Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Monday 3 May | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Plymouth Argyle Daily News - Monday 3 May

Site Manager

Administrator
Apr 3, 2013
Monday 3 May

Sunderland Matchday Moments .... club You Tube.

Argyle youth 4 - 0 Forest Green Rovers youth ....match report.

Home shirts £12.60 in the club .... superstore.

League win percentages of the last 11 managers:
Ryan Lowe – 41.4%
Derek Adams - 44.1%
John Sheridan - 38.9%
Carl Fletcher - 23.8%
Peter Reid - 27.3%
Paul Mariner - 25.9%
Paul Sturrock 2 - 28.7%
Ian Holloway - 37.1%
Tony Pulis - 29.7%
Bobby Williamson - 32.7%
Paul Sturrock 1 - 50.3%

OnicknowlePete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
The win percentage list should be listed into the division they were achieved or unachieved in, as you can't compare efforts in the championship to league two,
Pete

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
You are comparing Oranges with Lemons here.....not only different leagues....but different budgets..different times....league one for example is now a very difficult league to get out of ...whereas in Sturrocks time I would say it was not....

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
oddball":2qt8o0v0 said:
You are comparing Oranges with Lemons here.....not only different leagues....but different budgets..different times....league one for example is now a very difficult league to get out of ...whereas in Sturrocks time I would say it was not....
You are quite right to say it is different times, etc. but remember, we were better than the likes of QPR, Bristol City, Luton Town and Sheffield Wednesday under Sturrock Mark 1 at this level.

But some of the principles are still the same.

You are unlikely to have the budget to be able to put a team together who can play like 1970 Brazil - if they score 3, we will score 4 - playing a supposedly attractive and entertaining style of football but with too many players bombing forward, leaving you wide open and vulnerable to the counter.

However, if you adopt a pragmatic style of play more suited to this level, with a reasonable budget you can still put together a team to play with shape and discipline who will be more difficult to beat and more competitive; they would probably be more entertaining to watch as well. Watching Argyle has been hard work for much of this season.

If Lowe has learnt anything this season, it is surely that Argyle are never going to pass their way out of League 1 with walking pace, sideways and backwards football that all too often, breaks down in the final third and exposes us to counter attacks that have punished us so many times.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
demportdave":3oqm71oy said:
oddball":3oqm71oy said:
You are quite right to say it is different times, etc. but remember, we were better than the likes of QPR, Bristol City, Luton Town and Sheffield Wednesday under Sturrock Mark 1 at this level.

You are unlikely to have the budget to be able to put a team together who can play like 1970 Brazil - if they score 3, we will score 4 - playing a supposedly attractive and entertaining style of football but with too many players bombing forward, leaving you wide open and vulnerable to the counter.

However, if you adopt a pragmatic style of play more suited to this level, with a reasonable budget you can still put together a team to play with shape and discipline who will be more difficult to beat and more competitive; they would probably be more entertaining to watch as well. Watching Argyle has been hard work for much of this season.

If Lowe has learnt anything this season, it is surely that Argyle are never going to pass their way out of League 1 with walking pace, sideways and backwards football that all too often, breaks down in the final third and exposes us to counter attacks that have punished us so many times.

Perhaps I’m in the minority but I believe Lowe WILL get us into the championship playing an entertaining style of football.

Jul 12, 2016
JannerinCardiff":2kxq2ok7 said:
demportdave":2kxq2ok7 said:
oddball":2kxq2ok7 said:

Perhaps I’m in the minority but I believe Lowe WILL get us into the championship playing an entertaining style of football.
Not a chance based on his performance to date.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
oldage":dodn6xha said:
JannerinCardiff":dodn6xha said:
demportdave":dodn6xha said:
oddball":dodn6xha said:

I think we’ll see a vast improvement in defence for the 2021-22 season personally.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
JannerinCardiff":m2x9ko10 said:
oldage":m2x9ko10 said:
JannerinCardiff":m2x9ko10 said:
demportdave":m2x9ko10 said:
oddball":m2x9ko10 said:

I think we’ll see a vast improvement in defence for the 2021-22 season personally. The good thing is that decent defenders are cheaper than decent strikers/creative players.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Quite often I look at other (smaller/ish) teams that were recently down in League 1 (or even League 2) that have gone up/done well and wonder what the differences between them and us are. Teams like Luton, Coventry, Rotherham (although they've yo-yoed for the last few seasons) are interesting ones, Wycombe too, although obviously they're about to come straight back down again (at least they got to the Championship for a season!). Do these teams have big bucks backers?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
I think we just need some SOlID defenders ...players who can head the ball when it is crossed over...or boot it into the back of row Z when it isn't... Sonny Bradley....

Graham Clark

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Nov 18, 2018
oddball":3ffnvzim said:
I think we just need some SOlID defenders ...players who can head the ball when it is crossed over...or boot it into the back of row Z when it isn't... Sonny Bradley....

According to the stats Argyle won the least number of aerial duels in League One. Probably no surprise. Also made the least number of interceptions too. Aerial supremacy is a must in this League.

Also the stats show we scored the lowest number of goals from set pieces. Just eight. Burton Albion by comparison scored 23.

By the way Sonny Bradley is out of contract this season and to my surprise in still only 29. If only Derek Adams had agreed to his wage demands ........