Torquay anyone ? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Torquay anyone ?

Aug 8, 2013
Despite their geographical location, ever since I was a kid I've found that
I have a soft spot for Torquay, and I've noticed that several others on here
seem to wish them well. The same could never be said about Exeter, and
I'm wondering what the reasons might be.

Whatever the reasons though, my main interest for the rest of this season lies in
following Torquay's push for promotion.

Aug 5, 2015
Yes it’s difficult to explain especially as not so long ago Torquay were our biggest football rivals and Exeter was just on the A38. I think it’s due to the gradual decline of our club which has seen us play more in the basement division of late than in what used to be the Second Division.

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
I have a soft spot for Torquay too.

Many times my son and I have travelled up to see them play (when Argyle haven’t been at home) and had a meal in No 10s Restaurant before the game - I recommend it!

Jul 12, 2016
Add me to the list. The next result I look for after Argyle 's is Torquay. Nice cub in a nice area.

Sep 8, 2013
And me. My grandfather played in goal for Torquay in the years just before WW1. Had to move to Devonport Dockyard in search of work as a result and lived in Crownhill where I was born. Usually go to a handful of games at Plainmoor every season.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Absolutely yes.
Obviously I want us to compete much further up the pyramid than Torquay but I'll always be grateful for them giving me live football to attend during Adams' tenure after he'd ground all the joy I ever felt out of the sport.

Jul 6, 2011
They've helped us this season to give our youngsters like Adam Randell and Ryan Law match day experience. We will certainly benefit from that.

C

Cult Of Personality

Mum is from Torquay and have always gone up when Argyle has been a little to North for an away day trip.

Always want them to do we but trust me when we play them I wanna smash them off the park

Jan 27, 2012
I am following the Torquay results very closely.

If they have a chance of automatic promotion in their final game then I shall be watching it on iFollow !

Gary Johnson has turned the club around- they were in the National League South with Truro when he took over. It would be great for Argyle and South West football in general if they can get back into the EFL. .

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
My Grandfather was a TUFC season ticket holder back in the 60's, and my mum and I would go up to see them when Argyle were not home, sometimes we sat in the Grandstand with him, and other times we stood behind the goal. 2 players i remember from that era was Robin Stubbs and Ernie Pym. TUFC is always the 2nd club that i follow, sometimes when Argyle are playing bad i turn the sound down on iFollow and then listen to TUFC's commentary which is free on their website. I certainly hope they get back into the Football League.

Dec 3, 2005
I like Torquay Utd too - feel like a Cousin while them up the A38 are the black sheep lol

Always remember the Boxing Day game at Home Park when we beat then 6 - 0 (4 goals up at half time) Mike Bickle got 4 goals and Norman Piper the other 2, briliant derby match.

Also remember another Boxing Day game at Plainmoor when it snowed like crazy (for Torbay) I think we lost that one 2 - 0 though.
Yes always a soft spot for United - can see their floodlights from my house.

Apr 9, 2011
i grew up in Paignton in the 50s &60s so Torquay Utd were my first proper taste of football. Sammy Collins & Don Mills were the star turns. Collins regularly scored in the region of 40 goals a season how much would he have been worth today!
Eric Webber was Player Manager! imagine that a player manager in lge football. A fine centre half he was too. My biggest memory of the 50s was when we played a fine Birmingham City with Astall , Govern ,Boyd, & i think Gil Merrick who was Englands goalie at the time if i remember correctly. Any way we ended up getting thrashed 7-1 by Brum on their way to the cup final where they lost to Man City.
The closest they ever came to playing in the old 2nd Division was in 1957 when they lost out on the final match of the season on goal average as it was then known to Ipswich Town managed by a certain Alf Ramsey !
Torquay did have a fine side in the late 60s with Stubbs Pym Bond Mitchin & should/ could have got promoted then . I believe Frank O Farrell later to become Man Utd manager was in charge around that time .
Also remember in the 60 s being at Plainmoor when we played Spurs in the cup , losing 3-1 with minutes to go & up popped Robin Stubbs with 2 late goals to end up 3-3 the ground erupted! Unfortunately lost the replay 5-1 but had our moment
Happy times when it was "proper" football & the cursed money grabbing Premiership was just a distant night mare in the future
So hope they get promoted this season best of luck United

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I was tempted to get one their shirts if they get reduced... tin hat on etc :oops:

1) they're bleddy nice shirts the last couple of years, 2) the colour is perfect for a night time 5-a-side. Beats a bright yellow bib anyway.