Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984

N

NorfolkGreen

Just wondered how many of you were at the game in 1984 and how many are loyal fans? The game was 26 years ago, we've been through a lot but are still here, give yourselves a pat on the back.

My abiding memory of that day was the Holte end being a sea of green and hearing "You'll Never Walk Alone" sung by the GA, it was and still is a magical experience.

I am, so that's one for a start

G

green_for_life

I was there but I wont claim any superfan status as I've had gap years since. What I will say though is that particular day was probably my most emotionally draining 'Argo' day of all time. The cup meant something back in those days and seeing us as the better team losing that day & missing out on Wembley was just the most heart-breaking Argo feeling ever.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
I was there and as far as the FA Cup goes it did feel like a final. Brilliant atmosphere, but because of the result I'd have to put the Wembley visit above it. Would love an occassion like that again but i fear it's going to be a long time coming.

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
Was gutted to miss it was only 11 and no one would take me ! went to the quarter final and that was brilliant but especially gutted as was at the Barking game in round 2
For me there have been great moments since although I personally think the colchester home match takes some beating as the thought of going to wembley was actully mutch better than the anti-climax when we got there however the result made up for th crap match
I also went over to Austria for the Real Madrid game which despite being only a friendly was one of my highlights shook hands with Mr Holloway at the end and had a great deal of optimism at the time
At least he has done what he promised with a small club pity our board werent beleivers as they asked us to be !
Cest La Vie

Feb 25, 2008
Crownhill
Yes, I was there with my dad and a mate. I lived in Swindon at the time, Having been a season ticket holder for umpteen years before moving off I came back 4 years ago after 32 years away. It still feels like I'm on holiday.

As for the match and the cup run, it just shows what a following we can have with a moderate amount of success. It was a great day and we deserved to win - damn that George Reilly! :twisted:

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I was there. The company I worked for had an Exec Box on the half way line. Took Argyle fans and family. Great view of the Green Army but had Watford fans in front of us.

Had to drive back down the M1 to drop someone off in London and was surrounded by Watford fans all the way down there - a bit sole destroying but they were great and added to a great day.

How did Hodgie miss ? Also met Jim Rosenthal outside the ground - wow!

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I was certainly there, but then again I had forked out my pocket money for every home game that season and quite a few away.

The 83-84 cup run was my introduction to the bandwagon effect - suddenly "my" club had been infiltrated by a bunch of undeserving know-it-alls and I really didn't like it!

The laddish lads at school who had taken the pi$$ out of anyone stupid enough to go to Argyle were now the biggest fans. Where had they been earlier in the season when I had stood in crowds that regularly topped out at just over 3,000? People like me had actually kept that club alive and I indignantly felt I should get a special badge or hat or something.

Older and wiser now, I know that's just life.

Incidentally, the same thing had happened earlier that season - remember the Arsenal games in the League Cup? Charlie Nicholas, Grahame Rix et al.

Sure enough, a few weeks after Villa Park the gates were back down to 5,000, although there was a very healthy turnout of 7k in our last home game against Orient which we had to win to stay up. We all went on the pitch at the end of the game and it felt like being among friends again :)

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
Dreamgreen":1e9nxtl5 said:
I was there. The company I worked for had an Exec Box on the half way line. Took Argyle fans and family. Great view of the Green Army but had Watford fans in front of us.

Had to drive back down the M1 to drop someone off in London and was surrounded by Watford fans all the way down there - a bit sole destroying but they were great and added to a great day.

How did Hodgie miss ? Also met Jim Rosenthal outside the ground - wow!

I got a letter from Graham Taylor a few years ago in response to a Watford-related favour I asked of him (which he very generously did me).

I had mentioned that I was an Argyle fan, but nothing more. His letter back recalled the day at Villa Park. "I can still see the shot by Kevin Hodges", he wrote, "I was certain it was going in."

A true gent, and what a memory he must have.

Graham Green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
May 26, 2010
Swindon
Four of us went although only two of us were regulars. Paid a mate to drive who didn't have a ticket who listened to it parked near the Bull ring. Met up with more mates at a pub in Worcester at 10.30am. Parts of the game still remain a bit hazy!

I remember our league results were poor around the later rounds. Watched us lose 5-0 at Oxford before the Semi.

The M5 was a sight with green flying out of vehicles of all kinds. I am convinced to this day I saw a Devon county ambulance tanking up the motorway with an Argyle scarf hanging out of the window.
My parents went up on one of the special trains. 7 in total? My uncle who worked at Laira depot told me they were scrambling around the region to find enough coaches to meet the demand with so many going.

Those sort of days seem less likely these days with the league more a direct relation to your clubs wealth. The small side is less likely to beat the odds particularly in the top flight.

Thats why the memories of that day stick with me.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I was there just. Myself and 2 friends had a coach excursion on probably the slowest bus in Cornwall. We squeezed into the ground's standing terraces diagonally opposite the Holt End just 2 minutes before k.o. I am 75 inches tall and it was still a poor position although I could see Hodgies fatal shot miss the goal post nearest to me by the width of the football.

Having been forced into Taunton bus station on the outward journey to take on fuel the damn driver failed to take in enough and we ran out of fuel in Cornwall on the way home. We were stuck for about 3 hours as it was impossible to get a relief bus to us at circa 2300hrs because the home bus depot was locked up and cars were parked in front of its' gates from those attending a disco in NQY with a very late licence. What a draining 20 hour period, hope, excitement, despair, dissappointment and frustration in abundance. In fact, a bit like last season!

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
I wasn't born then (shame...probably be the only time we'll ever reach a cup final!) but were we as lucky as in the 1/4 final of 2007?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Super_horns":2wxfe8lo said:
I wasn't born then (shame...probably be the only time we'll ever reach a cup final!) but were we as lucky as in the 1/4 final of 2006?

we had a better team than you in 84 and you had Steve Sherwood in goal!! one turn and cross by Barnes, one header by Reilly, only thing either of them got free to do all match!! we had two or three real scoring chances but, to be fair, WE missed - you didn't!! all football comes down to that in the end! we're still missing regularly!! :?

look at the final - you put up a really poor show against Everton, WE (then) would have given them a right good game (i reckon!)

was there with my (now) dear departed brother but have the 'legacy' of two Watford supporting nephews!! :eek:

:)