Summer Recruitment | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Summer Recruitment

mutley marvel

Cream First
āœ… Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
RL has finally come out & said what we have been saying for months- we need promotion winners, we need men

What can we honestly expect from him & is inner circle in terms of recruitment

Listening to Neil Dewsnip on the recent fans forum suggested this is the business model, we will not be deviating it is all data, data, data

Have they finally woken up & smelt the coffee & realised they have to rip it up & start again whether that be looking at their coaching methods,strategy,developing Plans B & C has we are a one trick pony, philosophy, game management & how they can improve in their individual roles

Or do they look at player recruitment & think we need seasoned pros that have been there,seen it done it- who also have a fine tuned footballing brain that can give us the edge,the guile, the drive, the leadership, i will take no crap- the characteristics we have been missing all season

I cant help thinking we are somewhat restricted in players we need & desire due to the rigid playing style- i want centre half bruisers who will head, kick the ball away & none of this tippy,tappy nonsense that we have had to endure all season long

For that to happen RL needs to look at himself & seriously think about whether his rigid formation can be achieved with the players he has at is disposal or whether he has to man up & realise we are Argyle, not Liverpool,Man City,Barcelona & stop name dropping all the contacts he has. (these contacts are at the top of their game with elite players at their disposal) we are league 1 so why would you go there in the 1st place- oh i forgot we are a PL baby sitting service but this season we have been well & truly shafted with the players that have been sent our way. Fulham, Liverpool, Newcastle , Forest probably could not care less about how their, yes their players perform after all it is a conveyor belt, one leaves the next one comes in & the cycle continues

I for one hope RL goes for quality over quantity- i know Covid has restricted us this season but surely it is more cost effective to look for out of contract seasoned pros who have the whole package than doing favours for mates in the PL

If nothing changes over the close season & RL is all mouth no action then next season will be a repeat of this :sad:

Forest of Dean Green

āœ… Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
I donā€™t think the belief in data will go away or is in any way a problem. Itā€™s about getting a competitive edge. What he does seem to have realised is that the age profile of the team is wrong. He needs a few experienced cool heads. I also think that will help him with bringing through youth. They will continue to do that and it is the right strategy. But too many (and the Class of 92 type argument doesnā€™t prevail easily at this level, as the quality isnā€™t the same) and mental fragility, errors and recovery from them will be way harder. And some of these boys lack the physicality still as they are growing. Jeffers being a prime example.

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
We need a strong commanding spine to our team.

Experience and quality in the right areas.

New CBā€™s and keeping Aimson and wood if available. Releasing Opoku, Watts Wootton

New Fullbacks releasing Moore and Adams

New CDM releasing Fornah and Macleod keeping Edwards

Additions in CM keeping Grant Mayor and Camara

Additional CF keeping Ennis and Hardie/Jephcott

Loans to add add options to our team, not build the team around them with no alternatives

Oct 5, 2013
Tugboat":3917gcjl said:

New CBā€™s and keeping Aimson and wood if available. Releasing Opoku, Watts Wootton

Loans to add add options to our team, not build the team around them with no alternatives

What a good post, and I find I agree with every single thing you say!

Oct 5, 2013
The physicality of Hull yesterday was a real lesson, they completely overwhelmed us everywhere with their physique, it was really like a no-contest purely because of that. Almost any one of their players was able to shrug off two or three of ours, and without the loss of any manoeuvrability or pace. Like watching a different ā€˜breedā€™ of player altogether. Can we compete with this if we donā€™t change tack to some extent?

Forest of Dean Green

āœ… Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
philevs":16yhaqxo said:
Tugboat":16yhaqxo said:

What a good post, and I find I agree with every single thing you say!

Some interesting data here on age. We appear to have the 4th youngest squad in LG1 but, importantly, are one of only 2 teams in the top 4 divisions to have given over a third of playing time to players under the age of 21. So we are relying more on youth than others. Seems consistent with our desire to add value to our own youth players but it doesnā€™t help if too many are loanees or if it as the expense of winning!

Hull, interestingly, despite the ā€˜men against boysā€™ narrative have a younger squad. Iā€™m guessing they just donā€™t play the younger players much (abs have a larger squad??). https://experimental361.com/2021/03/28/ ... -mar-2021/

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
This budget that a lot of people keep referring to, where's it coming from? Mr Hallett has already told us that he won't be contributing with any more large lump sums.
So it's down mainly to Season Ticket sales? Am i the only one thinking that these could well drop because of the uncertainty of what may be lurking around the corner combined with what is looking like a gloomy end to this Season?

Oct 5, 2013
Ponty":grmzg6q9 said:
This budget that a lot of people keep referring to, where's it coming from? Mr Hallett has already told us that he won't be contributing with any more large lump sums.
So it's down mainly to Season Ticket sales? Am i the only one thinking that these could well drop because of the uncertainty of what may be lurking around the corner combined with what is looking like a gloomy end to this Season?

