• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Len Casey MBE, reaches 90 years of age

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
The captain of our 1958-59 promotion side, Len Casey MBE, is 90 today. At the time he was only the third man to captain an Argyle side to promotion. A wing half back, Casey joined Argyle in December 1958, in a £15000 deal that also included left back Wally Bellet. Both had played in the Chelsea first team the Saturday before.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
God bless him, a ripe old age that's for sure.

Well done Pilgrim. :nworthy:

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
I certainly saw him play! Congratulations Len. Here's to a few more Birthdays!

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Bovey-Green lady":2tpu730k said:
Me too !! A belated happy birthday Len. I also have his autograph in my autograph book safely stored somewhere in my attic.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I am pleased he has reached that grand age. As a school boy, I also can recall him playing in the old Div.2.

Does MM know what he did after his early retirement from the game, and his good works to be awarded a MBE?

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Green as Grass":ndxffsws said:
Bovey-Green lady":ndxffsws said:
Me too !! A belated happy birthday Len. I also have his autograph in my autograph book safely stored somewhere in my attic.
Just think, Green as Grass, we could have sat there, dear little 12 year olds, and shared a mug of Bovril at half time!

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Bovey-Green lady":26020ha4 said:
Green as Grass":26020ha4 said:
Bovey-Green lady":26020ha4 said:
Just think, Green as Grass, we could have sat there, dear little 12 year olds, and shared a mug of Bovril at half time!
..................and probably had an Ivor Dewdneys pasty from the man who walked around the perimeter of the pitch with a tray of pastys suspended from his neck and a perpetual runny nose which used to drip onto the pastys. However it did not do us any harm, we survived to tell the tale !!!

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Quintrell_Green":2du2437a said:
I am pleased he has reached that grand age. As a school boy, I also can recall him playing in the old Div.2.

Does MM know what he did after his early retirement from the game, and his good works to be awarded a MBE?

Services to industrial training in Dagenham.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Emu":1jjiwq6h said:
Quintrell_Green":1jjiwq6h said:

Services to industrial training in Dagenham.

Thanks for that. I am sure Ford cars have benefitted from his efforts!

Jan 2, 2019
Quintrell_Green":1i4c1q5h said:

spent 25 years working for Dagenham Cables.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
WoodfordWall":sb7rpide said:
Quintrell_Green":sb7rpide said:

spent 25 years working for Dagenham Cables.
Exactly right. He could have stayed on a non-playing contract after the summer of 63. Ellis Stuttard admired his work with young players. But after a family conference they decided to return to the South East. Brenda Fulton helped with the conveyancing and Ron Blindell gave him s later to say he was the club scout for the South East ' even though he wasn't. But it enabled him to get a mortgage. After a few desd-end jobs s friend suggested Dagenham Cables. It was a great move and he quickly transformed their football team, winning the prestigious Cable Companies Cup. They also competed in the London Business League and played on some of the wonderful grounds owned by these businesses. The company believed his work with the football team was transferable to their work training. It was the right decision and his huge success in that field led to his award.

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
Thank you MM for the detailed information. Good to hear about a player I admired when I was a child.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Bovey-Green lady":9z6gn8f5 said:
Thank you MM for the detailed information. Good to hear about a player I admired when I was a child.
And of course, you were on good terms with their youngest daughter in Meredith Road!!!!

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
I sure was, MM. She was such a pretty little thing, like a little doll! (Yes, I know she will laugh if you tell her that!)