I was wondering about 'Data' | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

I was wondering about 'Data'

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I was only thing last night, do you think this team was collated due to data and stats?

IF it was, then I don't rate it at all.

IF it wasn't, then I look forward to a better season in the coming twelve months, no matter what division we're in.

I must admit though, I'm not too sure if I can cope 'with the likes of' (yes I said it) Harrogate and Barrow, even though I still haven't got used to Fleetwood and Burton. :shock:

My name is Ian Newell and I am a football snob. :oops:

0-6 at home? What the hell.................

Jul 12, 2016
IJN":2p11p88a said:
I was only thing last night, do you think this team was collated due to data and stats?

IF it was, then I don't rate it at all.

IF it wasn't, then I look forward to a better season in the coming twelve months, no matter what division we're in.

I must admit though, I'm not too sure if I can cope 'with the likes of' (yes I said it) Harrogate and Barrow, even though I still haven't got used to Fleetwood and Burton. :shock:

My name is Ian Newell and I am a football snob. :oops:

0-6 at home? What the hell.................
This is what concerns me .Are Lowe and Co so obsessed with data that they are all looking at a screen this morning to check they haven't got a virus in the programme! Stats help but unlike Hallett you cannot base decisions on football matches by scrutinising spreadsheets and analysing figures.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
We were told a lot of research is done before we sign a new player and whether he has the right character to fit into the team.
Lowe seemed perplexed last night that the players are soft and lack leadership skills. Hello! They've been like that all season!

They may be nice guys but there's no fight amongst them and surely all of their deficiencies would have been picked up through data and research?

When the chips are down the players go missing - we've come from behind to win just one league game all season.
You can have all the data you want but football fans are not stupid, we have years of experience and can see the good and bad in players without data analytics.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I think the vast majority of players are still almost all Lowe/Dewsnip signings. Obviously all the Bury ones are, the Argyle youth products were here, and Ennis/Lewis I believe were players Dewsnip was aware of from the England youth setup.

I don't think the data has taken much effect yet, and I don't think we've really seen any 'thinking outside the envelope' players yet either. Maybe Camara (who I'd still say has been a good signing) and MacLeod, but even they were very well known in L2 and L1.

The Doctor

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I donā€™t think ā€˜the dataā€™ was behind the signing of many of the players currently at Argyle. I think the financial uncertainty regarding this season was/is a huge factor in quite a lot of the player recruitment.

In the former category (data-led) I suggest the following players/signings:

GCooper, Camara, Hardie (perhaps), Ennis

In the latter category (finance-led) I suggest:

Opoku, Watts, Lewis, Woods, MacLeod, Reeves

Obviously some of those in the latter category might have good aspects to their data, but I suggest that the primary reason we have them is because we needed players quickly and they were relatively cheap and available.

For me, the pretty obvious defining factor that differentiates the two groups is the length of contract they have. All of the first group have, I think, at least 2 year contracts. All of the second group are loans or have short (one year) contracts. I donā€™t think being data-driven means that every single player acquisition is solely data driven, I think it means that data is the key factor in signing players on longer contracts (spending versus investment). Over time (a few seasons) as the squad builds, more and more of the players will fall into the data-led acquisition and there will be less reliance (but still some use of) loans and short-term fillers.

Like most things, this isnā€™t an ā€˜all or nothingā€™ approach.

Graham Green

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
May 26, 2010
Swindon
Selected by careful Data analysis or name out of a hat, scientifically prepared optimium diets or Dewdneys and Jail Ale and stretching the budget or cheap as chips shouldn't have a bearing on whether a player appears to care or not.
This is perhaps the biggest challenge to a manager in all walks of life - getting into the heads of people and it seems to be a diificult ask at the moment!

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Hallett is a big fan of data analysis.

Don't expect to see Argyle changing their position on this any time soon.

Just because we have the second worse goals against column doesn't mean its not working, it's just that the data is not be analysed correctly when we look at the performance of our defenders.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
We're not the oddities for using data analysis. Every single club in the 92 uses it to some extent. Leicester used it massively when they won the Premier League. John Sheridan hates it, have a look how he's done in the past half-dozen years.

It can be overused and it can come up with pointless stats that don't mean anything, and it can also result in us signing bad players - just like every single Argyle manager in history has signed bad players. It's not the problem.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
It all depends upon the quality of the data and how you read it. Going on data alone, Aimson and Fornah must be seen as great passers of the ball as they complete loads of good passes between themselves an Cooper. Try a forward pass and itā€™s a different matter, but they rarely do, itā€™s always the safe option.

Jul 12, 2016
PL2 3DQ":14ntzc8q said:
We were told a lot of research is done before we sign a new player and whether he has the right character to fit into the team.
Lowe seemed perplexed last night that the players are soft and lack leadership skills. Hello! They've been like that all season!

They may be nice guys but there's no fight amongst them and surely all of their deficiencies would have been picked up through data and research?

When the chips are down the players go missing - we've come from behind to win just one league game all season.
You can have all the data you want but football fans are not stupid, we have years of experience and can see the good and bad in players without data analytics.
:thumbup:

Mar 14, 2009
The Argyle board should look at the following data.

2 wins out of the last 12.

A -22 goal difference. 73 scores scored against us. Only Swindon Town are worse.

One game we come back from and won in the league when one goal behind

Iā€™d love to know how data tells you about the character of a player. As here we are with our own manager saying we have a group of boys, not men. Attitude is nothing to do with age. Itā€™s just built inside you. I really donā€™t know how data identifies leaders either.

Iā€™m not knocking the data route. I just think it can be just as floored.

Football as a business is an absolute monster. It doesnā€™t work like other things in life. There are so many factors that unfortunately itā€™s a different beast than most things to get right.