• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Brief Synopsis

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Dead rubber, dead lucky, dead happy … which will it be ? What of the team ? Will we play the under 18´s ? Will we still struggle and lose, or will we hopefully catch a Kent variant for a change and win ?

Tomlinson comes in in what looks like a 4-4-2. Ennis and Hardie up front. Reeves and Fornah offering protection to the centre backs Tomlinson and Watts. No Grant. The bench looks, well, different ! Craske, Mitchell, Pursall and Lolos. Will Luke get a final game to reach his milestone and Cooper finishes the season as a starter in every league game ?

The game got off to an awful start with Watts taking a blow on the head within a minute, and, after oxygen was applied, he was carried off, with the game being held up for 12 minutes. (It was noticeable not a single member of the Gillingham dug out clapped him off – Steve Evans for you !).

Moore came on and Fornah switched to centre back. With Gillingham´s direct approach it was always likely that arial threats and physicality would be an issue for us and so it turned out. On “27” minutes, Gills cleverly broke down the right and the cross came in and Oliver got the final header in almost on the goal line. Ogilvie was also launches throw ins from 30 yards, each of which caused us concern.

We had a couple of chances from free kicks, one was close from Reeves, which took a slight deflection and went just over the bar. The other taken by Hardie seemed to be mishit and hit the wall.

I thought Reeves had a good first half, probably his best 45 minutes for Argyle so far. Gary Nelson was also excellent on co-comms.

The second half was largely half paced. Argyle did have two gilt-edged chances. The first from a Hardie cross which Ennis was unable to get good contact on from two yards out. The second was a good chance from Moore who rounded the keeper but shot wide following a good cross from Mayor.

Cooper made one great save in the 48th minute when Lee was presented with a chance following a pin ball by three Argyle defenders, but that was pretty much all he had to do.

Reeves was booked on 54 minutes.

Jephcott and Lolos came on for Moore and Ennis on 67 minutes and Craske and Luke came on in 86 minutes. Luke making his 350th appearance. Well done Luke. Well done also to Tomlinson and Law who both showed well in this game.

MoM Cooper

End of an up and down season for Argyle. Good news - we will still be playing the Gobshites of Pompous next year and not Excreta.

Roll on recruitment.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We probably deserved a point but we missed a couple of guilt edge chances. We showed plenty of effort, but overall, it wasn't a great watch and it was a crappy game for long spells. Roll on next season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The deadest of dead rubbers although it would have been nice to experience a rare win and for Jephcott to reach 20 goals.
As it was - it was another lacklustre defeat, Tomlinson did very well on his full debut, McCormick reached the 350 milestone and Watts suffered a serious injury.

It's finally over, a soulless season spent in front of the unreliable iFollow, apart from three games and even those were strange and abnormal.
The season long aim was to stay in League One and that was achieved with 6 points to spare.

Credit to the club and players for getting through a shortened season playing Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday and having no games postponed due to Covid.
It must have been mentally and physically tough for everyone.

But what a deflating end to the season. Four straight defeats or one point from the last seven games.
It was a rollercoaster with more downs than ups. Inconsistentcy was the buzz word of the season. Winning four games in a row was quickly followed by losing four games in a row. How is that possible?
Coming from behind to win just one league game all season.

We are very watchable in the middle third of the pitch but a shambles in the defensive third and just as bad in the attacking third. The business ends of a football pitch.

We have the third worst away record in the league, only Bristol Rovers and Northampton are worse and only those two teams scored less away goals than Argyle.
Outside of a recovery season after the war in 1945 this season we conceded the most goals at Home Park in our entire history and equalled our worst defeat at home.

How the hell did we stay up? We did and that's all that matters so job done.

Aug 8, 2013
A few thoughts...

was that an arm to the head, or did it just look that way ?
If Reeves was playing for a contract, I'd say he earned one;
my man of the match;
Tomlinson looked very assured, and is good in the air;
Law acquitted himself well against another difficult opponent;
Cooper was faultless, and is one of our better passers of the ball;
Mayor seemed upset at Watts's injury, and played little further part in the game;
Fornah made a decent fist of things in an unaccustomed position;
Hardie put in a fine shift;
and once again, our build-up was predictable, our set-pieces
totally unthreatening, and our delivery largely poor, and no-one attacked
the occasional decent ball into the box that we did conjure up.
We have a long way to go, but bring on whoever we get in the opener.

Dec 3, 2005
Just glad it's all over.

No point giving a synopsis - just repeat or copy and paste from the previous 17 games.

Just hope that Watts is OK.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Posty sums it up for me…

How the hell did we stay up

Jun 27, 2019
I can honestly say I have never been so glad to see the back of a season in my 30+ years of being an Argyle fan.

Good bloody riddance 20-21, it hasn't been nice knowing you.

Mar 14, 2009
Tugboat":3ebhs4ph said:
Posty sums it up for me…

It’s going to be some turn around next season if we are to even finish mid table.

If you think about Argyle over two seasons under Lowe then the argument could be we seen a team in league two who made similar defensive mistakes to this current team. We seen a side in league two who were lop sided attacking down the left side. Same with this current team. We seen a side who passed the ball out way too slowly from the back and caused our own issues with sideways and backwards passing. Same with current team.

