10 Years Ago Today | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

10 Years Ago Today

Jun 22, 2005
Remember all the names apart from Paul Mardon. Fleming was spectacularly bad if I remember rightly? :lol:

McGregor though :grin:

P

Paul_Roberts

God, 10 years?! That makes me feel old.

Actually, aren't we due back at Whaddon Road in a week or so?
*gulp*

Cant believe that was 10 years ago. What a dire day out that was. Had nice drive over the Cotswolds though. Not so good going back. A few great years followed that of course. But now it looks like same old Argyle sadly

G

Greenskin

Never to be forgotten,that one.Probably sealed Hodges fate,although i think he hung on for a little while longer.Actually,on paper,that was not a terrible side but on grass it was a different matter.Didn't realise Leadbitter was still here then-must have been one of the first victims of the Sturrock revolution,i suppose.

Jul 29, 2010
Without disagreeing with the broad thrust of the post which was 'my god wasn't that game bad', it's hardly a case of 'look how far we've come because i'd be pretty content with some of those names in our team now.
Wayne O'Sullivan would easily improve our right back position.
Adam Barrett would be better than anything we've got in central defence.
I'd take the tigerish Chris Leadbitter and Wotts in midfield, and how's about Chopsey in his prime on the right?. Beyond Fletch and Noone, what have we got now that's better?.
And in Paul McGregor we have a genius, head and shoulders over what we've got now up front. And whilst not head and shoulders better, McCarthy and Guinan don't seem so bad as they used to when you watch the striking class of 2010.
Far from an observation on Argyle 2000, what does it say about Argyle 2010?.

P

Paul_Roberts

Can't agree with that, X Isle. And nor did Paul Sturrock - of those players you mention, only Wotton was kept on.

That team was truly awful. I know we aren't exactly pulling up any trees now, but I'd say we've got players of better pedigree in our current side.

I might take Chopsy - but he was coming to the end of his effectiveness as an attacking threat back then anyway.

Jul 29, 2010
Paul_Roberts":2j4gzamm said:
Can't agree with that, X Isle. And nor did Paul Sturrock - of those players you mention, only Wotton was kept on.

That team was truly awful. I know we aren't exactly pulling up any trees now, but I'd say we've got players of better pedigree in our current side.

I might take Chopsy - but he was coming to the end of his effectiveness as an attacking threat back then anyway.

Wayne O'Sullivan is no better than Karl Duguid?.
Adam Barrett, a stalwart L1 captain, regular scorer and PFA X1 for the last decade is no better than calamity N'Gala or can't mark for toffee Johnson?.
Paul Macgregor is no better than this seasons preferred first pick Rory Patterson?.
It's all a matter of opinion I guess but mine happens to be that I certainly don't believe as a squad we're a country mile better than we were 10 years ago. We've not dropped to league 2 (yet?) but it's not as if the comparison is as ridiculous as it looked 2-3 years ago is it. I worry that with what we've got we have more 'Cheltenhams', more 'Brentfords' to come, and i'm dreading December the 11th!.

Feb 29, 2008
X Isle":1c9ipbpd said:
Paul_Roberts":1c9ipbpd said:

Adam Barrett, a stalwart L1 captain, regular scorer and PFA X1 for the last decade is no better than calamity N'Gala or can't mark for toffee Johnson?.
Paul Macgregor is no better than this seasons preferred first pick Rory Patterson?.
It's all a matter of opinion I guess but mine happens to be that I certainly don't believe as a squad we're a country mile better than we were 10 years ago. We've not dropped to league 2 (yet?) but it's not as if the comparison is as ridiculous as it looked 2-3 years ago is it. I worry that with what we've got we have more 'Cheltenhams', more 'Brentfords' to come, and i'm dreading December the 11th!.

If you were at that game you would have to agree, it was truly shocking, the only good thing is that must have been when we more or less bottomed out, lets hope the same is true now.

Jan 4, 2009
Plymouth
I disagree abot Macgregor he was a good player but just did not look interested all the time but he would definately improve the forward line we have at the moment.

L

Laughter My Ploy

Greenskin":2fksmmxv said:
Never to be forgotten,that one.Probably sealed Hodges fate,although i think he hung on for a little while longer.Actually,on paper,that was not a terrible side but on grass it was a different matter.Didn't realise Leadbitter was still here then-must have been one of the first victims of the Sturrock revolution,i suppose.

I fairly sure he hung on until after a truly shocking Tuesday night away game at Brighton

I remember we lost 2-0 but the thing that really sticks in my mind was the Argyle supporter* who on leaving the ground early threw his Argyle scarf on the ground in digust and proceeded to walk away. He must have got a couple hundred yards down the road and promptly turned and ran back to retrieve it and hung it round his neck again.

It always reminds be that its never easy to give up on your football club and makes me mile even today.

Anyway Brighton went on to win the league but they clitched promotion at Home Park . Was very galling seeing them celebrate and wondering if we would ever be as good as them.

* I'm pretty sure that supporter was the guy who posts as councillor on here

P

Paul_Roberts

X Isle":1323068d said:
Paul_Roberts":1323068d said:

It's an interesting debate, X Isle.

I suppose Hodges' mob have got the disadvantage of being judged in hindsight (and hindsight that includes the glorious Paul Sturrock era). If Reid has a total clearout next summer and leads us back into the Championship, then perhaps our current batch of players will also be tarred with the dirty brush of history.

Until then, I'd say it's difficult to be open-minded when we're comparing a distant batch of had-beens with a group of players we still pay to watch.

Sep 18, 2009
Johnny Paradise":26tf4asx said:
Remember all the names apart from Paul Mardon. Fleming was spectacularly bad if I remember rightly? :lol:

McGregor though :grin:

I seem to remember Mardon scored one of our goals that day. Was this Hodges's last match before the sack?