Assessment of RLs season | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Assessment of RLs season

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
How that we have limped over the line & guaranteed League 1 next season what our are thoughts of RLs performance during this season

What has he excelled at

What has he misjudged

What could he have done better

What will is end of season report card say

What will he be looking to change in readiness for next season

He mentioned on Thursday in is pre match interview that he now realises what is required to be competitive in League 1 but talk is cheap & actions speak louder than words

Watching week in week out for the last couple of months has not been a pleasurable experience- infact i would call this season the rinse repeat season as we all know what is coming even before the boys have kicked off

Hopefully we might be pleasantly surprised next season but mt gut instinct tells me RL is set in is ways :think:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
It's his first season as a L1 manager, we've had good runs, we've had bad runs, we've beaten very good teams (Sunderland, Lincoln etc) and lost against poor teams (Northampton, Rochdale etc), ultimately we've stayed in the League. He's mentioned that next season we'll need to focus our recruitment a little more around experience, which I think we all agree with, less of an emphasis on loanees will also be important.

It's not been a fantastic season, it's not been a bad one either. It's been pretty much what I expected. The standard of League 1 definitely seems better than when we were last in it.

6/10 overall.

I think a realistic target next season will be to finish in the top half, perhaps flirt with a play off push.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I don't think we limped over the line. I think the final league table will show we were safe with about 8 games to go. Our finishing position will be close to what most hoped for or expected last August. Due to the covid situation it has been an unusual season in many ways and to stay up relatively comfortably is for me a satisfactory season. There are lessons to be learnt and I trust with the personnel we have running the football side of things they will largely be addressed. I think the teams that are coming down this season which looks like Rotherham, Wednesday and Wycombe will possibly be not quite as strong overall as Hull, Peterborough and Sunderland should they be the 3 to go up. My expectation for next season is that we will improve sufficiently to be a top 10 side and in that case we should be close to mounting a challenge for the play offs.

Sep 25, 2010
mutley marvel":byck51t4 said:
How that we have limped over the line & guaranteed League 1 next season what our are thoughts of RLs performance during this season

What has he excelled at

What has he misjudged

He mentioned on Thursday in is pre match interview that he now realises what is required to be competitive in League 1 but talk is cheap & actions speak louder than words

Watching week in week out for the last couple of months has not been a pleasurable experience- infact i would call this season the rinse repeat season as we all know what is coming even before the boys have kicked off

Hopefully we might be pleasantly surprised next season but mt gut instinct tells me RL is set in is ways :think:

OMG. :facepalm:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
mutley marvel":2yfhu1qn said:

What has he excelled at

What has he misjudged

For someone who was only an observer on here until 2 months ago, you have certainly hit the ground running.
I think that we have managed to consolidate our position reasonably well. 2 dodgy runs of 6 and then 5 defeats have given us some cause for concern and I think that RL will have learnt from crucial mistakes, normally, but not exclusively, made by our loaned defenders. Mistakes in this league are punished more ruthlessly than in League 2 and I believe that he will take action to rectify by recruiting more experience in crucial defensive positions and a stronger and more positive midfield who are capable of taking the pressure off Mayor, if he stays, in moving us forward.
We have the nucleus of a squad capable of challenging for promotion but the quality of summer recruitment is very important.

Aug 3, 2013
Coningsby
We stayed up

He got rid of some of the dross in Jan

He managed to find a possible gem of a striker in Ennis.

He has hopefully realised that the defence needs sorting and has a proper window to address that

Lack of fans has had a massive impact on finances so have to get what we can.

Big learning curve, but we stayed up

Jul 12, 2016
davie nine":3otlx1ov said:
mutley marvel":3otlx1ov said:

What has he excelled at

What has he misjudged

For someone who was only an observer on here until 2 months ago, you have certainly hit the ground running.
I think that we have managed to consolidate our position reasonably well. 2 dodgy runs of 6 and then 5 defeats have given us some cause for concern and I think that RL will have learnt from crucial mistakes, normally, but not exclusively, made by our loaned defenders. Mistakes in this league are punished more ruthlessly than in League 2 and I believe that he will take action to rectify by recruiting more experience in crucial defensive positions and a stronger and more positive midfield who are capable of taking the pressure off Mayor, if he stays, in moving us forward.
We have the nucleus of a squad capable of challenging for promotion but the quality of summer recruitment is very important.
"We have the nucleus of a squad capable of challenging for promotion"? We have misfiring forwards,a weak midfield and error prone defence. With Lowe in charge I unfortunately expect more of the same next season.

