Captains | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Captains

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
A post on another thread got me thinking...who is the best captain Argyle have had in recent history? Not necessarily who won the most trophies, but showed the most leadership qualities as a captain.

We've had some decent leaders in the past. A few that came to the top of my head:

George Foster
Gerry McElhinney
Tommy Tynan
Jock Morrison
Steve Castle
Micky Heathcote
Paul Wotton
Carl Fletcher
Joe Edwards?

Oh course there is Jack Chisholm but he's before my time. :D

Bovey Green lady

🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
I expect Johnny Newman is also before your time, but for an oldie like me, he 's my all time best Captain.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Emu":3k8d2omg said:
A post on another thread got me thinking...who is the best captain Argyle have had in recent history? Not necessarily who won the most trophies, but showed the most leadership qualities as a captain.

We've had some decent leaders in the past. A few that came to the top of my head:

George Foster
Gerry McElhinney
Tommy Tynan
Jock Morrison
Steve Castle
Micky Heathcote
Paul Wotton
Carl Fletcher
Joe Edwards?

Oh course there is Jack Chisholm but he's before my time. :D

And 6 out of the 10 names mentioned were centre halves. Is there a moral there?

Greendawe

♣️ PASALB Member
Mar 20, 2020
And I would add another centre half, Jumbo Chisholm. He could hardly move but a solid centre half and commanding captain leading a promotion winning team into what is now the Championship.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knibbsworth":1o2ouey4 said:
You can't argue with what Paul Wotton achieved.
and I think he has the distinction of being the first to ask for the job. Paul Sturrock was about to go with Cocko when Wotton expressed how desperate he was to do it. I'm not sure Cocko was that bothered, though he was skipper towards the end of the second promotion season when Wotton had lost his place

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Bovey-Green lady":2txqvqw3 said:
I expect Johnny Newman is also before your time, but for an oldie like me, he 's my all time best Captain.
Without doubt in our lifetime Johnny Newman was head and shoulders above all the rest although I expect my Dad would have gone for Jack Chisholm.
I also thought Graham Coughlin and Mike Green were excellent Captains

Jun 27, 2019
Jock Morrison - bit of a nutter but he would run through brick walls for the team and was a proper Janner (albeit a Scottish one). If Shilton had kept him we would have gone up comfortably in 94.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Strictly in terms of leadership qualities and looking the part as Captain, from those I saw play I would have to say Johnny Newman and Mick Heathcote.

Jul 28, 2020
WoodsyGreen":12r7bybi said:
Jock Morrison - bit of a nutter but he would run through brick walls for the team and was a proper Janner (albeit a Scottish one). If Shilton had kept him we would have gone up comfortably in 94.

Yes, what a good player he was. Blackpool hall- of - famer, and in a recent interview for Man City they referred to him as a “ city legend”- what an accolade.

Jul 12, 2016
The centre halves mentioned wore the shirt with pride and I can remember a couple of them playing on bloodied and bandaged to ensure they kept the goals out.A credit to the club.