Will it be Derby not Wycombe v Argyle next season? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Will it be Derby not Wycombe v Argyle next season?

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... play-rules

Derby face being deducted points after the EFL won its appeal over the club's breaching of Financial Fair Play rules.

Wayne Rooney's side - who narrowly avoided relegation to League One on the final day of the Championship season - could now be hit with a points deduction.

The EFL is pushing for any sanctions against Derby to be determined as soon as possible.

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
If they do deduct points they'll probably apply it for next season.
Didn't they do that with Sheffield Wednesday??

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
I could be completely wrong on this but I vividly remember hearing that the ruling on points deductions after a season had ended depended on whether it would have any affect on that clubs position or not.

If it made no difference the deduction was carried over until the following season.

If it affected the final position then it would be applied this season.

Like I said, I could be completely wrong.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Ross":69jjbojc said:
I could be completely wrong on this but I vividly remember hearing that the ruling on points deductions after a season had ended depended on whether it would have any affect on that clubs position or not.

If it made no difference the deduction was carried over until the following season.

That's certainly true about the deduction for going into admin.

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
Argylegames":3h28hngr said:
Ross":3h28hngr said:

Administration, that was it. Clearly not the same as here but you would think the logic would be the same.

This is the EFL mind :facepalm:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Argylegames":1tt4ymy6 said:
Ross":1tt4ymy6 said:

Yep. That’s why Wigan got their 12 point deduction immediately and Wednesday got it the following season, then reduced to 6 on appeal. No doubt Derby will get the same. Cheating gets :whistle:

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I think the anti-Wycombe sentiment has surely had its day. I mean, it’s years ago. Ainsworth has done a great job at Wycombe and he should be attracting the attention of bigger clubs.

That hair though……

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
If they've cheated through not adhering to FFP rules then they've been playing with players they really shouldn't have which surely affected what happened this season so they should be relegated & Wycombe stay up.
Fair play to Ainsworth , what he's done there is fantastic.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Devongreenowl":3s12r2be said:
I think the anti-Wycombe sentiment has surely had its day. I mean, it’s years ago. Ainsworth has done a great job at Wycombe and he should be attracting the attention of bigger clubs.

That hair though……

Nope, I'll hold my grudges for as long as I think fit thanks.

The horrible little club will do a Yeovil hopefully.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Can't see the EFL and whoever sorting this out in time for any sanctions to apply to this season, unfortunately.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
IJN":2ouktomo said:
Devongreenowl":2ouktomo said:

That hair though……

Nope, I'll hold my grudges for as long as I think fit thanks.

The horrible little club will do a Yeovil hopefully.

Well you’ll be able to indulge your grudge to your hearts content next season then Ian. Don’t see em doing a Yeovil though, not whilst Ainsworth is in charge anyway.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
German Shepherd":17pe9rgs said:
If they've cheated through not adhering to FFP rules then they've been playing with players they really shouldn't have which surely affected what happened this season so they should be relegated & Wycombe stay up.
Fair play to Ainsworth , what he's done there is fantastic.

They've not exactly been cheating though, they have just used a different accounting format to arrive at their profit/loss figure. In accounting circles they've done nothing wrong. By amortising player values over the length of their contracts, a bigger profit can be shown when they sell.

You might ask, why would they want to record larger profits? Well Championship clubs are allowed to lose up to £39 million per year so by using a different calculating method on their transfer activity, they can show themselves further away from that cap albeit only on paper.

So how?

If you buy a player for £12 million and sell him twelve months later for £24 million, then to you and I a profit of £12 million has been made.

However, if you sign a player for £12 million and his value is amortised over the length of his 4 year contract, his value one year later is only £9 million. Sell him at this point for £24 million and a profit of £15 million can be recorded.

Their appeal has failed because the rules assume that everyone calculates their losses in the same way. Good try Derby but hard luck.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Funny thread this one. We’ve got a minnow club who against all the odds have managed to drag their way up to the Championship, losing out in the end to a big name club who have been caught out using creative accountancy methods. Said minnow club gets labelled 'horrible little club' while a case is made that big name club hasn’t really done anything wrong. Football eh!

I look forward to seeing Gareth Ainsworth rock up at HP next season in his boots, leather jacket and whatever hairstyle he is rocking. Proper football character, good manager and nice bloke.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
:scarf:
Devongreenowl":333vw96l said:
Funny thread this one. We’ve got a minnow club who against all the odds have managed to drag their way up to the Championship, losing out in the end to a big name club who have been caught out using creative accountancy methods. Said minnow club gets labelled 'horrible little club' while a case is made that big name club hasn’t really done anything wrong. Football eh!

I look forward to seeing Gareth Ainsworth rock up at HP next season in his boots, leather jacket and whatever hairstyle he is rocking. Proper football character, good manager and nice bloke.
:scarf: