Shilton interview on Radio 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Shilton interview on Radio 2

May 22, 2006
Peter_dout":2eyzsd04 said:
Shilton though, what depths do you think he'll plumb next. My money is on "I'm a celebrity" :lol:

So is most of his I expect :roll:

H

home@homepark

Sorry he wont be the last to try and plug any commerical deals which may have a spin off to which he can benefit, dont see the problem really.

P

Paul_Roberts

I do feel sorry for Shilts. One of the greatest goalkeepers ever to have lived, England's record caps holder, European Cup winner, League title winner...

... and yet he's become a laughing stock due to his 'money problems' and possessing the emotional intelligence of a newt.

Any other player with 125 caps and such a glittering array of honours would be afforded legend status and treated with reverence wherever they went.
I suspect that one day, Shilts will look back on his life and wonder where it all went wrong.

G

Gareth Nicholson

I don't see the fuss in this. It's the job of PR people to get their brand out there by any means necessary. They bung Shilts some coinage because he's on Strictly and so can guarantee decent coverage on a mass media outlet. His job is to push what they're paying him for and the Beeb's job is to stop in happening.

I'm less annoyed with people trying to shoehorn a plug into a more transient form of media like the radio than I am with the reams of paper devoted to vapid comments by footballers and Kevin Pietersen underscored with 'so and so was speaking at an event launched by niftyngroovy industries limited at the launch of their new chokeyflakes breakfast cereal.'

Feb 29, 2008
Gareth Nicholson":30w5fpeu said:
I don't see the fuss in this. It's the job of PR people to get their brand out there by any means necessary. They bung Shilts some coinage because he's on Strictly and so can guarantee decent coverage on a mass media outlet. His job is to push what they're paying him for and the Beeb's job is to stop in happening.

I'm less annoyed with people trying to shoehorn a plug into a more transient form of media like the radio than I am with the reams of paper devoted to vapid comments by footballers and Kevin Pietersen underscored with 'so and so was speaking at an event launched by niftyngroovy industries limited at the launch of their new chokeyflakes breakfast cereal.'

Have to say I agree with you here, and anyway what is the difference between this and say Robbie Williams plugging his new album?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
John_Lloyd":1vxkvnt8 said:
I remember being about 11 when he was caught in the back of someone's car with a woman he shouldn't have been with by her husband.

Even then, he was cutting an embarrassing figure off the field.

Yes, I recall that too. They had used a racecourse car park in the East Midlands, I do believe. I think the police said he had not quite got out of the starting stalls!

A

Anonymous

I've always though that if the no pass back rule had been in play 20 years earlier, he wouldn't have won a single cap.

Anyone remember his 'display' in the Devon Bowl final at Plainmoor?

My God, he had a foot like a 50p piece!! :)

Still managed THE best side I've ever seem in a green shirt.

3-0 v Wrexham at the Racecourse. Purrrrrrrr. :nworthy:

J

jasper

My abiding memory was his speech at the PASALB xmas party after we had just lost 7-0 to Brentford, he related to a packed pub, including the very young Argyle players, how he once let in 7 at Goodison while playing for Southampton, and after that game he vowed it would never happen to him again

cue silence and tumbleweed

I think we were 6-0 down when he brought on his 16 year old son - thanks dad

Quintrell_Green":4b1o6807 said:
John_Lloyd":4b1o6807 said:
I remember being about 11 when he was caught in the back of someone's car with a woman he shouldn't have been with by her husband.

Yes, I recall that too. They had used a racecourse car park in the East Midlands, I do believe. I think the police said he had not quite got out of the starting stalls!

A

Alan Fortune

John_Lloyd":3m4zu7u9 said:

The day after that 'embarrassing' incident I watched Forest play Arsenal at Highbury. It was a pretty dull game - as most games involving the Arse were in those days - and was heading towards a 0-0. Shilton, in front of the North Bank - had been regaled with 'Peter Shilton, Peter Shilton, does your missus know you're here' incessantly throughout the second half. It finally got to him. He let a dribbler from Graham Rix under his body in the last minute to complete a miserable week for him and give the fans the usual '1-0 to the Aaarsenal' .

T

t._green

I'm also a bit puritanical towards the BBC. I believe in it passionately and think it is the best in the World at what it does but think it should be kept utterly pure, I suppose 'Reithian' is the adjective I'm looking for![/quote]

Don't get me started :twisted:

Jul 29, 2010
argyleiggy":2y044dbd said:
Gareth Nicholson":2y044dbd said:

Have to say I agree with you here, and anyway what is the difference between this and say Robbie Williams plugging his new album?

Or items in the main national news from the red carpet of 'Avatar/Mission/Harry/Bourne/Inception/3D'and interviews with it's star actor - WTF has that got to do with the days news?.
And long gone are the days when a guest on a chat show, just came along for a chat!.
Everyone is selling something and whilst i'd love it to all to just go away I don't see how the BBC can apologise for something happening unwittingly that they blatantly encourage in other programmes.
Yours,
Helena Handcart.

Apr 15, 2008
London
Quintrell_Green":1tobjv7z said:
John_Lloyd":1tobjv7z said:

He always was a trailblazer. Someone should update his Wikipedia page to note that he invented dogging.

A

Anonymous

I had dealings with him a few years ago, the end result came down to money. See ya.

But he and McGovern produced the best Argyle team I've ever seen, absolutely brilliant.

Flawed genius or hopeless gambler?