Worst ever finish to league 1 ( or equivalent) season | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Worst ever finish to league 1 ( or equivalent) season

Jul 28, 2020
Looking back through the history books ( thanks to ‘greens on screen’), this is the worst ever finish to a league one ( or equivalent ) season.

Comparing the final 15 games of each season, this term we have gained 8 points ( goal difference from these games: -25).

This compares with the previous worse finishes:
1968-1969: 14 points ( Billy Bingham was the manager- and departed during the following season, replaced by Ellis Stuttard).
1978-1979: 14 points ( Bobby saxton was the manager, having replace Malcolm Allison, earlier that season).
2018-2019: 14 points ( Derek Adams).

( All figures / results adjusted to apply 3 points for a win across the board).

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Presumably then we had a much better start or middle to this season than the previous League 1 relegation seasons.

Rochdale only lost 1 of last 7 but it was not enough to save them from League 2.

May 16, 2016
cheshiregreen":j7nxiorn said:
Presumably then we had a much better start or middle to this season than the previous League 1 relegation seasons.

Rochdale only lost 1 of last 7 but it was not enough to save them from League 2.

That's Ryan Lowes get out of jail card, the fact that we did have a period where we looked good. As long as we don't have to play everybody twice next season so they can't suss us out, I think we might do better.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
cheshiregreen":2ckou3gh said:

That misses the point though - why did we have such vastly different hot and cold spells? ......and isn't the fact we ended on such a shocking run of form very disturbing? We'd all be much happier bunnies if we'd recovered from a dire mid or early season to end with a stonking 15 game run to finish 9 points clear of the drop rather than this. Then we could look forward to the next season full of hope and genuine optimism ..... but until someone can really explain it how can we be confident it'll be turned around?. I hope it's just as simple as being mentally fragile and being prone to a chronic loss of confidence - which might be solved with a few good signings who have a bit spirit and leadership about them that will rub off on the rest...... But something feels very wrong to me.

Apr 1, 2009
Ave_IT":2p683zmf said:
cheshiregreen":2p683zmf said:

That misses the point though - why did we have such vastly different hot and cold spells? ......and isn't the fact we ended on such a shocking run of form very disturbing? We'd all be much happier bunnies if we'd recovered from a dire mid or early season to end with a stonking 15 game run to finish 9 points clear of the drop rather than this. Then we could look forward to the next season full of hope and genuine optimism ..... but until someone can really explain it how can we be confident it'll be turned around?. I hope it's just as simple as being mentally fragile and being prone to a chronic loss of confidence - which might be solved with a few good signings who have a bit spirit and leadership about them that will rub off on the rest...... But something feels very wrong to me.

A very good point. Unless you actually know what went wrong, it's very difficult to put things right

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
xmastree":2ufiviki said:
Ave_IT":2ufiviki said:
cheshiregreen":2ufiviki said:

A very good point. Unless you actually know what went wrong, it's very difficult to put things right

It doesn't seem Lowe has much idea of why we were so awful for the last few months, which is concerning. I've been a big fan of Lowe before, but our end to the season has been utterly disgraceful and raises huge question marks for me about him.

A bad start to the season next year and we'll go down - he hasn't had a clue how to turn things around and stop the rot.

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
It's a good job for Lowe and his job that our good run of form was at the earlier part of the season instead of our last 17 matches! I'm unable to understand why tactical changes were not made, either before or during the matches as the defeats mounted. Were still in League 1 (3rd tier), a big plus, but for me the Jury's out for the the first 10 matches next season. :problem:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I loves stats!! :thumbs:

This was our worst ever finish to a season?

Worse than when The Morose One took us down? :think:

He would have played a left winger at CH rather than play a youth player!! :furious:

P

Paranoid Android

Pogleswoody":2egme15v said:

He would have played a left winger at CH rather than play a youth player!! :furious:

Yeh with a polarised thread title its only going to provoke polarised views, so thanks for adding perspective.

And there is plenty of perspective to think about which some of us have banged on about to deaf ears. Fair enough if you want agendas, I don’t personally.

The last 2 months have been very low(e) thought I’d add a cheezy line first before someone else does.

There’s so many things about this season I’ve had going around in my head:

Pandemic - no fans.
Inexperienced squad.
Inexperienced management.
Inexperienced Chairman (in football)
Canavan leaving jan.
Some players not performing to their reputations ie. Nouble (always a wrong fit),
Reeves, Macleod (when fit), Moore, all the strikers even Ennis.
George Cooper injury.
Mike Cooper first season in any league, playing behind a fragile defense.
Sat/tue travelling distances unique to us.
Budget affected by no revenues from the grandstand. Back to square one.

Probably more I’d forgotten.

