• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Grant out injured and in came Lewis. 3-5-2 ? Jephcott and Ennis up front. MacLeod on the bench.

Pre-match music included “On the Beach” which was a bit of a worry !

Following the two minutes silence in aid of the passing of Prince Philip, Hull started brightly and their pressure led to an early booking for Watts, which looked harsh to me.

On 11 minutes a quick free kick by Honeyman, who took Argyle apart in the game at Hull this season, went to Wilks, whose pass out wide to Lewis-Potter was not cut out by the sliding Edwards, and he had an easy chance which he took to slot past Cooper. 0 v 1.

Argyle had only spasmodic attacks early on which both ended up with Lewis wasting good crossing chances.

On 23 minutes Wilkes had a chance to double the lead for Hull, following another free kick from Honeyman, but headed wide. Shortly after, Docherty shot from 20 yards and Cooper saved well down to his right and pushed the ball away.

Argyle had a good chance on 30 minutes when Camara, and then Fornah both shot goalwards, with Fornah´s shot forcing a save from Ingram. Ingram saved an even better chance on 39 minutes when Watts shot was well saved, and Watts then sent a header wide seconds later.

We are not getting much out of the ref, all 50:50´s are going to Hull, not helped by Hull players moaning and exaggerating fouls and so on.

Camera, Fornah, Cooper and Aimson doing well so far, but not much is sticking up front.

Argyle started well in the second half with Mayor involved in three promising attacks, one was trademark Mayor, running 40 odd yards on 55 minutes , dribbling into the box, but losing the ball just when you wanted him to get a shot away.

Opoku then made a critical mistake, back heeling the ball straight onto the foot of Honeyman, who stroked the ball through to Magennis, who had no problem scoring from 8 yards.

Hull then dominated with Honeyman and Wilks causing us problems.

Docherty then started and finished the move after a strong run to shoot the third goal with Cooper complaining that Magennis was offside and in his eye line.

Then came a series of subs with Moore, Reeves, Hardie, Lolos and MacLeod all coming on.

Argyle huffed their to try and get a consolation goal, with Mayor, Reeves and Lolos having late chances.

No complaints, Hull were by far the better side.

MoM Camera

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) I'm probably one of the few glad to see a return to 3-5-2, no doubt the formation will be blamed for a heavy defeat. No Grant due to injury, Lewis in at left-wing-back and Jephcott replaced Hardie alongside Ennis. MacLeod fit enough for a place on the bench. Watts returned to his more familiar LCB role. Tomlinson again on the bench.

2) Argyle started slowly and Hull dominated early on. Two early interventions by the referee had significant effects on the game. An early card for Watts for what was a stumble by the Hull player then a free-kick given against Fornah that was probably not a foul resulted in a quick free-kick and a well taken goal for Hull. Fornah, naive by complaining rather than blocking the kick.

3) Argyle grew into the half and there was little to tell between the two teams before halftime. Camará perhaps should have done better with one chance but that's harsh given that he, with Aimson were the stand out first half players in green. Watts had a shot well saved and we worked a couple of chances. At the other end Cooper caught a corner.

4) Hull were very quick to go to ground and every coming together left their players clutching ankles or legs, including when the fouls were theirs. Also had a habit of pinching yards at free-kicks and throw-ins. The referee was poor and only saw things one way, at one point allowing a Hull player to stand 6 yards from an Argyle free-kick, and subsequently clear the ball.

5) Argyle started the second brightly and a cross from Lewis flashed across the Hull area. Jephcott perhaps could have thrown himself at it. Ennis came in for some strong challenges but nothing given. Mayor did well to cut into the box but the ball was taken off his toe as he shaped to shoot. Then against the run of play Opoku was caught in possession and it was 2.

6) After conceding the second we dropped our heads a bit and we started hitting it long and giving away possession easily. Jephcott was slid into from behind, nothing given. The Argyle players were getting fed up with the ref's decisions, or lack of them. A tangle between number of players was broken up by the referee. Mayor walking away shaking his head.

7) Hull pressure set up their third, midfield slow to recover from advanced positions, Camará particularly slow, not sure where Fornah had gone. Lowe rang the changes. Reeves, Moore and Hardie replaced Japhcott, Camará and Watts with Moore and Hardie flanking Ennis and Mayor and Reeves more centrally.

8 ) Lolos and McLeod replaced Ennis and Fornah. We pressed and kept trying. Reeves waited too long for a ball to drop, Lolos shot just over and had a header easily saved. Hull looked like they may get another on the counter attack.

9) Defeat by a technically much better side but a much improved performance on recent games. Individual errors cost us. Camara and Aimson had good games. Mayor (probably motm) and Lewis grew into the game too. Edwards had a rare average performance. Hull a class above, probably reflecting where they have come from, but why the need for all the antics?

