Living in Hope | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Living in Hope

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
Just been reading through the Brentford story. And remembering the many times we played there with a pub on every corner of the ground. Much of a similar club to us in a way (apart from the pubs), and well done to them for reaching the top flight of English football (for the second time). So my point is, Come on Argyle, let's aim for it, surely we can do it! The game gives us HOPE :thumbup:

Jun 27, 2019
Can't say I'm that pleased for them - it's another traditionally mediocre club who have reached the Premier League before us.

Plus they've had the benefit of a wealthy owner who has invested well over £100m so it's not exactly fairytale stuff.

We've got very little chance of following in their footsteps unless someone with serious money takes a shine to us.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I have to disagree there Woodsy. It is fairytale stuff, because despite the money invested Brentford is a fantastic example of how a football club should be run. There are many clubs in the Championship and sadly now lower down, that have spent far, far more than Brentford and not achieved PL status. They may come back down next year, or they may do a Bournemouth and have five or more years up there. If they can carry on unearthing quality players like they always seem to do, the future looks rosy for them. Hopefully Mr Hallett will one day attract the major investment which will enable Argyle to do something similar.

Feb 24, 2008
Devongreenowl":3uocmyi4 said:
I have to disagree there Woodsy. It is fairytale stuff, because despite the money invested Brentford is a fantastic example of how a football club should be run. There are many clubs in the Championship and sadly now lower down, that have spent far, far more than Brentford and not achieved PL status. They may come back down next year, or they may do a Bournemouth and have five or more years up there. If they can carry on unearthing quality players like they always seem to do, the future looks rosy for them. Hopefully Mr Hallett will one day attract the major investment which will enable Argyle to do something similar.

Not very fairytale in the fact they shut down the whole youth set-up. No home grown players will emerge for the club. Spending the money on transfer fees and extra wages including more wages for better loan signings.

As a small club who we've crossed paths with, yes fair play to them reaching the P L but they've decided money comes 1st, for me. Would we be happy closing our youth set up? (Especially after the players coming though this season) ? Is that the 'fantastic example of how a football club should be run' .

Hope we get there one day, in my lifetime, even for the 'one season'

Jun 27, 2019
Not to mention that in a squad of 31, just seven of them are English.

With no youth academy and a penchant for signing foreign players they aren't exactly doing their bit for the English game.

Their fans won't care though and good on them. I hope they enjoy the ride.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
The thing is they have now made it into the upper level of teams, those who can spend more thanks to the parachute payments they get when they drop out of the Prem. Clubs like WBA who keep bouncing between Prem and Championship thanks to that money. Wycombe had no real hope competing with those clubs.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I am glad for them and very very jealous.

They'll have a season or two up there and then they'll be an upper Championship club again for a few years. Stuff we can only dream of really.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I see us more of a Blackpool.

Average facilities, out on the sticks and relatively unfavourable.

We just need to keep building the blocks and worry only about what we are doing.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Not being funny, but Argyle have struggled to keep up with Exeter on the youth side. Imagine what it was like trying to compete with Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and all the other PL sides in the London area for young players. Don’t blame Brentford at all for scrapping their youth system. They’ve found a way that really works for them. As for signing lots of foreign players - I seem to recall Argyle being a very cosmopolitan outfit in those far off championship days. Brentford - some mediocre club!

May 22, 2006
Not sure how many people realise that Brentford are basically owned by a professional gambler. The much vaunted data analysis is also used for horse racing and other sports so that bets can be placed by a team of employees.

The set up is very similar to fellow professional gambler, Tony Bloom, who is behind Brighton and Hove Albion.

Nov 26, 2019
WoodsyGreen":1mi2pwcq said:
Can't say I'm that pleased for them - it's another traditionally mediocre club who have reached the Premier League before us.

Plus they've had the benefit of a wealthy owner who has invested well over £100m so it's not exactly fairytale stuff.

We've got very little chance of following in their footsteps unless someone with serious money takes a shine to us.
Yes a rich owner but a very well ran club from top to bottom both on and off the field. I remember Malcolm Allison saying a good club he’d liked to have managed?
Their are a number of sugar daddy clubs who spend big but are badly ran. I wish Brentford well and hope we could achieve something similar are problem is managers and players think Devon and Cornwall are as far away as the planet Neptune and the media ignore West country teams.

Jun 27, 2019
Devongreenowl":1tpoeaqp said:
IJN":1tpoeaqp said:

Very, very honest. :thumbup:

We're all jealous of Brentford, but it goes without saying really. Just like we're jealous of Hull, Swansea, Wigan, Blackpool, Huddersfield, Bournemouth and so on and so on. All clubs who aren't (in the modern era at least) any bigger or better than us but have managed to break into the promised land.

Brentford are just the latest in a long line of clubs to beat us to it. Frustrating doesn't do it justice.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
WoodsyGreen":1itui0x1 said:
Devongreenowl":1itui0x1 said:
IJN":1itui0x1 said:

Very, very honest. :thumbup:

We're all jealous of Brentford, but it goes without saying really. Just like we're jealous of Hull, Swansea, Wigan, Blackpool, Huddersfield, Bournemouth and so on and so on. All clubs who aren't (in the modern era at least) any bigger or better than us but have managed to break into the promised land.

Brentford are just the latest in a long line of clubs to beat us to it. Frustrating doesn't do it justice.

The Premier League is fifty up with Brentford gaining their new status. 50 clubs in 30 seasons whereas only 60 different clubs made it to the First Division in over 100 years before the split in 1992. That means statistically it is now easier to get there than it ever was pre Premier League.