May 8, 2011
Based on what was said in August about how good the recruitment was and also the hype that Argyle would play a fast attractive attacking style the season has been a big disappointment.

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006
HC Green":22lkpm49 said:
Based on what was said in August about how good the recruitment was and also the hype that Argyle would play a fast attractive attacking style the season has been a big disappointment.

Let’s be honest we could have won the league by February, winning every match by 3 clear goals and you’d suggest if DA were at the helm we would have won it by January and won every game by 4.

It’s been a season of transition with highs and lows, we are safe from relegation and have shifted some deadwood, and may have a couple of wee nuggets and to me that’s a positive. Could it have been better? Of course it could but it could have been a lot worse as well!

The world has been knocked sideways and is finally finding its feet again, let’s look forward to next season and seeing the team move on and move up the table.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
HC Green":nqiz6f4u said:

How disappointed would you have been HC if we had conceded 80 goals with a more experienced defence used for the majority of the season and got relegated ,despite having a 19 goal striker and attacking players like Carey , Lameiras and Sarcevic in the line up . Would the manager have displeased you under those circumstances ?

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
DartingtonPilgrim":tqw8a9je said:
HC Green":tqw8a9je said:

How disappointed would you have been HC if we had conceded 80 goals with a more experienced defence used for the majority of the season and got relegated ,despite having a 19 goal striker and attacking players like Carey , Lameiras and Sarcevic in the line up . Would the manager have displeased you under those circumstances ?

And spent more.

Oct 20, 2015
jerryatricjanner":3tcatwc9 said:
I don't think we limped over the line. I think the final league table will show we were safe with about 8 games to go. Our finishing position will be close to what most hoped for or expected last August. Due to the covid situation it has been an unusual season in many ways and to stay up relatively comfortably is for me a satisfactory season. There are lessons to be learnt and I trust with the personnel we have running the football side of things they will largely be addressed. I think the teams that are coming down this season which looks like Rotherham, Wednesday and Wycombe will possibly be not quite as strong overall as Hull, Peterborough and Sunderland should they be the 3 to go up. My expectation for next season is that we will improve sufficiently to be a top 10 side and in that case we should be close to mounting a challenge for the play offs.

You don't think we limped over the line? Hardly a sprint finish though, was it? We may well finish 20th which is survival and nothing else. Indeed most of us had resigned ourselves to mid-table mediocrity as early as Christmas. That seems like luxury now.

"Due to the COVID situation blah blah"
Same for everyone, or hadn't you noticed?

RL gets another chance to recruit this summer. His third window. We need to see some shrewd dealing on a limited budget, otherwise we're in for another poor season. We know RL can't turn lead into gold, so he needs to start with decent players. And maybe learn more about man management at the cost of dressing room japes.

In answer to the OP's post:
C-, could and should do better.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
oldage":yqbhmehp said:
davie nine":yqbhmehp said:
mutley marvel":yqbhmehp said:

What has he excelled at

What has he misjudged

"We have the nucleus of a squad capable of challenging for promotion"? We have misfiring forwards,a weak midfield and error prone defence. With Lowe in charge I unfortunately expect more of the same next season.
By nucleus, I mean Mike Cooper, Niall Ennis, Ryan Hardie, Panutche Camara, George Cooper, Luke Jephcott, Adam Randell and, possibly, Danny Mayor, Will Aimson, Conor Grant.
You may not see that as a nucleus but those are my suggestions.
I am sure you don’t agree about Mayor but, of the others, who would you prefer not to have?

Look at the three who went up with us. Swindon for certain and Northampton probably going straight back down, whilst title winners Alex just a few points ahead of us. I recall many posters on here at the start of the season looking forward to a mid-table consolidation, yet we have so many complaints when that is what we got.

I wouldn’t swap our ownership and general management set-up for any other club in this league, and with careful summer recruitment and crowds back I’m optimistic for next season.