Michael Cooper - 6
Will Aimson - 7
Jerome Opoku - 6
Kelland Watts - 6
Joe Edwards - 5
Tyrese Fornah - 4
Adam Lewis - 7
Panutche Camará - 7
Danny Mayor - 8
Luke Jephcott - 6
Niall Ennis - 6

Luke McCormick - unused
Ollie Tomlinson - unused
Lewis MacLeod - 5
Ben Reeves - 5
Byron Moore - 5
Klaidi Lolos - 5
Ryan Hardie - 5

Men v Boys for most of the match.

Argyle very predictable in passing back ALL the time.

1st half stats show 3/10 successful crosses - that IS so much better !!!!!!!!

Hull a very physical team, built like Rugby League players.

And the ref MUST have come from Hull ?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
1) utterly flaccid

2) formation doesn’t work and hasn’t for 90% of the season

3) all loan players to return, and all out of contract players to move on.

4) big rebuild next season and Lowe HAS to improve his tactics, game management and selection

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
One of the traits Hallett wanted in a manager and that he saw in Lowe was someone who was willing to learn. So what’s the learning from this season? I’d suggest playing 3 at the back with inexperience in your defensive positions and in the anchor midfield role is just inviting trouble. It’s a system for quality and cool heads and we don’t have enough of that. And you can see the nervousness of our players when it goes wrong. They lose the plot. Overall the balance of experience and youth is just wrong and playing an expansive game exposes it.

So. We will see that he learns over the summer by who he ships out and who he brings in and how he sets up. He’s too young to be a leopard that doesn’t change its spots. He has to adjust to the evidence. Playing this way with these players just isn’t working.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Not sure how I feel about that one. On one hand, we were beaten comfortably by a team who will be promoted. No disgrace there.

On the other, I can’t imagine they would have many more comfortable wins than that this season. It just felt scarily easy for them, which isn’t great.

And for all our focus on ball-playing and possession, we find it incredibly difficult to impose ourselves and dominate the ball for any sort of period. Ok you might not expect to do it against Hull, but we couldn’t get a grip on the Bristol Rovers (despite winning) and Shrewsbury games either.

And don’t really care about the ref’s performance either, it didn’t impact the result of that game at all, in my view.

May 28, 2019
Michael Cooper - 7
Will Aimson - 7
Jerome Opoku - 6
Kelland Watts - 7
Joe Edwards - 6
Tyrese Fornah - 6
Adam Lewis - 5
Panutche Camará - 5
Danny Mayor - 6
Luke Jephcott - 5
Niall Ennis - 5

Luke McCormick - unused
Ollie Tomlinson - unused
Lewis MacLeod - 5
Ben Reeves - 6
Byron Moore - 5
Klaidi Lolos - 7
Ryan Hardie - 6
lolos came on and had more chances and looked more creative in 10 mins , than what jephcott and ennis had in their 80 mins put together

Oct 5, 2013
The result and tactics were utterly predictable, so I'm not surprised.
We were getting back into the game for the last 30 of the first half. I thought we had a real chance to get to 1-1 in the second but Mayor, predictably again, failed to get a shot off - I really don't understand why RL allows him to continue playing without shooting like this, but once again RL is utterly predictable where Mayor is concerned. Perhaps it's in the game-plan that Mayor must get into scoring positions and then not get a shot off.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We lost both halves but in reality we were so much better in the first half, as usual.

Hull started well and were clearly a better team, we got caught out by a quick free-kick and it was one nil. A more experienced team would have used game management and stopped that quick free-kick.
Hull then looked to run away with it but for the last 20 or so minutes we more than matched Hull and created some good opportunities.
Camara had a shot blocked followed by a Fornah shot saved, there were also some half chances so credit to the players for recovering from conceding that early goal.

As usual the second half was a disaster. It wasn't quite the early goal we usually concede but it was a gift. Opoku was dawdling on the edge of the penalty area and was robbed and it's suddenly 2-0.
Heads dropped, loan suitcases were packed and the game was over, much like the season.

Mayor tried his best, he's so good at beating players but not so good of finding a shot.

The inevitable third goal started with another assist from one of our loan players - Fornah chose to pass backwards when he could have just as easily passed forwards (we're 2 nil down for flip sake!), we lost the ball and it's 3 nil although there's a hint of offside due a Hull player blocking the view of Cooper.

The substitute bingo started but not one of our young players.
Lolos did come on in the second round of sub bingo but Tomlinson must wonder when he will ever get a game.
When will a substitute ever have some affect on the game? It's substitutes by numbers with no real intent to improve the team.

