Jephcott's price tag | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Jephcott's price tag

Aug 24, 2009
Five million pounds for a player who was on fire before Christmas, sadly the fire as gone out. My concern is not that he is not scoring but does not even look like he is going too. He is worth nothing like our price tag although there is no harm in asking, there is an awful lot of money being splashed about in football, some of the clubs are getting a lot of money only for the players to go out on loan or spend the season sitting ion the subs bench. Is he worth keeping.

Jan 21, 2007
I saw that too ... mental.

I think those articles were churned out by bloggers rather than anyone in the know ... one guy even likened Luke to Harry Kane :funny:

Jul 12, 2016
charlieboy":3a9amqze said:
Five million pounds for a player who was on fire before Christmas, sadly the fire as gone out. My concern is not that he is not scoring but does not even look like he is going too. He is worth nothing like our price tag although there is no harm in asking, there is an awful lot of money being splashed about in football, some of the clubs are getting a lot of money only for the players to go out on loan or spend the season sitting ion the subs bench. Is he worth keeping.
£5m is pure speculation and IMO pie in the sky.If anybody was to make an offer anywhere near that amount I would accept.
However I still think that Jephcott will come good again so if he stays we will hopefully benefit in time.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i still think a minimum of £10 million is the very least.he is our top scorer this season and will remain so!our midfield players are not able to give him fuel to fire.i am a green tint and particularly want one of our own to do well.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I'm not sure where the £5 million came from but Ryan Lowe mentioned £3.5 million back in December when Jephcott was regularly scoring goals ...
"Luke is in no rush to go anywhere, we are no in rush to let him leave. He has still got a lot of learning to do.
“Anyone who rings up about Jephcott, the phone will be getting put down because we don’t need to sell.
“If they want to ring at the end of the season after he has scored 25 goals it will probably cost them £3.5 million.
“It’s whether anyone has got £3.5m at the moment. Honestly, we are not even looking into that, we haven’t even thought of it.”

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
The bloke is 21 years old, has played 66 times for us and scored 25 goals.

He's in pretty awful form currently, but so is the rest of the side. I'd expect him to continue something like that sort of goal ratio at this level because he's a natural finisher, and it will obviously help to have more quality around him.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
It is not unusual for prolific goal scorers to have purple patches followed by barren spells.
Look at Calvert-Lewin this season, for example.
Jephcott will come good again even if we have to wait until next season.

Apr 1, 2009
Hargyle":2a175gxy said:
I saw that too ... mental.

I think those articles were churned out by bloggers rather than anyone in the know ... one guy even likened Luke to Harry Kane :funny:

Someone on here also made the Kane comparison - bizarre!

Apr 1, 2009
Steve Evans":350suqew said:
i still think a minimum of £10 million is the very least.he is our top scorer this season and will remain so!our midfield players are not able to give him fuel to fire.i am a green tint and particularly want one of our own to do well.

Every genuine Argyle fan wants Jephcott to do well, because if he succeeds it benefits Argyle in multiple ways. He also comes across as a genuine lad. I don't however see how these fantasy price tags (and the rest of the over-hype) helps him at all. If anything it just ramps up the pressure.

He won't be moving in the near future, so why doesn't everyone forget price tags etc., for the moment, and let Jephcott concentrate on recovering his form?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
xmastree":1jw678ju said:

I don't think anyone sane is saying he's remotely comparable to Kane in quality. But it's a perfectly reasonable point to say he's the same type of player, though that's debatable too.

I certainly made a comparison to Kane in terms of his natural finishing, relative lack of speed, not appearing to be fantastic at any one thing, and ability and willingness to drop and play a through ball to a pacier strike partner.

We might be able to add being written off after a poor run of form, after his breakthrough year :whistle:

C

Cult Of Personality

200k at tops . There are so many flaws in his game .

Jan 27, 2012
Jephcott is a good finisher (when he is provided with chances) but his overall game is League One standard. I’m not yet convinced he is Championship quality and I think that rules out any multi-million pound transfer fees. If he can hit 20 goals again next season then he may go a bit further towards proving himself- but it looks to me he has found his level for the time being.

Apr 1, 2009
Biggs":22p7j6ta said:
xmastree":22p7j6ta said:

I don't think anyone sane is saying he's remotely comparable to Kane in quality. But it's a perfectly reasonable point to say he's the same type of player, though that's debatable too.

I certainly made a comparison to Kane in terms of his natural finishing, relative lack of speed, not appearing to be fantastic at any one thing, and ability and willingness to drop and play a through ball to a pacier strike partner.

We might be able to add being written off after a poor run of form, after his breakthrough year :whistle:

Very honest of you to admit that, Biggs.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
This is a fan forum so everybody is entitled to their opinion, of course, but I am utterly convinced that there is a portion of contributors on here who enjoy misfortune. I have never once seen you contribute anything remotely positive. It’s very odd.

Sep 2, 2008
For me, Jephcott is the sort of player that someone may take a punt on. So, not much paid up front but maybe a hefty percentage of any sell on clause.

People mention about the transformation of Calvert Lewin, well, look at him when he was woeful and look at him now.

Jephcott needs to work hard on his weight management and strength which will then naturally increase his speed if he really wants to be a force to be reckoned with in football. The guy is undoubtedly a clever footballer, I just hope he's clever enough to realise that if he wants to be successful then he needs to address his physique. He's been given an opportunity that many hope for but never attain, just hope he doesn't throw it away.