Lowe Decides Defence Is Priority!!! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Lowe Decides Defence Is Priority!!!

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
In his latest interview he had identified that our major issue is the defence.

We should nickname him Columbo for his superb forensic insight......

......OMG only 12 months behind every member of the Green Army.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
But 12 months ago we had one of the best defences in League Two - the most clean sheets and only three other teams conceding less goals - so Lowe can be forgiven for giving new contracts to Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton, especially with the uncertainty caused by Covid.

The mistake was made in January by not replacing experienced departing defenders Canavan and Wooton (and long term injured Sawyer) with similar experienced defenders. Instead Woods was signed followed by Lewis.

Jun 27, 2019
There is a big gulf in quality between League Two and League One. Wootton was just about competent in League Two but resembled a pub footballer in League One.

RL wouldn't necessarily have realised that when he offered him a new contract. Likewise Canavan. The memory of him and Wootton conceding goal after goal at home to the mighty Rochdale will be hard to forget.

Lowe's problem this season was thinking all he had to do was recruit ball-playing centre-backs from the Premier League and we'd suddenly be playing like Man City. It didn't work, and he'll be all too aware now that in the lower leagues you need to prioritise other attributes over being able to accurately side-foot a ground pass 10 yards to a DM or WB.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
All well & good stating the b******y obvious

Will the upgrade & calibre of incoming defender be a surprise to us- that is the question

He can harp on as much as he likes- my major concern/ issue is if he fails to get his targets (in the defensive area) he will revert to type & he will use the premier league kid merry go round to obtain players for those areas

Jan 12, 2020
He can’t bloody win can he?
If he’d not mentioned his priority was defensive reinforcements he’d be hauled over the coals too.

Too many on here seem desperate to see him (and therefore Argyle) fail now. What a strange world we live in.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
PL2 3DQ":2r81e6w9 said:
But 12 months ago we had one of the best defences in League Two - the most clean sheets and only three other teams conceding less goals - so Lowe can be forgiven for giving new contracts to Sawyer, Canavan and Wootton, especially with the uncertainty caused by Covid.

The mistake was made in January by not replacing experienced departing defenders Canavan and Wooton (and long term injured Sawyer) with similar experienced defenders. Instead Woods was signed followed by Lewis.
I do agree that we should have recruited 2 experienced defenders in January to replace Canavan and Wootton.
In fairness, though, they probably thought that they had got away with it when we were undefeated in 8 league games in January and February.
As it happens now, we did get away with it but they certainly gave us supporters a fright.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Give the man a break.

It's a further acknowledgement of our biggest failing this season and he is just making it clear to the fans where his priorities lie.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
demportdave":21mztzxq said:
Give the man a break.

It's a further acknowledgement of our biggest failing this season and he is just making it clear to the fans where his priorities lie.

Can’t win can he? Imagine the furore if he’s talked about player recruitment and hadn’t focused on defence. Proof now is in the pudding. The quality he brings in. I don’t know why but I’ve a sneaky feeling that some we might expect to get offers - Edwards, Mayor - either might not get them or take them. I’ve no evidence, but when he talks about the group as not being up to muster, he talks quite broadly about it.

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":cyo18s3m said:

I think this is a great example that shows that data doesn't show a weakness in the team. It doesn't show actually how many times Palmer saved us and how less the clinical the forwards are in the league. Perfect example was Mansfield's Town CJ Hamilton and the numerous chances he had in the first half against us.

There is no way our defence last season was one of the best. The lack of pace and positional sense at times caused us many issues.

Jul 12, 2016
PL2 3DQ":1v01ahic said:

Stats cannot lie but a lot of those who witnessed our defence last year had the jitters every time the opposition attacked and boy did we ride out luck. Canavan was best of a bad bunch but even last season we were outdone for pace but poor finishing by other teams meant we were not punished as often as this season.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
oldage":3szarh51 said:
PL2 3DQ":3szarh51 said:

Stats cannot lie but a lot of those who witnessed our defence last year had the jitters every time the opposition attacked and boy did we ride out luck. Canavan was best of a bad bunch but even last season we were outdone for pace but poor finishing by other teams meant we were not punished as often as this season.

That's true, Oldy, every time someone repeats that the statistics from last season prove that our defence was top notch, I shake my head. The combination of poor finishing, Palmer and pure luck really did disguise our shortcomings of pace and positional awareness at the back.

Sep 2, 2008
saxman":2l7zrlz3 said:
oldage":2l7zrlz3 said:
PL2 3DQ":2l7zrlz3 said:

That's true, Oldy, every time someone repeats that the statistics from last season prove that our defence was top notch, I shake my head. The combination of poor finishing, Palmer and pure luck really did disguise our shortcomings of pace and positional awareness at the back.

....and that is why using stats in football is pointless especially in recruitment. The only way you would know our defence was gash was if you had seen it. People who advocate their use say that its how you interpret the data. Well, I would argue that you could only interpret the data on our defensive side in one way i.e. it was very good, and we all know that wasn't the case. Just look at the stats that are recorded during an actual match; number of dangerous attacks, number of corners, number of shots on target etc, etc and then you find the team thats supposedly dominating loses 1-0 or 2-0.

Like I've said before, Mk1 eyeball is the only way. Your eyes will not lie to you whereas stats certainly will. Using stats is both costly and lazy and when its used for recruitment, It limits our search area. We will not see the little nuggets in non-league or playing for University sides or the Armed Forces etc.

Dec 3, 2005
PL2 3DQ":3l2nk9lz said:

The defense that got us RELEGATED from Div 1?