Derek Ufton | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Derek Ufton

G

Greenskin

Nice to see him back at HP today.He was manager at Argyle when i first started going,can't say he was the most successful but his hands were probably pretty much tied when it came to player incomings and outgoings.From what i remember he seemed a very decent bloke and i think he was very popular at Home Park,he certainly said some nice things about his time here when speaking today.Good cricketer too,wicket keeper batsman for Kent,i believe.

A

Anonymous

He seemed to have shrunk from what I remembered him.

He was the Manager when I started going, did you know that he was involved in a TV advert?

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
He had to sell all our best players and replaced them players at the end of their careers who only lasted a few games due to injury. Funnily enough Argyle had serious money problems at the time! Some things don't change.

G

Greenskin

IJN":992vt5lq said:

He was the Manager when I started going, did you know that he was involved in a TV advert?

Rings a bell that,not sure what the advert was though.I suppose he must be well into his seventies [if not eighties] now,he was sacked in 1968,42 years ago!.Jeez,how time flies,probably his best moment down here came when we beat Millwall to end their run of 59 home games without defeat.My dad took me to that one,i was only 7 and haven't bricked myself so much either before or since!Never heard noise like the crowd made when they were pressing for the equaliser,either.Lots of trouble,bottles thrown,coaches getting windows smashed,assaults on directors etc,they didn't like it up'em!. Derek guided us through that one though,fantastic day in the end. I think he's still a director at Charlton,so he must keep himself pretty active still,good to see.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Derek Ufton is 82 years old..he used to be a male model back in the sixties I believe...gents clothing

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
IJN":3s7wgbig said:

he was the manager when i started going also. we were relegated that season by the way :) . the tv "advert" was a road safety thing about getting tired at the wheel and taking a rest. something like that

N

nigelnoneck

He signed Alan`s Peacock and Sealy and Mike Harrison in a bid to avoid Relegation. All three injury proned,and ithink A.P. lasted 2 matches.

C

Charlie Wood

Crikey, only 82. That means he must have been under 40 when we used to scrump apples out of his back garden in Dunstone Road...I thought he was ancient then!!

Sep 18, 2009
nigelnoneck":2osf21ji said:
He signed Alan`s Peacock and Sealy and Mike Harrison in a bid to avoid Relegation. All three injury proned,and ithink A.P. lasted 2 matches.

Alan Sealey scored both West Ham's goals when they won the Cup Winner's Cup, when he came to us he was fat and had lost his bottle having broken his leg. Not a great signing by Mr Ufton

harry's sandwich":jqawg5ou said:
IJN":jqawg5ou said:

Wasn't he Big Fry?

No that was the guy who went on to be the most forgettable James Bond, funnily I have forgotten his name :lol: but the film was On Her Majesties Secret Service.

They did look quite similar though.

I remember his tenure at Home Park vividly, on a hiding to nothing after Big Mal. As a youngster I hated him for all the asset stripping that took place, eventually leading to relegation, I'll never forget the hurt at the time, it was my first which came after a period of such promise, not a lot changes does it :(

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
My second Argyle manager and a real gentleman. I remember Peacock's debut when he smashed a left foot volley against the bar from the edge of the box at the Barn Park end. That was the last I remember of Peacock, I think he was injured in his next game and never played again.

Moleman

✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2006
Plymouth
Cumbrian Green":3ox3mht1 said:
harry's sandwich":3ox3mht1 said:
IJN":3ox3mht1 said:

Wasn't he Big Fry?

No that was the guy who went on to be the most forgettable James Bond, funnily I have forgotten his name :lol: but the film was On Her Majesties Secret Service.

They did look quite similar though.

I remember his tenure at Home Park vividly, on a hiding to nothing after Big Mal. As a youngster I hated him for all the asset stripping that took place, eventually leading to relegation, I'll never forget the hurt at the time, it was my first which came after a period of such promise, not a lot changes does it :(

That'll be George Lazenby who could have made the part his own if he hadn't gone all Billy Big Time after that film. Sean Connery returned for Diamonds are Forever and then quit. Enter the raising eyebrow himself (Roger Moore) for the next 7 films.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Greenskin":3edlurf6 said:
IJN":3edlurf6 said:

Rings a bell that,not sure what the advert was though.I suppose he must be well into his seventies [if not eighties] now,he was sacked in 1968,42 years ago!.Jeez,how time flies,probably his best moment down here came when we beat Millwall to end their run of 59 home games without defeat.My dad took me to that one,i was only 7 and haven't bricked myself so much either before or since!Never heard noise like the crowd made when they were pressing for the equaliser,either.Lots of trouble,bottles thrown,coaches getting windows smashed,assaults on directors etc,they didn't like it up'em!. Derek guided us through that one though,fantastic day in the end. I think he's still a director at Charlton,so he must keep himself pretty active still,good to see.

Considering the reputation of Millwall supporters at THe Den back then, and the Cold Blow End in particular, there might have been a case to report your Dad to the NSPCC. I am glad you got away unscathed!

B

bandwagon

Quintrell_Green":2ptuztyg said:
Greenskin":2ptuztyg said:
IJN":2ptuztyg said:

Considering the reputation of Millwall supporters at THe Den back then, and the Cold Blow End in particular, there might have been a case to report your Dad to the NSPCC. I am glad you got away unscathed!

My uncle went to the Millwall game - old retired gent now but said it was horrific up there!! I've also been to the old Den, saw them play Sunderland - went on one of those weekend trips on the coach for shopping and while virtually everyone else went to Chelsea v Leeds I headed across London on my own!! Stood in the Cold Blow Lane end - mouth zipped!!