Yes Iā€™d wondered that too!
The budget must depend on projected income from having crowds again, I suppose.

Jul 12, 2016
mutley marvel":ppgwvfvr said:
RL has finally come out & said what we have been saying for months- we need promotion winners, we need men

What can we honestly expect from him & is inner circle in terms of recruitment

Listening to Neil Dewsnip on the recent fans forum suggested this is the business model, we will not be deviating it is all data, data, data

Have they finally woken up & smelt the coffee & realised they have to rip it up & start again whether that be looking at their coaching methods,strategy,developing Plans B & C has we are a one trick pony, philosophy, game management & how they can improve in their individual roles

Or do they look at player recruitment & think we need seasoned pros that have been there,seen it done it- who also have a fine tuned footballing brain that can give us the edge,the guile, the drive, the leadership, i will take no crap- the characteristics we have been missing all season

I cant help thinking we are somewhat restricted in players we need & desire due to the rigid playing style- i want centre half bruisers who will head, kick the ball away & none of this tippy,tappy nonsense that we have had to endure all season long

For that to happen RL needs to look at himself & seriously think about whether his rigid formation can be achieved with the players he has at is disposal or whether he has to man up & realise we are Argyle, not Liverpool,Man City,Barcelona & stop name dropping all the contacts he has. (these contacts are at the top of their game with elite players at their disposal) we are league 1 so why would you go there in the 1st place- oh i forgot we are a PL baby sitting service but this season we have been well & truly shafted with the players that have been sent our way. Fulham, Liverpool, Newcastle , Forest probably could not care less about how their, yes their players perform after all it is a conveyor belt, one leaves the next one comes in & the cycle continues

I for one hope RL goes for quality over quantity- i know Covid has restricted us this season but surely it is more cost effective to look for out of contract seasoned pros who have the whole package than doing favours for mates in the PL

If nothing changes over the close season & RL is all mouth no action then next season will be a repeat of this :sad:
Well put!

RKB

ā™£ļø PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Tugboat nailed it, basically.
Woods would be a decent signing, if available and within budget. Beyond him and Aimson, we need one with brawn and experience and one with pace and mobility (a Vyner or a Nelson type).
2 actual full backs. So Edwards and Grant are available in their proper positions. But can play there if 1st choices in those positions are unavailable.
2 streetwise DM's. A creative one and a tough-tackling one - Norburn at Shrewsbury springs to mind.
We have Mayor, Camara, Grant and George Cooper for CM/AM. We need a League 1 Sarcevic.
Up front we have Ennis, Jephcott and Hardie. We need 2 with strength and ability in the air. Possibly one of those to be 1st choice with Ennis initially.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Ponty":19shqbv9 said:

I think you are correct that we will have to constrain expenditure to some degree, but there will be an abundance of out of contract players looking for a job, so that might even itself out, really some clubs are dead in the water, probably Swindon for example. Our season ticket holders have stood resolute with the club thus far which is a good omen.

We will continue to field some inexperienced players though they may be home grown this time, thats part of the Boards stated agenda. Similarly it is safe to say we will continue to be driven by the data analytics that seem to serve Brentford so well.

What I read into the signing of Ennis is that Dewsnip ( for he seems largely a Dewsnip signing with the England connection ) has woken up and smelt the coffee in terms of the quality we need when it comes to taking on young players for development. I am hoping that a lesson has been learnt and that the Ennis signing is evidence that we are upping the young player requitment quality accordingly. As ever though its not just about who we want..... its also about who is prepared to come here and I do think that works against us at times.

This was a very difficult era to come into league 1, thats a major transition, supporters dont see it because they are not able to think of us as a League 2 club in the first place, progress has been satisfactory though frustrating at times. A busy summer now beckons as so many of our own squad are out of contract or due a retirement. If its more of the same next year well Houston we have a problem, till then I'm choosing to look forward with optimism.

Apr 1, 2009
Ponty":1byuhqru said:

I've said this a couple of times when people have been demanding multiple experienced and able pros for next season. There is a reason that we have our motley band of loanees. It's because they are cheap.

I think it is correct that there will be a lot of experienced players out of contract this summer - a major reason being that their employers can't afford to renew all their top earners. Will we be able to afford the better ones, or will we have to gamble on those that may have seen better days - the Reeves and Macleods of this world?

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
xmastree":2vt981zb said:
Ponty":2vt981zb said:

I've said this a couple of times when people have been demanding multiple experienced and able pros for next season. There is a reason that we have our motley band of loanees. It's because they are cheap.

I think it is correct that there will be a lot of experienced players out of contract this summer - a major reason being that their employers can't afford to renew all their top earners. Will we be able to afford the better ones, or will we have to gamble on those that may have seen better days - the Reeves and Macleods of this world?
Exactly the point I was trying to make. Good players cost money, normally a fee and big wages.

I think of footballers like a car, the more you spend the better it'll be :D