League 1 Next Season | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

League 1 Next Season

Oct 14, 2015
Dependant on results this week and the Play Offs later in the month then next season could see it loaded with the likes off

Portsmouth
Sunderland
Bolton
Derby
Sheff Wed

Could be a very tough season if our defensive frailties aren’t sorted.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Not fussed about Portsmouth/Sunderland, we've taken points off both of them, both are chronic underachievers with a misplaced sense of grandeur. From the play off pack I hope Lincoln or Blackpool go up.

Sheffield Wednesday, Derby and/or Rotherham would all be strong.

Hopefully Morecabe will pip Bolton to automatic promotion on the final day.

As for us, I'd be happy with a top half finish.

May 28, 2019
Cobi Budge":32sjcp5d said:
Not fussed about Portsmouth/Sunderland, we've taken points off both of them, both are chronic underachievers with a misplaced sense of grandeur. From the play off pack I hope Lincoln or Blackpool go up.

and that is why we have never really got anywhere and never will, fans being happy with finishing half way and a board with limited money and ambition, yes happy Hallett and what he has done , but we will always be league 1 or 2 and the odd few years in the championship,60 years for me like this and my old dad of 90 says the same...nothing will change ,bigger crowds than most but no money,, money talks and we will never have enough!

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
greybeard-kernow":2cs6tcc6 said:
Cobi Budge":2cs6tcc6 said:

and that is why we have never really got anywhere and never will, fans being happy with finishing half way and a board with limited money and ambition, yes happy Hallett and what he has done , but we will always be league 1 or 2 and the odd few years in the championship,60 years for me like this and my old dad of 90 says the same...nothing will change ,bigger crowds than most but no money,, money talks and we will never have enough!

As long as you're enjoying it! :lol:

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
greybeard-kernow":2v17gr75 said:
Cobi Budge":2v17gr75 said:

We don’t have a sugar daddy owner, we’re a stable club trying to build sustainably, and as such I think a top half finish next season would be reasonable given our resources and would be a realistic improvement on this season. I don’t really see what’s wrong with that?

Dec 30, 2020
I don't know if it's necessarily an anomaly or a sign that the division will be more difficult than usual - Sunderland, Pompey, Charlton and Bolton (if they even get to League 1) have all spent a few years in the bottom two divisions. Ipswich are here for (at least) another season.

It's not that long ago that Sheffield Wednesday were last in the third tier. Southampton, Leicester and Leeds relatively recently as well.

The flipside is that quite a few clubs from cities/regions that have probably underachieved in football terms have got their act together in recent times.

15-20 years ago Bristol City, Cardiff, Swansea, Hull, Brighton would all have been thought of as lower league clubs. But with new stadiums and investment, they're now much closer to fulfilling their potential and occupying places in the PL and Championship.

Pretty depressing to think of the obvious missing name from that list!

May 28, 2019
Cobi Budge":1brro4fw said:
greybeard-kernow":1brro4fw said:
Cobi Budge":1brro4fw said:

We don’t have a sugar daddy owner, we’re a stable club trying to build sustainably, and as such I think a top half finish next season would be reasonable given our resources and would be a realistic improvement on this season. I don’t really see what’s wrong with that?
nothing wrong with that, im just trying to state that we as football fans of argyle ,are easily content , and have been for years, i will still be there, if i wanted to go watch a team with a sugar daddy and aiming to climb high as they can, i would go watch parkway ! perhaps i worded it wrong , it just seems we are always going to be what we are ,but we can dream cant we !

greybeard-kernow":z8jb6n6r said:
Cobi Budge":z8jb6n6r said:

I don’t think there is any lack of ambition in maintaining a league 1 club which is financially stable after a very fraught year for all clubs, has a long term plan to steadily improve, pays constant attention to the needs of its’ fans, is developing an academy to improve self-sustainability, and may well end up in an improved mid-table position next year. What’s un-ambitious about that?

The average Championship club debt is £11million per season. The only championship club to make a profit last season was Birmingham through a fluke of transfer income timing. These are all owned by multi-millionaires taking a punt on the big rewards if they make the Prem. I’m genuinely pleased that Argyle has a different type of owner, who are both fans, and will do far more for Argyle in the long term, regardless of whether we ever achieve promotion or not.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I’m a big fan of solely focusing on us and what we can do.

I could t give a toss about other clubs budgets, debt or circumstances.

When that whistle goes and for the 95 minutes of football there after it’s all about us doing what we want to do. Do it well and win then brilliant. Do it well and lose or draw then I’m still ok with that but we need to get it right for us, not anyone else.

We need to get ourselves in order. Right tactics, right individuals, right fight and correct attitude. The rest will come win lose or draw.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Cobi Budge":797kwozb said:
greybeard-kernow":797kwozb said:
Cobi Budge":797kwozb said:

I accept that some 'daddys' are dusted with more sugar than others, but considering the experiences of this past fortnight in the Premier League, you might like to ask the supporters of Man U, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc what they think of their sugar daddies. I cannot say I am dancing with joy at Argyle's present League position but I am currently very selective at what I wish for

May 28, 2019
Quintrell_Green":3rp262zo said:
Cobi Budge":3rp262zo said:
greybeard-kernow":3rp262zo said:
Cobi Budge":3rp262zo said:

I accept that some 'daddys' are dusted with more sugar than others, but considering the experiences of this past fortnight in the Premier League, you might like to ask the supporters of Man U, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal etc what they think of their sugar daddies. I cannot say I am dancing with joy at Argyle's present League position but I am currently very selective at what I wish for
i never stated i want a sugar daddy i have stated, we are what we are, and always will be , the fans of the clubs you have mentioned where very happy when these sugar daddies came to their clubs and splashed the cash on top world class players, they did not complain then ,im afraid football is run by money and will be ruined by money !

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
greybeard-kernow":2cfabv0y said:
Quintrell_Green":2cfabv0y said:
Cobi Budge":2cfabv0y said:
greybeard-kernow":2cfabv0y said:
Cobi Budge":2cfabv0y said:

i never stated i want a sugar daddy i have stated, we are what we are, and always will be , the fans of the clubs you have mentioned where very happy when these sugar daddies came to their clubs and splashed the cash on top world class players, they did not complain then ,im afraid football is run by money and will be ruined by money !
To be fair to the Man Utd fans they've been protesting about the Glazers ever since they came in 16 years ago and moved their own debts of £500m on to the club. Aren't they the reason FC United of Manchester were formed all those years ago?

Dec 3, 2005
greybeard-kernow":1zm4qc2u said:
Cobi Budge":1zm4qc2u said:

Some supporters are very happy just to scrap above the relegation zone this season - so hoping to achieve half way up the league next season seems like hopeful optimism.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Agree with Cobi that a top 10 finish would show improvement and progression. I would prefer to wait to see the summer signings before deciding if that is realistic or not.