Worst mob ever at Home Park!! | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Worst mob ever at Home Park!!

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Sorry if this subject is politically incorrect, but whats the biggest ugliest mob ever to visit Home park? I keep reading about May 83 when Pompey descended with something like 9,000 fans? My DAD took me to local side Bournemouth that year when they took a similar amount to Dean Court and drove the home fans out of the seats and took over every end - it was terrifying, but actually quite impressive at the same time for an impressional 13 year old ! Is this the biggest away following ever at Argyle?? :grin:

Apr 15, 2008
London
Bezza":fvl5bhny said:
Sorry if this subject is politically incorrect, but whats the biggest ugliest mob ever to visit Home park? I keep reading about May 83 when Pompey descended with something like 9,000 fans? My DAD took me to local side Bournemouth that year when they took a similar amount to Dean Court and drove the home fans out of the seats and took over every end - it was terrifying, but actually quite impressive at the same time for an impressional 13 year old ! Is this the biggest away following ever at Argyle?? :grin:

:lol: I think you're getting 'political incorrectness' mixed up with harmless generalising

You're right, Pompey were always a very ugly lot.

Nov 27, 2009
Plymouth.
Been going since 1986 when i moved here from Gosport and although i was no Pompey fan i went to Fratton Park a lot growing up. During the late 1970s and early 80's Pompey were a real handful.

Chelsea and Millwall temporarily took the Fratton End because they got in there early but both were thrown out as the 6.57 lot arrived to do their stuff.

Dodgy old days.

I must have missed anything similar at HP since 86 which is good because who needs it.

Aug 10, 2006
Bodmin Tew":3i78p4im said:
Pompey for me on that day. Also the Leeds mob that came down after we got promoted in 86/87 were pretty scary.

500 blood stained Yorkshire boys after scuffles down Union St walking down towards the Lyndhurst chanting "We are Evil"
was that the same day they got done in the two trees.

Aug 10, 2006
SCH1959":2cks9kjr said:
Been going since 1986 when i moved here from Gosport and although i was no Pompey fan i went to Fratton Park a lot growing up. During the late 1970s and early 80's Pompey were a real handful.

Chelsea and Millwall temporarily took the Fratton End because they got in there early but both were thrown out as the 6.57 lot arrived to do their stuff.

Dodgy old days.

I must have missed anything similar at HP since 86 which is good because who needs it.
so were argyle in the 70s.

Jul 17, 2008
Calstock
In the 60's I recall a Yorkshire mob taking over the Devonport End for the whole match. I think it was Huddersfield but not sure (certainly not Leeds). All of them were over six foot, with scars, big boots, muscles and no brains.

But talking of Leeds, bless 'em..... I actually stopped going to any matches for a few years around the late 70's due to their fans. I was living in the Midlands at the time. I went to watch Coventry at home to Leeds. Coventry being the first all-seater stadium designed to do away with crowd trouble! :eek: Within 5 - 10 mins of kick-off the Leeds supporters were throwing missiles. This was not in response to anything on the pitch - they had clearly gone prepared because they must have used spanners to unbolt the heavy wooden seats and not only were throwing the heavy bolts but also the seats through the air onto the crowd in front of them. That nobody was seriously hurt was down to luck!!!! Live football was not worth dying for so I stopped going. It was incidents like that which enabled Thatcher to put pressure on clubs to clean up their act. Loss of atmosphere maybe but a safer environment certainly.

Sep 16, 2009
The worst mob I've ever seen at Home Park was Chelsea around 1975. I remember being in the Demport End about an hour before kick off and there was a crowd of 20 - 30 Chelsea fans being evicted by the police from the Lyndhurst Road end, which was where the away fans were kept at that time. As they passed the fence that seperated the Demport End and Lyndhurst side the Argyle fans ran forward to take the p1ss out of them and suddenly 40 or 50 Chelse fans ran into the Demport End from the rear entrance and started to batter any Argyle fan in front of them. It was so well organised that it caused complete panic and mayhem amongst the Green Army. The police didn't have a clue and ran into the melee with truncheons waving, clattering whoever was in front of them, adding to the confusion.

Me? I was a skinny 15 year old with no bottle and I promptly pood myself. Then and I leapt over the front fence onto the pitch to be met by a steward who told me I couldn't come onto the pitch and he tried to push me back into the Demport End. Nob!! There were hundreds of us on the hallowed turf.
To this day, I cannot understand how the police didn't spot 40 or 50 Chelsea fans congregating behind the Demport End.

Years later I was talking to a Chelsea fan from that era and he admitted thatit was a regular tactic, especially at away games. One group of fans would cause a disturbance at the front and another group would rush the opposing fans from behind and feed off the panic.

Happy days. Does anybody else remember this? :shock: :?

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
I was at Dean Court in 1990 when leeds devastated the town in the infamous top v bottom clash. It was a horrible atmopshere and Im just glad Leeds won.

I read in a book somewhere about a huge rucus when Argyle played Everton in the FA Cup in 1975 - 38,000 present and apparently the Evertonians came off second best.

Recalling these bad old days does at least show that going to football is generally much safer these days thank goodness! :grin:

Aug 24, 2009
Ironman":1uqmpxyj said:
The worst mob I've ever seen at Home Park was Chelsea around 1975. I remember being in the Demport End about an hour before kick off and there was a crowd of 20 - 30 Chelsea fans being evicted by the police from the Lyndhurst Road end, which was where the away fans were kept at that time. As they passed the fence that seperated the Demport End and Lyndhurst side the Argyle fans ran forward to take the p1ss out of them and suddenly 40 or 50 Chelse fans ran into the Demport End from the rear entrance and started to batter any Argyle fan in front of them. It was so well organised that it caused complete panic and mayhem amongst the Green Army. The police didn't have a clue and ran into the melee with truncheons waving, clattering whoever was in front of them, adding to the confusion.

Me? I was a skinny 15 year old with no bottle and I promptly pood myself. Then and I leapt over the front fence onto the pitch to be met by a steward who told me I couldn't come onto the pitch and he tried to push me back into the Demport End. Nob!! There were hundreds of us on the hallowed turf.
To this day, I cannot understand how the police didn't spot 40 or 50 Chelsea fans congregating behind the Demport End.

Years later I was talking to a Chelsea fan from that era and he admitted thatit was a regular tactic, especially at away games. One group of fans would cause a disturbance at the front and another group would rush the opposing fans from behind and feed off the panic.

Happy days. Does anybody else remember this? :shock: :?

i was there about 6 year old with my brother ,ended up on the pitch ,remember it just as you described it ,few argyle stood an had a go back from what i remember

B

bandwagon

gosisapilgrim":rj3atedq said:
Not that we'll ever play at this level but imagine if this lot turned up! our stewards would deal with them no problem :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA456bblEXo

Went to the Milan Derby last season - got a last minute ticket outside for the away end, Inter!! Man what an experience, on 2nd tier with the loons - an incredible ground and mad fans!! Forza Inter!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

A

Anonymous

Might be spaghetti tomorrow, just for you. :)

See you at 1245hrs.

:)