Enver Yucel (Basketball). | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Enver Yucel (Basketball).

Aug 24, 2008
In the interests of both Plymouth Argyle and Plymouth Raiders (due to lose their home after 38 years in this city), could someone with the right connections please introduce Enver Yucel current owner of Raiders and reportedly billionaire to the owner of Argyle Simon Hallett. There may be mileage for both clubs - if you don’t ask you don’t get.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Costusdear":3lgv6f4z said:
In the interests of both Plymouth Argyle and Plymouth Raiders (due to lose their home after 38 years in this city), could someone with the right connections please introduce Enver Yucel current owner of Raiders and reportedly billionaire to the owner of Argyle Simon Hallett. There may be mileage for both clubs - if you don’t ask you don’t get.

I would be really rather upset if Raiders left, surely something can be figured out. I suspect not with Simon Hallett or Argyle though.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
There's a dispute between the Raiders and the Pavilions about a rent increase, and Raiders are saying they could leave Plymouth if it's not sorted. Specifically to Birmingham, I think.

To bring this back to Argyle, I think we'd all love to see a Home Park sports complex that included a decent arena for Raiders. Perhaps the ice arena could have done that, but not sure what's happening there either.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Enver Yucel is Turkish, and whilst a very rich man, I doubt very much whether he would wish to invest in an English professional football club, when he has considerable options to invest in that sport in his own country, where he could generate substantial goodwill with the locals. The main thrust of his financial support appears to be in education.

Aug 24, 2008
Raiders have possibly played their last game in Plymouth at the Pavilions. The landlord (James Brent) has increased their rent by 200 per cent. Unfortunately there is nowhere in Plymouth that can host the games with spectators as the Pavilions can house. Does anybody really see Brent providing the promised Ice Rink at HHP. If the land could be purchased and planning permission granted and Hallett andYucel could come together for a purpose built venue. 3000 seater as Yucel would like European games and the two clubs affiliated with Yucel and Hallett joining forces to the good of Plymouth and both clubs

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Costusdear":2patxc6j said:
Raiders have possibly played their last game in Plymouth at the Pavilions. The landlord (James Brent) has increased their rent by 200 per cent. Unfortunately there is nowhere in Plymouth that can host the games with spectators as the Pavilions can house. Does anybody really see Brent providing the promised Ice Rink at HHP. If the land could be purchased and planning permission granted and Hallett andYucel could come together for a purpose built venue. 3000 seater as Yucel would like European games and the two clubs affiliated with Yucel and Hallett joining forces to the good of Plymouth and both clubs
JB has to build an ice rink somewhere as part of the conditions of sale when he purchased the Pavillions in 2012. Whether that will still be at HHP remains to be seen.

Apr 1, 2009
Keepitgreen":9wn97fxs said:
Costusdear":9wn97fxs said:
JB has to build an ice rink somewhere as part of the conditions of sale when he purchased the Pavillions in 2012. Whether that will still be at HHP remains to be seen.

Is there any time limit on this? Seems strange if this was a condition imposed without a deadline.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
My instinctive reaction is that there is probably more to this than meets the eye.

Obviously a 200% rent increase seems excessive but then we do not know what the current rent level is and, more importantly, whether it was particularly low or subsidized in some way - for example, perhaps when the Pavilions was owned by the City Council the rent was set low due to the wider benefit to the city that having Raiders playing there brought.

Or perhaps the 200% figure is a negotiating figure from someone who needs a substantial rise but knows they need to bargain hard to get one. And the threat to move the team to Birmingham could be a negotiating tactic from someone who knows that they have been paying a low rent for years and wants to reduce the size of any necessary/reasonable increase.

Or perhaps Enver Yucel just doesn't want Raiders to play in Plymouth anymore regardless of anything else and wants to own a team that is based in one of the major conurbations. In this case the rent issue just provides a convenient excuse to make that move.

Who knows? All of the above is just speculation and intended to highlight that there is much that COULD be going on behind the scenes and much that we don't know.

I've always like the idea of there being a decent-sized sports arena at Home Park that could be a home to Raiders and other sports teams/events. It seems a no-brainer to me that instead of building an ice rink a larger and more general purpose indoor sports arena (with crowd space) should be built. Of course, that arena COULD also house an ice rink and have a movable floor for use for other events like basketball. ££££s

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The Doctor":2gt1dw1m said:
My instinctive reaction is that there is probably more to this than meets the eye.

Obviously a 200% rent increase seems excessive but then we do not know what the current rent level is and, more importantly, whether it was particularly low or subsidized in some way - for example, perhaps when the Pavilions was owned by the City Council the rent was set low due to the wider benefit to the city that having Raiders playing there brought.

Or perhaps the 200% figure is a negotiating figure from someone who needs a substantial rise but knows they need to bargain hard to get one. And the threat to move the team to Birmingham could be a negotiating tactic from someone who knows that they have been paying a low rent for years and wants to reduce the size of any necessary/reasonable increase.

Or perhaps Enver Yucel just doesn't want Raiders to play in Plymouth anymore regardless of anything else and wants to own a team that is based in one of the major conurbations. In this case the rent issue just provides a convenient excuse to make that move.

Who knows? All of the above is just speculation and intended to highlight that there is much that COULD be going on behind the scenes and much that we don't know.

I've always like the idea of there being a decent-sized sports arena at Home Park that could be a home to Raiders and other sports teams/events. It seems a no-brainer to me that instead of building an ice rink a larger and more general purpose indoor sports arena (with crowd space) should be built. Of course, that arena COULD also house an ice rink and have a movable floor for use for other events like basketball. ££££s

I posted this a few weeks ago in the Coffee Bar Doc.

IJN":2gt1dw1m said:
There's more to this than meets the eye.

A previous owner didn't want to play in the Life Centre, despite a hall being made with them in mind.

Plus if you ask the owners pre the latest owner, they'd only sing the praises of the Pavs.

I also hear that the new owner might well be wanting to move away to a 'bigger city' and is using this as an excuse.

As a taxpayer I'm quite glad that the Pavs isn't supplementing The Raiders any more, why should it?

May 16, 2016
I was told the Raiders pay in the region of £3K rent per game for a space not exclusive to them. Talking to one of their ST holders, there's often an event on after them.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Not sure if that's true or not, but I think the point is what could Pavs get for that space for the same time period.

D

Darren Stoneman

I think it is only the tax payers money keeping it afloat! Appalling situation again if someone e failing to honour commitments

My thoughts of you can’t honour your commitments walk away and let someone else deliver, wouldn’t be the first time

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I don't want anyone who thinks the answer to a problem is to relocate a franchise from Devon to Brum should be anywhere near our football club!

This is ESL thinking!!

Do you really think that James Brent is deliberately driving Raiders away due to his greed?

This billionaire is not paying and will not pay the going rate!

I don't know who is right and who is wrong but the 'cover story' smells a bit whiffy to me!