The arrogant dismissal of Ian Roscrow | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The arrogant dismissal of Ian Roscrow

Dec 16, 2019
I have seen some threads about Ryan Lowe recently and most notably his questionable recruitment record.

Something that has always stuck with me was the sudden dismissal of Ian Roscrow when Lowe came on board. I didn't like some of the stuff that Lowe came out with about Ian Roscrow. I know that Lowe was Hot Sh*t at that stage but you've really got to back it up.

Here is the article for reference:
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... ow-3067176

Here are some of Lowes quotes:

“Recruitment is very easy really. Me and Schuey (assistant Steven Scumacher) have played in these leagues for 20-odd years and we have a lot of connections. We know a lot of people, a lot of agents and a lot of players."

“Recruitment depends on what you’re recruiting. Are you recruiting a 16-year-old that you are going to then sell for £5 million? I don’t think the club has sold anyone in that sort of region for five years, so the recruitment is recruitment for now."

People may disagree with me on this but it is a backward way of thinking. In these leagues, with margins so tight, you do need to build your own assets (young players) and move them on to survive. Buying 29 - 30-year-old mercenaries doesn't bring any long-term success, it never works. Yabbering on about 20-odd years experience as a journeyman target man doesn't bring me any confidence either.

Anyway. Would be interested to see what you all think of Lowe's approach of keeping it all in-house and was the dismissal of Ian Roscrow slightly premature?

Jul 24, 2009
Managers since the dawn of time have liked to bring in their own backroom team with them, assistants, coaches and chief scouts. Seem to remember Pulis and Holloway both brought in their own chief scouts (Lindsay Parsons and Garry Penrice respectively if memory serves). I'm not well up on the merits of Ian Roscrow's work and there is something to be said for consistency but I don't think its the oddest thing ever.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'd forgotten all about him. The most Yorkshire of Yorkshire accents I have ever heard. :greensmile:

Just a case of bad timing I reckon.

Apr 1, 2009
RickyPlows":1ewldstn said:
I have seen some threads about Ryan Lowe recently and most notably his questionable recruitment record.

Something that has always stuck with me was the sudden dismissal of Ian Roscrow when Lowe came on board. I didn't like some of the stuff that Lowe came out with about Ian Roscrow. I know that Lowe was Hot Sh*t at that stage but you've really got to back it up.

Here is the article for reference:
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/ ... ow-3067176

Here are some of Lowes quotes:

“Recruitment is very easy really. Me and Schuey (assistant Steven Scumacher) have played in these leagues for 20-odd years and we have a lot of connections. We know a lot of people, a lot of agents and a lot of players."

“Recruitment depends on what you’re recruiting. Are you recruiting a 16-year-old that you are going to then sell for £5 million? I don’t think the club has sold anyone in that sort of region for five years, so the recruitment is recruitment for now."

People may disagree with me on this but it is a backward way of thinking. In these leagues, with margins so tight, you do need to build your own assets (young players) and move them on to survive. Buying 29 - 30-year-old mercenaries doesn't bring any long-term success, it never works. Yabbering on about 20-odd years experience as a journeyman target man doesn't bring me any confidence either.

Anyway. Would be interested to see what you all think of Lowe's approach of keeping it all in-house and was the dismissal of Ian Roscrow slightly premature?

You've obviously got an axe to grind somewhere, but I'll give you a few thoughts.

The background was the sudden demise of Adams. A month before his dismissal, the team looked sure to stay up, and DA looked secure in his job. Roscrow had been recruited with such continuity in mind. Form then fell apart, the team and Adams headed towards the abyss, and Adams was dismissed after the Accrington debacle.

At this point the structure of the club's management will have been looked at. It's not at all unusual for new managers to bring in their own staff, resulting in the removal of some of their predecessor's team. The decision to recruit Neil Dewsnip, rather than the recruitment of Lowe, will I imagine be the catalyst for Roscrow's dismissal as player recruitment is a major part of Dewsnip's remit.

Roscrow will not have been dismissed by Lowe. It will have been a club decision, almost certainly rubber stamped by Simon Hallett.

Your views on developing our own assets with a view to selling them is a central part of Hallett's strategy. It's not something you can rush however. In most instances you need older players around them. Ironically, many fans are calling for more experienced recruits to lead our defence next season.

Mercenaries is a bitter word. How many players choose to come to Argyle, ahead of other clubs, purely because they pay big wages? I assume you are talking of the likes of Danny Mayor, disliked by some of those who don't like Lowe as a sort of symbol of "Lowe-ism".

Finally, to the quotes. Lowe talks a lot, and tends to be criticised for saying what he thinks people want to hear. In this instance it sounds more naive and tactless than arrogant to me. Talking of me, I can be quite critical of Lowe, so I'm not speaking as someone who thinks he's perfect.

Why bring this up now?

Dec 16, 2019
All fair points and I just wanted to open up the conversation. It’s something that stuck with me and was wondering if I was the only one.

For argyle, right now, I don’t think we can attract a better manager. So I’m certainly not out to get Ryan Lowe. I want him to take us up and to be successful.

However, there are aspects of his approach to the job that I’m not a huge fan of. This doesn’t change my support of him.

Mar 18, 2014
what a totally pointless thread, this guy left almost TWO YEARS ago, what is the point of dredging this crap up now

metroace

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Sep 8, 2011
Glenholt
Vampires11":1kowk4qo said:
what a totally pointless thread, this guy left almost TWO YEARS ago, what is the point of dredging this crap up now

It does make you think there is an agenda behind the original post.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
metroace":4f1ivmmy said:
Vampires11":4f1ivmmy said:

When I first saw it I presumed it was a new Conan Doyle tv show or maybe a new Harry Potter book?:

Sherlock Holmes and the Arrogant Dismissal of Ian Roscrow.

Harry Potter and the Arrogant Dismissal of Ian Roscrow.

Seems like Accrington Stanley lost a few people their jobs. Hardly Lowe's fault is it?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
A very strange thread.
As has already been mentioned, new managers like to bring their own staff.
I would have thought there would have been more sympathy for Kevin Hodges and Paul Atkinson leaving than Ian Roscrow.
Now, there were 2 long serving and loyal Argyle stalwarts but it was decided that the new management team wanted to make changes and we had to accept that.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I would agree I don't particularly like those quotes, especially 'recruitment is very easy really.'

It really isn't, as the amount of flops under any manager prove. And often the players you're sure will be a hit, fail to work out. And vice versa (Sonny Bradley being a good example).

But it seems clear he's learning all the time and embracing the data approach that Simon Hallett has encouraged, and actions speak louder than words in terms of the young players he's signed recently. Well, Niall Ennis at least.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
metroace":2kv96tj6 said:
Vampires11":2kv96tj6 said:

My thoughts also.