Anoraks 76 - Often but not semper! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Anoraks 76 - Often but not semper!

Jan 11, 2016
These 4 games contributed to successful promotion seasons - what have three of the games in common and why does the other game not quite fit the bill?

1929-30 v Crystal Palace (h)
1951-52 v Crystal Palace (h)
1958-59 v Doncaster Rovers (a)
2003-04 v Port Vale (a)

May 22, 2006
Ah yes, we absolutely battered Vale 5-1, Friio scored an absolute worldie and the home fans applauded. Most of the away fans never saw it because of the traffic.

We scored a hatful in all those games, but the Doncaster game ended 6-4.

Jan 11, 2016
Just a thought, SG, but wasn't David Friio top goal scorer in the League for Argyle that season? Could this have anything to do with this one?

Aug 8, 2013
This one had me totally stumped, but after a couple of massive shoves in the
right direction, I think I have it. Despite the number of goals scored in the first three games mentioned,
the leading scorers in those seasons (Black, Tadman, and Carter respectively; thanks GoS)
didn't get any of them.

I'm in awe again at SG's research skills.

Jan 11, 2016
Not for the first time it's Gary S who comes to the rescue! Many thanks!

I was musing, rather wrecklessly as it turned out, on the possible outcome of the Gillingham game with Luke Jeffcott being given 90 minutes and Argyle winning 6-4 without Luke making the scoresheet. I thought this would be a typical Argyle end to what has been a crazy, charmless season. That reminded me of the Doncaster Wilf Carter blank sheet game and the rest was a bit of research in 'Snakes and Ladders'.

By the way if you're wondering who scored it was Ennis 4, Hardie 2!

Aug 8, 2013
This has got me trying to remember, without resource to GoS, when we last
scored more than 4. I seem to remember putting 5 past someone the year we
got relegated, but can't remember the opposition. Anyone ?

May 22, 2006
Gary S":8bogo0on said:
This has got me trying to remember, without resource to GoS, when we last
scored more than 4. I seem to remember putting 5 past someone the year we
got relegated, but can't remember the opposition. Anyone ?

Rochdale.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
There is another way of identifying an odd one out. Vale Park was the only ground of those four that had floodlights at the time the matches were played. And if we look even deeper, it could be said that Doncaster was the only one of the four that had a centre half who went on to become a professional comedian. Charlie Williams was their centre half that evening. I only say this because the original question was beyond me!!

Jan 11, 2016
Thanks Memory Man - much more interesting answers!

So there were 'three guys called Willams' - sounds like the name of a group - on the pitch for that game as I notice that John 'Cardiff' Williams as well as Johnny Williams was playing'.

Here's a question - Which Argyle player once scored a hat-trick against opponents whose centre-half went on to have a successful show business career as a comedian!