Forward pass | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Forward pass

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Please can we look for a couple of players who can see and make a telling forward pass next season.

This run to the line before slamming it into the stands or against the first man is pitiful.

Oct 5, 2013
argobenz":3azcku75 said:
Please can we look for a couple of players who can see and make a telling forward pass next season.

This run to the line before slamming it into the stands or against the first man is pitiful.

Think the aim of the style of play RL likes is to get to the line and put in a cross, mainly with Danny Mayor involved. I agree that it would be good to see some variation to this, in the form of diagonal runs from strikers who are then picked out with an incisive pass. Personally I find our attacking too predictable, and think that the second half of the season has shown that to be the case.

Oct 5, 2013
Was thinking more of Szmodics of Peterborough, he brings a completely different dimension to the game.

Oct 31, 2015
Guiri Green":1cuss1q8 said:
Someone like Antoni Sarcevic ?

Where did Sarcs go. He could drive a ball forward :shh:

Never replaced him and really missed him this season

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
We have been very average for much of this season and absolutely shocking for the last 15 or so games, but let's not talk up former players as if they would have made a big difference when history suggests that is not the case.

Sarcevic was pretty average in the Adams relegation season in League 1 and in most games, had run out of steam by about 70 minutes. He had a decent final season for us in League 2 which was more his level, but I didn't lose much sleep when he decided to move on. Good luck to him at Bolton.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I think that is one of the reasons that Ryan Hardie has not scored so many goals this season.
He seemed to thrive on through balls particularly from George Cooper.

Dec 30, 2020
It's nothing to do with the personnel. Mayor, Grant and Fornah are all good passers who have all picked out delightful through balls on occasion.

The 3-5-2 formation means that the players simply don't have team mates ahead of them, so shuffling the ball sideways is the only option.

Most space on a football pitch is in the wide areas, but we - deliberately - don't have wide players in advanced positions.

It means that when we win the ball the wing backs are busy with the defensive aspect of their role. Watch how often Danny Mayor dribbles round in circles waiting for Conor Grant or whoever to run the length of the pitch. Meanwhile, of course, the opposition get men behind the ball and we have to engage in this protracted dance of sideways passing, occasionally resulting in a cross from the byline.

It's one of the most frustrating things about watching Argyle this season.

Aug 5, 2016
davie nine":2ybr3pj4 said:
I think that is one of the reasons that Ryan Hardie has not scored so many goals this season.
He seemed to thrive on through balls particularly from George Cooper.

Bakinson could play a nice through ball too, and Sarcevic was always looking forward.

Hardie definitely lost a lot not having G. Cooper, Bakinson and Sarcevic behind him this season.

Mayor, Camara and Fornah just don’t get their heads up to spot an early pass.

DM and PC seem like they have been told to travel/run the ball up the pitch, whereas Fornah under instructions to recycle the ball wide or behind.

Connor Grant is the only one you’d trust to give Hardie or Ennis a good pass worth chasing.

The rest of the time he has just been chasing agricultural clearances from defenders under pressure. Not the tactics we had in place when we loaned him and used him intelligently.

Aug 5, 2016
greenpilled":ww50ycum said:
It's nothing to do with the personnel. Mayor, Grant and Fornah are all good passers who have all picked out delightful through balls on occasion.

Really? I beg to differ on that.

Mayor typically dribbles the ball until he is within inches of being dispossessed and offloads it so someone else to deliver. If he can play these balls why doesn’t he ever do it himself?

Fornah plays safe passes back to the CBs or to the wing backs, sometimes to his fellow midfielders but very rarely to the strikers.

Where have these delightful through balls been all season because I haven’t seen many of them.

When you consider that Adam Lewis has two assists, then Fornah’s 3 and Mayor’s 3 really aren’t that impressive after 45 league games and a good cup run.

Both have played virtually all season. George Cooper by comparison had 12 assists from 27 starts in a position he had never played before.

It is a bit unfair to credit Fornah and Mayor with the kind of vision and ability Cooper has, because it certainly hasn’t been backed up by the stats.

I am sure Hardie would agree his service this season has been of a far lower quality than before.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Pogleswoody":d80b1f67 said:
Adam Randell? Or will he play tooo far back? :think:

Thinking the same Pogles, & encouraged by the rave reviews from his Torquay spell, am expecting him to figure in the squad plans for the coming season.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Ray_Stidwell":3uqqgy1w said:
Pogleswoody":3uqqgy1w said:
Adam Randell? Or will he play tooo far back? :think:

Thinking the same Pogles, & encouraged by the rave reviews from his Torquay spell, am expecting him to figure in the squad plans for the coming season.

Must admit I really can’t wait to see Randell play in a green shirt next season. :thumbup:

Dec 30, 2020
Knibbsworth":sjq6xd2g said:
greenpilled":sjq6xd2g said:

Really? I beg to differ on that.

Mayor typically dribbles the ball until he is within inches of being dispossessed and offloads it so someone else to deliver. If he can play these balls why doesn’t he ever do it himself?

Fornah plays safe passes back to the CBs or to the wing backs, sometimes to his fellow midfielders but very rarely to the strikers.

Where have these delightful through balls been all season because I haven’t seen many of them.

When you consider that Adam Lewis has two assists, then Fornah’s 3 and Mayor’s 3 really aren’t that impressive after 45 league games and a good cup run.

Both have played virtually all season. George Cooper by comparison had 12 assists from 27 starts in a position he had never played before.

It is a bit unfair to credit Fornah and Mayor with the kind of vision and ability Cooper has, because it certainly hasn’t been backed up by the stats.

I am sure Hardie would agree his service this season has been of a far lower quality than before.

no, you've misunderstood the point being made in the part of the post that you didn't selectively quote (and I think the point being made by the original poster).

The comparison with Cooper is apples and oranges. He played as a left wing back last season. Most of his assists were crosses/pullbacks from the side of the pitch. This thread was about through balls played forward from central midfield.

Fornah and Mayor are both very capable of this. Mayor slipped Ennis in with a nice pass to score against Oxford. Fornah played a beautiful ball down the line to start the move from which we scored against Blackpool.

The reason their stats don't reflect them doing this more often is because they rarely have options in front of them, because of the formation we play.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
philevs":131rktbw said:
argobenz":131rktbw said:

Think the aim of the style of play RL likes is to get to the line and put in a cross, mainly with Danny Mayor involved. I agree that it would be good to see some variation to this, in the form of diagonal runs from strikers who are then picked out with an incisive pass. Personally I find our attacking too predictable, and think that the second half of the season has shown that to be the case.

Just look at Mayor's assists, it proves it doesn't work.

2020-21 games 43 goals 1 assists 3