Anoraks 74 - One more season and it might have been gold! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Anoraks 74 - One more season and it might have been gold!

Jan 11, 2016
For each of us the first occasion was marked by a home win - against Barnsley, Scunthorpe and Sheffield Utd and the final occasion saw draws against Aston Villa at home, Grimsby away and Newcastle at home.

In between for me there were 72 occasions, and for the gold and silver medal winners 84 and 83 respectively.

For me the first occasion came in match 7, for the top man in match 2 and for the runner-up in match 4.

I'd like to think that if I'd had 7 seasons, or even just one more to match the top man's spread I could have snatched the top spot.

So who am I and who are the top two?

Aug 8, 2013
So what's the "occasion" ?

I've thought of and dismissed game winners, hat-tricks, braces,
penalties scored or saved, yellow/red cards, games as captain, and
games won as a manager, so that leaves, er.....

man of the match awards ?

Do records on that even exist ?

Jan 11, 2016
Two of us did it twice in victories over Hull and one of us did it once in a losing nine goal thriller against Hull.

But when Jephcott gets his hat-trick against them this afternoon it won't count in this 'competition'.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Sainghin Green":1ng6x6um said:
Two of us did it twice in victories over Hull and one of us did it once in a losing nine goal thriller against Hull.

But when Jephcott gets his hat-trick against them this afternoon it won't count in this 'competition'.
Per GoS, as the only 9 goal thriller with Hull involved Sammy Black scoring 2 goals, I assume that he is the missing player.

Jan 11, 2016
You're right davie nine - it's Sammy Black. For the record he just got the one goal in that 4-5 defeat at Hull.

So as far as I can see at Tier 2 the top scorers are

Wilf Carter 86 goals in 165 games at 0.51/game
Sammy Black 85 goals in 251 games at 0.33/game
Tommy Tynan 74 goals in 172 games at 0.43/game

As ever if there's an error in the stats please highlight it in the interest of accuracy.

One thing I noticed was that Tommy Tynan was almost an ever present during the four seasons involved with 40 or 40+ games a season whereas Wilf Carter never topped 36 games, so the opposition almost always had to worry about the threat from Tommy Tynan.

I wonder how long it's going to be before someone gets even within touching distance of these three. Jephcott in 5 years time or 10 if he's not at Barcelona by then!