Hull are a very good team, there was a feeling they never really went through the gears but we did match them in the first half. It's no disgrace to lose against the league leaders. However, it was another second half collapse, the team simply doesn't have the right mental determination to turn around a setback of conceding a goal.

We've only come from behind to win a game once this season in the league. We don't have leaders, we have too many young players on loan and the whole set-up lacks the tactical nous to turn games around.

The hope is everyone learns from this season and makes the correct adjustments and signings for next season.

For the remaining five games let's play some of our own young players instead of any loan players.
Law will return from Torquay next week match fit, Tomlinson deserves to play and let's start with Lolos.

Man of the Match - Mayor.

Cooper 6, Aimson 6, Opoku 4, Watts 4, Fornah 4, Edwards 6, Camara 6, Mayor 7, Lewis 5, Jephcott 5, Ennis 5. Subs - Reeves 5, Hardie 5, Moore 4, Lolos n/a, Macleod n/a.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Rinse, repeat- Fornah away with the fairies not streetwise, Opoku dawdles no urgency- game over mountain to climb & the 3rd the cherry on the top

So much for RLs spouting on Monday- the mindset of the players cannot be changed in a couple of days

Hull were clinical, had us on toast, played the dark arts to the max- it may not be attractive but it gets results

It was men against boys- where are the nasty b******ds in the team that can drag everyone by the boot straps - the performance was passive & not enjoyable to watch

I have severely lost patience with the loaness we have- wet behind the ears, petulant to a extreme , cant believe it when the ref doesnt give a decision in their favour- they will go back to their parent clubs at the end of the season & we will be left wondering did they better what we already had- probably not , were they good at giving away soft goals yes, were they guilty of poor decision making yes, do they care- well after the poor showings of the last couple of weeks that is up for debate

This season is petering out to a trickle- i would send the loanees back but we probably dont have enough players to fill the gaps- i dont think i will bother listening to RLs sound bites- clearly his dressing down behind close doors has not worked which suggests to me the players have checked out of this season :banghead:

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Big difference between the sides was the speed of passing, Hull were invariably quicker to the ball and releasing it leaving Argyle chasing shadows. Seen this too many times this season.

Oct 5, 2013
mutley marvel":3vj35lc3 said:
Rinse, repeat- Fornah away with the fairies not streetwise, Opoku dawdles no urgency- game over mountain to climb & the 3rd the cherry on the top

So much for RLs spouting on Monday- the mindset of the players cannot be changed in a couple of days

Hull were clinical, had us on toast, played the dark arts to the max- it may not be attractive but it gets results

It was men against boys- where are the nasty b******ds in the team that can drag everyone by the boot straps - the performance was passive & not enjoyable to watch

I have severely lost patience with the loaness we have- wet behind the ears, petulant to a extreme , cant believe it when the ref doesnt give a decision in their favour- they will go back to their parent clubs at the end of the season & we will be left wondering did they better what we already had- probably not , were they good at giving away soft goals yes, were they guilty of poor decision making yes, do they care- well after the poor showings of the last couple of weeks that is up for debate

This season is petering out to a trickle- i would send the loanees back but we probably dont have enough players to fill the gaps- i dont think i will bother listening to RLs sound bites- clearly his dressing down behind close doors has not worked which suggests to me the players have checked out of this season :banghead:

But it wasn't just behind closed doors, it was a public dressing down as well ! Not worked either. Perhaps it's not all down to the players, perhaps the game-plan is flawed?

Aug 8, 2013
First the credits.....

Aimson was good again, Cooper couldn't be faulted,
Opoku was good except for we know what, the top two
worked hard on little service again, and Lewis, despite
what others have said, produced our most dangerous
deliveries into the box.

And then...

our right side was once again non-functional as an
attacking threat;
unless we're planning to sign them long term, can we
please stop nurturing other teams' youngsters, and suffering
from their errors;
no doubt I'm in the minority, but I shan't be sorry if Mayor's
contract is not extended. His dribbling and ball retention are
indeed fantastic, but he can't pass, can't shoot, and can't use
his left foot. All fur coat and no knickers.
No subs until we're 3-nil down.
In the end, it was Plymouth Argyle nil, and never really looked
like being anything else.
Bring on Burton.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
mutley marvel":2j1z8g9s said:

:clap:

No fight, no guile, no reaction.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
I am going to give Argyle three A's.Abysmal,atrocious,abject.humiliating match against a good side.my ratings;
Michael Cooper - 3
Will Aimson - 3
Jerome Opoku - 2
Kelland Watts - 0
Joe Edwards - 1
Tyrese Fornah - 0
Adam Lewis - 2
Panutche Camará - 0
Danny Mayor - 0
Luke Jephcott - 4
Niall Ennis - 4
management team minus google for failing to motivate the team again! :furious:
i gave Jephcott and Ennis 4 each because they had no service.