Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
John_Vaughan":2327k0m3 said:
My favourite Argyle side. I know things didn't quite work out but what would I give for a side like that now?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-6hHPuWaE

Who knows? One day........

Mine too John although I also loved Dave Smith's promotion side too. Someone posted that link a couple weeks ago and it had the effect of thoroughly depressing me!!! Can't bear to watch it again! :cry:

A

Aylesbury Green

If only we had Steve Castle and Paul Dalton in our team now, we were quality

Dec 3, 2005
mmmm mouth watering stuff, i didn't see much of that team :( due to the RAF.

What a joy to see FOOTBALL being played, who is the number 7 is that Dalton ;)

Steve McCall was a magic player.

Jul 29, 2010
Happy days, even Shilton knew where to look, how many were signed from the reserve teams of premiership clubs :wink:.

Jul 20, 2006
Plymouth
djg145":2fmwyb5o said:
mmmm mouth watering stuff, i didn't see much of that team :( due to the RAF.

What a joy to see FOOTBALL being played, who is the number 7 is that Dalton ;)

Steve McCall was a magic player.

Number 7 would have been either Craig Skinner or Wayne Burnett from watching those goals. Dalton was 11 from memory, this was before the days of squad numbers of course!

G

Greenskin

X Isle":2fqajndm said:
Happy days, even Shilton knew where to look, how many were signed from the reserve teams of premiership clubs :wink:.

True.But then,where were Gilbert,Capaldi,Stonebridge and Norris signed from,albeit on a permanent,rather than loan basis? I'm sure you'll agree those players played an important part in actually winning somethng in 2003/4,rather than than being glorious failures,then inglorious failures in the following season,a la the Shilton team.I realise you may be posting in a somewhat tongue in cheek style judging by the wink,but just to finish off,i would think that Shilts had considerably more money with which to assemble that team than has been allocated to Mr Reid,maybe its a case of shopping where the budget dictates.

Jul 20, 2006
Plymouth
Greenskin":2l7826ho said:
X Isle":2l7826ho said:

True.But then,where were Gilbert,Capaldi,Stonebridge and Norris signed from,albeit on a permanent,rather than loan basis? I'm sure you'll agree those players played an important part in actually winning somethng in 2003/4,rather than than being glorious failures,then inglorious failures in the following season,a la the Shilton team.I realise you may be posting in a somewhat tongue in cheek style judging by the wink,but just to finish off,i would think that Shilts had considerably more money with which to assemble that team than has been allocated to Mr Reid,maybe its a case of shopping where the budget dictates.

But surely what that team demonstrates is that you don't need to go rummaging through Premier League reserves to find decent players.

Steve Castle came to us from Leyton Orient, Paul Dalton from Hartlepool, Gary Poole from Barnet, Dwight Marshall from Grays Athletic, I forget where Kevin Nugent came from, but i'm sure it was no-one special! (was it Leyton Orient as well??)

All lower league players who when put together became a TEAM. In my 25 years of following Argyle, no team sticks in my memory like that one! I just about remember the Dave Smith team, I was at the 4-0 thrashing of Bristol City :), but the Shilton team was like watching Arsenal of today. Pure footballing magic and I believe that the "nearly" season saw us as the leagues top goalscorers with 88 goals. I could be wrong......hang on, where's GOS :)

G

Greenskin

kevster":1n7vyl70 said:
Greenskin":1n7vyl70 said:
X Isle":1n7vyl70 said:

But surely what that team demonstrates is that you don't need to go rummaging through Premier League reserves to find decent players.

Steve Castle came to us from Leyton Orient, Paul Dalton from Hartlepool, Gary Poole from Barnet, Dwight Marshall from Grays Athletic, I forget where Kevin Nugent came from, but i'm sure it was no-one special! (was it Leyton Orient as well??)

All lower league players who when put together became a TEAM. In my 25 years of following Argyle, no team sticks in my memory like that one! I just about remember the Dave Smith team, I was at the 4-0 thrashing of Bristol City :), but the Shilton team was like watching Arsenal of today. Pure footballing magic and I believe that the "nearly" season saw us as the leagues top goalscorers with 88 goals. I could be wrong......hang on, where's GOS :)

Simple question.Do you think that Reid could afford to pay for players like Nugent,Dalton,Marshall etc under the present financila climate?

Jul 29, 2010
kevster":2o2avr63 said:
Greenskin":2o2avr63 said:
X Isle":2o2avr63 said:

Nugent was Orient too Kev.
Greenskin. My beef with the current premiership loanee reliance is that they are no better than what we've got and don't have the hunger, ifthey mess up their parent clubs will just loan them elsewhere. Capaldi, Norris, Gilbert et al became OUR players and thus had to roll their sleeves up and pitch in with the squad. Your joust therefore doesn't hit my shield i'm afraid.
There is quality a plenty in the lower leagues for them that want to see it, I don't believe Peter Reid can.
Just watch the clips from that side and tell me if you feel your Dean Parretts, your Alan Judge's, Shame Lowry's, James Chesters, Cathcart's, Gray's, Lee Martin's, Lucas Jukebox, Cillian Sheridans could even have produced that sort of play, passion and desire to go with their fledgling ability. They've got all the gear but no idea. Only Scott Sinclair came here with the right attitude, he didn't play like he was on loan.
He needs to start looking at Orient again, at Barnet, Grays Athletic, Hartlepool etc. because that's where we'll find salvation, only prostitution lies the way of reliance on EPL reserves. We provide the venue and personnel for their indiscretions, they then return to their real partners having got it out of their system.

Jul 20, 2006
Plymouth
Greenskin":yftkcf8y said:
kevster":yftkcf8y said:
Greenskin":yftkcf8y said:
X Isle":yftkcf8y said:

Simple question.Do you think that Reid could afford to pay for players like Nugent,Dalton,Marshall etc under the present financila climate?

No probably not, but I also think that we "did a Chelsea" in those days and just payed whatever it took to get the players to the club. I mean those 4 players alone probably cost in the region of a million quid, which 17 years ago was a lot of money weren't it!!

My point was based more around the fact that if you scout properly lower league teams have players capable of playing as a team, whereas I always feel that Premier League reserves are bought in to be match winning individuals, ala Scott Sinclair, Paul Gallagher and now perhaps Dean Parrett.