Ryan Lowe - two years at Argyle

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
Two years ago today Ryan Lowe was appointed as our manager.

Both of his seasons were affected by Covid although Lowe did get us promoted in his first season and introduced a style of football and formation that we haven't seen for a while.
The wing-back system lends itself to an attacking style of football which we saw plenty of in League Two but in League One playing against better teams the system becomes a back five as opposition teams push us back.

Lowe's league win ratio over 83 games is 40.9%.

Highs: Promotion at the first attempt, attacking football, playing youth academy players.
Lows: 6-0 home defeat against Charlton, 4-0 away defeat against Exeter, passing sideways without venturing forward did become tedious.

Overall: 7/10. Promotion achieved from League Two at first attempt and retained status in League One. Job done on both counts.

League win percentages of the previous 10 managers:
Derek Adams - 44.1%
John Sheridan - 38.9%
Carl Fletcher - 23.8%
Peter Reid - 27.3%
Paul Mariner - 25.9%
Paul Sturrock 2 - 28.7%
Ian Holloway - 37.1%
Tony Pulis - 29.7%
Bobby Williamson - 32.7%
Paul Sturrock 1 - 50.3%

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
The biggest value point of lowe and Schumacher being here is the good feeling factor and positive freshness.

Yes heā€™s young and inexperienced but heā€™s got the hunger to improve and better himself and the club.

Heā€™s trying new things and got the tools to really make this club his own.

We need to enjoy the journey with him and see where it takes us.

Jul 28, 2020
Passing and moving v defending in depth and playing long to a big centre forward -
These are two sides of the same footballing coin if you ask me.

You can win with either style- but in my opinion the best managers and best sides vary these styles and can play both ways with the same 11 players

Lowes sides have too many ball players, lack a physical presence and just donā€™t know how to defend. He also needs to learn there are two wings on a football pitch, and how to incorporate a big centre forward into his team.

The signing of Wilson and rumours about big centre half Dan scarr ,are very positive signs.

6/10 So far : must do better

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Kentishgreen":unf4ywc3 said:
Blimey. A better win percentage than Holloway. Thatā€™ll upset a few.

Lack of context with looking at win percentage though. Holloway was in the Championship. Adamā€™s on the other hand had two seasons in League Two. Reid/Fletcher had the job in awful circumstances. So comparisons are difficult based on win percentage.

Anyway, I think if youā€™d told any Argyle fan when Lowe was appointed that two years on weā€™d be back in League One and just finished the campaign without being in a relegation battle, pretty much everyone wouldā€™ve taken it.

But thereā€™s no two ways about it, we need to be pushing on this season. A top half finish should be the minimum expectation.

Oct 31, 2015
Kentishgreen":3p142u7k said:

Yea but this season would have given that stat a good beating in a lower division than Hollowards.

I suppose you can counter argue budgets though.

Sturrock still by far the best and amazingly DA second even after that atrocious season.

Feb 12, 2019
Plymouth
Nobby":3seshvo2 said:
Kentishgreen":3seshvo2 said:

Lack of context with looking at win percentage though. Holloway was in the Championship. Adamā€™s on the other hand had two seasons in League Two. Reid/Fletcher had the job in awful circumstances. So comparisons are difficult based on win percentage.

Anyway, I think if youā€™d told any Argyle fan when Lowe was appointed that two years on weā€™d be back in League One and just finished the campaign without being in a relegation battle, pretty much everyone wouldā€™ve taken it.

But thereā€™s no two ways about it, we need to be pushing on this season. A top half finish should be the minimum expectation.

Adams also had a season in league 1 with us, remember when we got relegated??
Find it strange that he's left newly promoted Morecombe.

Mar 24, 2019
Love the positivity he brings , have enjoyed some of the football weā€™ve played in spells and you have to say promotion then survival is a good return.

I think next season is a huge one for Ryan lowes career . There were times last year when we looked rudderless and he didnā€™t seem to have the answers.....I put a lot of that down to poor recruitment , I donā€™t think it was possible to be solid defensively with those players ....if he can show that heā€™s learnt from last year , recruit better players and achieve a top half finish , then weā€™re moving in the right direction....Iā€™m fully behind him

Jun 27, 2019
doozer":1jzoci0i said:
Love the positivity he brings , have enjoyed some of the football weā€™ve played in spells and you have to say promotion then survival is a good return.

I think next season is a huge one for Ryan lowes career . There were times last year when we looked rudderless and he didnā€™t seem to have the answers.....I put a lot of that down to poor recruitment , I donā€™t think it was possible to be solid defensively with those players ....if he can show that heā€™s learnt from last year , recruit better players and achieve a top half finish , then weā€™re moving in the right direction....Iā€™m fully behind him

Yep. I can't see SH tolerating another lowly finish. Progress will have to be made and that probably means a top-half finish and no more thrashings of the kind we endured last season.

Doyley43

āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
doozer":1mu8tqkm said:

Well said and I agree with you

Jan 5, 2020
I agree with the above aswell. Some excellent football at times and some hungry young players. Just a bit more experience needed at times and that comes down to recruitment.

A huge season for the club and Lowe but for now, things look mostly positive.

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Kentishgreen":2swai9si said:
If you want to compare Managers and their win ratio, surely it has to be at the same level.

A promotion-winning Manager in the 4th tier is not necessarily a better Manger that someone who achieves survival in the 2nd tier.

Jan 30, 2016
Blackpool promoted - yet this Lowe team outplayed them up at Blackpool who were lucky to get a draw. I have enjoyed watching Argyle even though there were some bad days at the office. Lowe hopefully has learned his lessons from last season and will recruit players that can connately perform at the Blackpool level.
score 6/10

If you recall his goals were set out as:
season 1 avoid relegation
season 2 promotion
season 3 consolidation
season 4 promotion
season 5 consolidation in the Championship

He has achieved the first three so on track.