Superb picture | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Superb picture

Z

ZZZZmike27

Walking around Plymouth indoor market today I spotted a framed black and white airial photograph of Home Park taken January 10th 1948. There was no main grandstand and all the ground was uncovered bar a part of the Devonport end which had a skewed cover, covering about half of that end.

Outside in the car park, which did not look tarmaced, there were, I guess, less than 100 hundred cars which looked mostly black in colour. There appeared to be some coaches there also and a couple of buses.

The sheen on the roads suggested that it had been (or was) raining.

The game was in progress and it was a 3rd round cup tie against Luton Town who I guess were in the top division at that time..

The score was Argyle 2 Luton Town 4.

The attendance was an eye watering 36,195.

What a great great picture and it was for sale at £35.

May 22, 2006
mike27":nd1luh5n said:
Walking around Plymouth indoor market today I spotted a framed black and white airial photograph of Home Park taken January 10th 1948. There was no main grandstand and all the ground was uncovered bar a part of the Devonport end which had a skewed cover, covering about half of that end.

Outside in the car park, which did not look tarmaced, there were, I guess, less than 100 hundred cars which looked mostly black in colour. There appeared to be some coaches there also and a couple of buses.

The game was in progress and it was a 3rd round cup tie against Luton Town who I guess were in the top division at that time..

You managed to ascertain that from an arial photograph?
:lol:

Z

ZZZZmike27

Ham Green":2g0rj95x said:
mike27":2g0rj95x said:

No Sham Green the information attached to the photo gave all that.

mike27":3nsojzjo said:
Ham Green":3nsojzjo said:
mike27":3nsojzjo said:

No the information attached to the photo gave all that.

Must of taken ages to count the attendance :lol: :lol:

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Any picture of the old Barn Park scoreboard working would be worth twice that.

"Why it's the salty sea air, you see, my luvver.."

Z

ZZZZmike27

Gary_Wills":1wl4x7z0 said:
Any picture of the old Barn Park scoreboard working would be worth twice that.
"Why it's the salty sea air, you see, my luvver.."

Probably no-one there on the day that happened.

Z

ZZZZmike27

It's not been sold and I looked at it again thisw morning. The stallholder gave me a magnifying glass and some good detail emerged. Of interest there was a guy walking a dog and I reckon it might have been TinTin. :)