Ben Reeves | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ben Reeves

May 8, 2011
Lowe said: "Reevesy is a fantastic footballer, a lovely person, a great lad to have around but didn't suit my style."

Football or clothes?

If football why didn’t the data analysis and fantastic recruitment process pick that up?

Sep 2, 2008
HC Green":1l543iaz said:
Lowe said: "Reevesy is a fantastic footballer, a lovely person, a great lad to have around but didn't suit my style."

Football or clothes?

If football why didn’t the data analysis and fantastic recruitment process pick that up?

Releasing Reeves is another example that demonstrates Lowe doesn't have a clue as far as I'm concerned. Why would he not want to keep and play an established league one footballer, happy on either foot, energetic, can pick a pass, aggressive in the tackle and can score goals.

Reeves should have been given far more game time than he was.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Pottypilgrim":yumvydyw said:
HC Green":yumvydyw said:

Football or clothes?

Releasing Reeves is another example that demonstrates Lowe doesn't have a clue as far as I'm concerned. Why would he not want to keep and play an established league one footballer, happy on either foot, energetic, can pick a pass, aggressive in the tackle and can score goals.

Why did he also get released by previous clubs?

You want Argyle to fill a squad full of 30 year olds unsuitable for the way the manager wants to play?

Sep 2, 2008
Justin":2xrr51e5 said:
Pottypilgrim":2xrr51e5 said:
HC Green":2xrr51e5 said:

Football or clothes?

Why did he also get released by previous clubs?

You want Argyle to fill a squad full of 30 year olds unsuitable for the way the manager wants to play?

Why sign him in the first place then? It's not as if Lowe didn't know what type of player he is as he would have had the data analysis and had him watched.

Lowe is erratic and out of his depth as a league one manager. I believe that we will really struggle again next season.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
HC Green":2fafns82 said:

Football or clothes?

Managers eh?

Reminds me of a case of a football manager who narrowed the width of his home playing surface.

He signed two players, let's call them Lionel and Gregg, who were recognised by most as wingers and then played a formation where wingers weren't employed.

It all ended very disappointingly, poor Gregg started just two league matches in his first season and one in his second.
Poor Lionel only started three league games in his two seasons too.

Guess this was another case where the players (plural in this case) didn’t suit the manager's style. :think:

May 18, 2011
I get what the posters above are saying 100%, but in fairness to Lowe atleast he has come out and said he made a mistake and gave an explanation, I personally liked reeves and was frustrated he didn't start more but Lowe has told us all why, Peterborough are a great example of a club that uses data to sign players and they turnover loads of players, for every toney and marriot they sign quite a few that don't work out to.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Ben Reeves will be a very good signing for someone in league one or two. Never got enough game time in my book but if Ryan Lowe didn’t want to play him it was a waste of time for both. Hopefully lesson will have been learned.

Dorset Green

✅ Evergreen
Feb 8, 2009
Bridport
HC Green":332ro95f said:

Football or clothes?

Another bit of tedious Ryan Lowe bashing. I'm not Lowe's biggest fan but I can see why Ben Reeves appeared a player worth signing but in practice although quite a skilled player he didn't ever look as though he fitted into a particular role. I don't recall Derek Adams being faultless in his signings !

Jul 12, 2016
HC Green":1iychfb1 said:

Football or clothes?

Good point.

Jul 12, 2016
sussex green":3v0rq3l6 said:
I get what the posters above are saying 100%, but in fairness to Lowe atleast he has come out and said he made a mistake and gave an explanation, I personally liked reeves and was frustrated he didn't start more but Lowe has told us all why, Peterborough are a great example of a club that uses data to sign players and they turnover loads of players, for every toney and marriot they sign quite a few that don't work out to.
So not that different to the traditional ways of recruiting players :whistle:

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
In my opinion, Reeves SHOULD have had more game time but, ultimately, if he doesn’t fit into Lowe’s plans then really, there is no space for him.

I mean, to be honest, what else is Lowe expected to say? That Reeves was entirely unprofessional, lazy and unfit? Absolutely not.

I would hope Lowe saying that Reeves is a good lad etc helps him get a club elsewhere. Anything negative about him would be detrimental to him signing elsewhere.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I felt sorry for Reeves travelling around the country in difficult times hoping to play 10 minutes at the end of a game, for an experienced player it must have been frustrating for him. He made the fifth highest amount of sub appearances in League One.

That said, it was a Covid season and last summer Lowe had to have more squad fillers than usual and all managers do make signings that for different reasons don't work out (Sean Evers).

I remember the previous Argyle manager signing Lionel Ainsworth, Gregg Wylde second time, Simon Church, Paul Paton, Daniel Nardiello, Karleigh Osborne, Paul Paton and David Ijaha all who hardly played. It happens.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Absolutely, at times this season Argyle needed to acquire players fast, with limited funds and on a temporary basis only. It’s therefore inevitable that some signings didn’t quite hit the mark. The real error would have been to sign such players to longer contracts.

May 8, 2011
Dorset Pilgrim":2cs570dr said:
HC Green":2cs570dr said:

Football or clothes?

Another bit of tedious Ryan Lowe bashing. I'm not Lowe's biggest fan but I can see why Ben Reeves appeared a player worth signing but in practice although quite a skilled player he didn't ever look as though he fitted into a particular role. I don't recall Derek Adams being faultless in his signings !

Who is criticising the manger?

This was said by Dewsnip in April 2020

With a freshly implemented philosophy, based around the attacking ideals of manager Ryan Lowe, the Greens have a clear style of play in mind when assessing potential recruits.

Access to key performance data allows club staff to better identify players that are suited to Lowe’s attacking brand of football – likely making them a better fit.

Dewsnip explains: “Our playing style is a big part of our model. We are looking at players who we believe will fit into our style of play – and that’s agreed between Ryan, myself, the Board and the coaching staff.

So how come they identified Reeves as fitting our style of play?

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I can only think that Reeves wasn't quick enough to suit Lowe's style, because he's certainly good enough on the ball - better than a number of other DM's / CM's we've had under Lowe.

I thought technically he was an excellent player - and if he could have been coached into a David Fox-style screening role where he didn't have to do too much running, he would have been worth keeping. However, I think Lowe prefers energy over positional awareness.