I go back to Simon Hallett, who told us he’s recruited an inexperienced management team who will play the game his way. Simons made a lot of good decisions in his life and he’s been closely in touch with the team throughout the season. Only he will know if lessons are being learned and development is happening. I’m confident he will have a plan in his mind, and if the bar slips at a key point in the season he will do what’s necessary. I want to trust his judgement that

1. He picked the right man long term and
2. The manager will develop as he hopes.
3. He will make a decision if necessary and at the right time.

That’s all I want to say, don’t want to hypothesise any more on this my head hurts.

Go into next season, season ticket in hand, optimistic but realistic. Mid table to pushing playoffs (if luck is with us) - happy.

May 8, 2011
Paranoid Android":pcpe29a9 said:
Pogleswoody":pcpe29a9 said:

Yeh with a polarised thread title its only going to provoke polarised views, so thanks for adding perspective.

And there is plenty of perspective to think about which some of us have banged on about to deaf ears. Fair enough if you want agendas, I don’t personally.

The last 2 months have been very low(e) thought I’d add a cheezy line first before someone else does.

There’s so many things about this season I’ve had going around in my head:

Pandemic - no fans.
Inexperienced squad.
Inexperienced management.
Inexperienced Chairman (in football)
Canavan leaving jan.
Some players not performing to their reputations ie. Nouble (always a wrong fit),
Reeves, Macleod (when fit), Moore, all the strikers even Ennis.
George Cooper injury.
Mike Cooper first season in any league, playing behind a fragile defense.
Sat/tue travelling distances unique to us.
Budget affected by no revenues from the grandstand. Back to square one.

Probably more I’d forgotten.

I go back to Simon Hallett, who told us he’s recruited an inexperienced management team who will play the game his way. Simons made a lot of good decisions in his life and he’s been closely in touch with the team throughout the season. Only he will know if lessons are being learned and development is happening. I’m confident he will have a plan in his mind, and if the bar slips at a key point in the season he will do what’s necessary. I want to trust his judgement that

1. He picked the right man long term and
2. The manager will develop as he hopes.
3. He will make a decision if necessary and at the right time.

That’s all I want to say, don’t want to hypothesise any more on this my head hurts.

Go into next season, season ticket in hand, optimistic but realistic. Mid table to pushing playoffs (if luck is with us) - happy.

Basically the summer recruitment and the January transfer window which we were told by the manager and media was wonderful wasn’t, despite all these agents on the phone with players desperate to play for him.
Apparently according to the manager teams didn’t play the way he and his entourage thought they would. So much for the data analysis.
The manager spent a year in League 1 with Bury but didn’t learn much about League 1.
This summer is his chance to put right a few things.

Jan 27, 2012
If this poor form carries on into next season then Lowe will probably be sacked by October.

Hallett - comes across as a nice chap and everything- but he doesn't strike me a someone who would mess around when it comes down to business. Nice guys tend not to thrive in American business culture !

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
Guiri Green":1ep9yv9e said:
cheshiregreen":1ep9yv9e said:

That's Ryan Lowes get out of jail card, the fact that we did have a period where we looked good. As long as we don't have to play everybody twice next season so they can't suss us out, I think we might do better.

But teams suss us out after 45 mins, let alone over 2 games.

leeroy221

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
May 10, 2015
The worry for me is, given the poor spells we have had, and an awfull end of season, how can we look forward with any confidence? I like Lowe and want him to turn it around but, given the poor runs, would you trust him to spend the budget, build another team, to then have a poor start and need to get another manager in, who then wants to build his own team? I am a positive peraon and the signings he makes over the summer will determine whether the fans go into the season with any confidence or not.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Ave_IT":156bjydr said:
cheshiregreen":156bjydr said:

Maybe, we had a fair few loan players and mostly in defence, we reached the point when we were mathematically safe and just stopped trying (so it seemed), had there been fans in the stadium the likelihood is we’d have picked up a few more points.
I did look at our last 6 games and I did not expect to pick up a point but we actually did stay up quite comfortably.
Undoubtedly, RL has a huge task ahead of him in the close season but we have no idea how this is going to impact on next season.

Jul 12, 2016
Ade the green":7iqsv5bd said:
Ave_IT":7iqsv5bd said:
cheshiregreen":7iqsv5bd said:

Maybe, we had a fair few loan players and mostly in defence, we reached the point when we were mathematically safe and just stopped trying (so it seemed), had there been fans in the stadium the likelihood is we’d have picked up a few more points.
I did look at our last 6 games and I did not expect to pick up a point but we actually did stay up quite comfortably.
Undoubtedly, RL has a huge task ahead of him in the close season but we have no idea how this is going to impact on next season.
"We actually did stay up quite comfortably"!
Admittedly we missed relegation by 6 points but I was far from comfortable. I shudder to think what could have happened if all teams still had two games to play.I cannot recall another season where so many mistakes have been made repeatedly by so many players with staff who are incapable of changing anything.