why the collapse? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

why the collapse?

Dec 30, 2020
This was a very good question posed on a 'brief synopsis' thread recently that got lost in the discussion. Why did we go from being a perfectly fine league 1 side for most of the season, to worse than relegation form for the last two months?

My guess is a combination of the below (in no particular order):

1) High number young players who a) tired over the course of their first full season of league football and b) found it harder to keep morale up during a poor run than experienced players who've been through it before.

2) Condensed season particularly affecting Argyle, who do more travelling than any other club

3) Long-term decision to get Wootton and Canavan off the wage bill in January left us with no cover at centre back for subsequent injuries and loss of form

4) Subconsciously, having little to play for probably affected us in the final few games

5) Our attacking play is quite predictable, with Mayor drifting to the left and then trying to fashion a scoring chance in combination with the left wing back. I fear teams worked us out, to an extent.

The good news is that the first 4 of these 5 won't apply next season or are easily resolvable. Whether we can bring in players and work on systems that give us a few more offensive options feels like the big challenge of the close season.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
greenpilled":lnq3raiz said:
This was a very good question posed on a 'Brief Synopsis (Sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd)' thread recently that got lost in the discussion. Why did we go from being a perfectly fine league 1 side for most of the season, to worse than relegation form for the last two months?

My guess is a combination of the below (in no particular order):

1) High number young players who a) tired over the course of their first full season of league football and b) found it harder to keep morale up during a poor run than experienced players who've been through it before.

2) Condensed season particularly affecting Argyle, who do more travelling than any other club

3) Long-term decision to get Wootton and Canavan off the wage bill in January left us with no cover at centre back for subsequent injuries and loss of form

4) Subconsciously, having little to play for probably affected us in the final few games

5) Our attacking play is quite predictable, with Mayor drifting to the left and then trying to fashion a scoring chance in combination with the left wing back. I fear teams worked us out, to an extent.

The good news is that the first 4 of these 5 won't apply next season or are easily resolvable. Whether we can bring in players and work on systems that give us a few more offensive options feels like the big challenge of the close season.

Point 5 is crucial to our success. Attacking wise we are very good on the left hand side and a lot of that is attributed to the skill of Danny Mayor pulling defensiveb players towards him and giving space to the the wider LWB who is able to deliver a ball in that quite often causes a dangerous moment for the opposition.

To me the right sided midfielder is a priority position next season as I just don’t think Pan is good enough to keep us from being lopsided as he often cuts back in. For me I think we might already have the lopsided solution in our ranks - George Cooper.... if he was right midfield he can beat a man, cut inside and has a good shot but importantly he can pick a pass to an overlapping RWB (just as Mayor does so often) and can also cross with either foot himself.

The other benefit to this is that if we have more attacking potency down the right then we should also see the best of Danny Mayor* who won’t be able to be double marked as often.

*assuming he signs a new contract with us that is.