My point is we had a different group of players in both seasons. However, the same questions keep arising under this manager. The difference between league two and one is that in league two sides weren’t as clinical so we got away with our mistakes time and time again.

Yet next season, with another new group of players, we expect a manager who has shown no signs of fixing the same problems to suddenly fix it in the next few months ahead.

Aug 11, 2013
PL2 3DQ":2hl6uw2q said:
The deadest of dead rubbers although it would have been nice to experience a rare win and for Jephcott to reach 20 goals.
As it was - it was another lacklustre defeat, Tomlinson did very well on his full debut, McCormick reached the 350 milestone and Watts suffered a serious injury.

It's finally over, a soulless season spent in front of the unreliable iFollow, apart from three games and even those were strange and abnormal.
The season long aim was to stay in League One and that was achieved with 6 points to spare.

Credit to the club and players for getting through a shortened season playing Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday and having no games postponed due to Covid.

But what a deflating end to the season. Four straight defeats or one point from the last seven games.
It was a rollercoaster with more downs than ups. Inconsistentcy was the buzz word of the season. Winning four games in a row was quickly followed by losing four games in a row. How is that possible?

We are very watchable in the middle third of the pitch but a shambles in the defensive third and just as bad in the attacking third. The business ends of a football pitch.

We have the third worst away record in the league, only Bristol Rovers and Northampton are worse and only those two teams scored less away goals than Argyle.
Outside of a recovery season after the war in 1945 this season we conceded the most goals at Home Park in our entire history and equalled our worst defeat at home.

I accept I may be in the minority, but with stats like that Lowe must be delighted he’s managed to find a friend in Hallett. Stability is a good thing until it takes you to the conference.

If you add our inability to defend set pieces and corners. Our inability to deliver a decent corner or set piece. Our tactical naivety. Lowe’s very poor success rate in recruitment - I wouldn’t care if any of these left and can’t remember a season feeling like that. Several promising players seem to have even gone backwards. We’ve got no fight or ruthless streak. Our football is a slow motion bore fest.

I’d give those people who say Lowe deserves another chance credit if they could point to how the hell he turns all the negatives to positives next year. Recruitment in itself (where he has no proven record at this level) won’t be enough !

Equal worst home defeat and worst ever league 1 finish - I like record breakers but not this type

Bil

May 31, 2019
I can only agree with Harrythewerzel. I think ten games into the next season we will know. :banghead:

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
This is Lowe’s first proper test. Do I hope he meets it? Absolutely. I like the man and what he tries to do in the way we play. Do I think he will meet it? I’m not sure. There’s a naivety about him. He’s really going to need to show he can learn, adapt, and be quick in doing so. Because whilst mission accomplished in staying in League One, that’s not nearly enough next season or thereafter. I wish him luck though, I really do. I’m all behind long term thinking and planning. But 1 win in 17 is a lot to ponder and even our resolute Chairman will be chewing that over when he has his dinner. It’s been a bloody awful end to the season.

Jul 12, 2016
Metal_Green_Mickey":1g1y5la4 said:
Tugboat":1g1y5la4 said:
Posty sums it up for me…

It’s going to be some turn around next season if we are to even finish mid table.

If you think about Argyle over two seasons under Lowe then the argument could be we seen a team in league two who made similar defensive mistakes to this current team. We seen a side in league two who were lop sided attacking down the left side. Same with this current team. We seen a side who passed the ball out way too slowly from the back and caused our own issues with sideways and backwards passing. Same with current team.

My point is we had a different group of players in both seasons. However, the same questions keep arising under this manager. The difference between league two and one is that in league two sides weren’t as clinical so we got away with our mistakes time and time again.

Yet next season, with another new group of players, we expect a manager who has shown no signs of fixing the same problems to suddenly fix it in the next few months ahead.
Well summed up.

Jul 12, 2016
arrythewurzel":36g29f5l said:
PL2 3DQ":36g29f5l said:

I accept I may be in the minority, but with stats like that Lowe must be delighted he’s managed to find a friend in Hallett. Stability is a good thing until it takes you to the conference.

If you add our inability to defend set pieces and corners. Our inability to deliver a decent corner or set piece. Our tactical naivety. Lowe’s very poor success rate in recruitment - I wouldn’t care if any of these left and can’t remember a season feeling like that. Several promising players seem to have even gone backwards. We’ve got no fight or ruthless streak. Our football is a slow motion bore fest.

I’d give those people who say Lowe deserves another chance credit if they could point to how the hell he turns all the negatives to positives next year. Recruitment in itself (where he has no proven record at this level) won’t be enough !

Equal worst home defeat and worst ever league 1 finish - I like record breakers but not this type
Seconded.

May 16, 2016
I saved a Tenner and dipped in and out of the commentary for updates. Hopefully a nice summer ahead.

The end.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
very pleased with the young lads at argyle,also good to see reeves play the full match.man of the match for me ollie tomlinson closely followed by ryan law.