Best Mickey Evans goal for Argyle | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Best Mickey Evans goal for Argyle

I'll go first, the indirect freekick he hit against the keeper against Swindon. Not sure if this is technically an own goal though as it was an indirect freekick but was goal bound and took a deflection!

It showed quick thinking for goal!

B

Buddy & Muff

His best goal for me has to be when he put us 1-0 up against QPR. Iv'e never seen HP go that mental. Happy days. :grin:

G

Greenskin

30 yard volley at Coventry in our first season back in the CCC.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
There was one he scored early on his career. He had been pretty rubbish really for a few years; a typical Argyle youngster struggling to break through into the first team. Then, all of a sudden, under Neil Warnock as manager he got a run in the team and started to score. The goal I am thinking of was at Home Park; Argyle were kicking towards the Devonport Endl there was a long ball played into an almost empty opposition half and Evans ran on to the ball and thumped it home from well outside the penalty area. It was the emphatic nature of the strike that I liked at the time - it was a statement of intent from a young player who had found his feet. I can't remember the opposition and I'm just hoping I've not muddled up the timing (someone will probably correct me and tell me it was scored earlier on in his career when he was still pretty rubbish!).

G

Greenskin

The Doctor":e9gc3kqv said:
There was one he scored early on his career. He had been pretty rubbish really for a few years; a typical Argyle youngster struggling to break through into the first team. Then, all of a sudden, under Neil Warnock as manager he got a run in the team and started to score. The goal I am thinking of was at Home Park; Argyle were kicking towards the Devonport Endl there was a long ball played into an almost empty opposition half and Evans ran on to the ball and thumped it home from well outside the penalty area. It was the emphatic nature of the strike that I liked at the time - it was a statement of intent from a young player who had found his feet. I can't remember the opposition and I'm just hoping I've not muddled up the timing (someone will probably correct me and tell me it was scored earlier on in his career when he was still pretty rubbish!).

Sounds like the one he scored against Colchester in the second leg of the play off in 1995/96.Trigger did possess a fair turn of speed in his younger days,i think it was a goal kick from Cherry which was flicked on and he left the defence for dead before crashing the ball home.Could be the one you're thinking of.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Greenskin":15a7hb7y said:
The Doctor":15a7hb7y said:

Sounds like the one he scored against Colchester in the second leg of the play off in 1995/96.Trigger did possess a fair turn of speed in his younger days,i think it was a goal kick from Cherry which was flicked on and he left the defence for dead before crashing the ball home.Could be the one you're thinking of.

No, not that one. I completely remember that one. It was earlier that season I think and a Saturday afternoon game. It wasn't dark. I've just been looking at the GreensOnScreen database - obvious candidate matches from the 1995/96 season include: v Orient (1-1), v Doncaster (3-1), v Lincoln (1-0), v Rochdale (2-0) - all games at Home Park that Evans scored in. Unless I am imagining it all... I'm starting towonder whether it might have been the following season.

H

HuddyTheGreen

The Doctor":3l555ss0 said:
Greenskin":3l555ss0 said:
The Doctor":3l555ss0 said:

No, not that one. I completely remember that one. It was earlier that season I think and a Saturday afternoon game. It wasn't dark. I've just been looking at the GreensOnScreen database - obvious candidate matches from the 1995/96 season include: v Orient (1-1), v Doncaster (3-1), v Lincoln (1-0), v Rochdale (2-0) - all games at Home Park that Evans scored in. Unless I am imagining it all... I'm starting towonder whether it might have been the following season.

Doc, have a look at this clip it's about 30 seconds in, that the one your thinking of?

linky

Jul 13, 2009
LISKEARD
Lewdownlee":37vzjed4 said:
I'll go first, the indirect freekick he hit against the keeper against Swindon. Not sure if this is technically an own goal though as it was an indirect freekick but was goal bound and took a deflection!

It showed quick thinking for goal!

:iagree:

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
HuddyTheGreen":1lcs4yd4 said:
The Doctor":1lcs4yd4 said:
Greenskin":1lcs4yd4 said:
The Doctor":1lcs4yd4 said:

Doc, have a look at this clip it's about 30 seconds in, that the one your thinking of?

linky

Yes - I think that's the one. It was the confidence with which he ran through and tucked it away that impressed me at the time. It was a statement that he had "arrived". Given that the opposition were in blue I guess it was the Rochdale game.

A

Anonymous

Greenskin":hzpx3hjv said:

What a corker that was. It certainly made Highfield Road go quiet for a while. :)

My fave was his early goal in the Colchester United play off game. That's my favourite game EVER for me.

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
IJN":1wuyxxwu said:
Greenskin":1wuyxxwu said:

What a corker that was. It certainly made Highfield Road go quiet for a while. :)

My fave was his early goal in the Colchester United play off game. That's my favourite game EVER for me.

Great goal, I was living near Coventry at the time, and went some Cov City supporting friends.
Got a fantastic view from the Britannia Tyres stand, of not only the goal but about 2k Argyle fans erupting :)

G

Greenskin

Pafcintheplace":l2munsy9 said:
IJN":l2munsy9 said:
Greenskin":l2munsy9 said:

Great goal, I was living near Coventry at the time, and went some Cov City supporting friends.
Got a fantastic view from the Britannia Tyres stand, of not only the goal but about 2k Argyle fans erupting :)

I think Peter Reid would have been Coventry manager at that time.Wonder if the huge following for Argyle that day made an impression on him?

J

James_Dennis

The Doctor":1xc4kumn said:
HuddyTheGreen":1xc4kumn said:
Greenskin":1xc4kumn said:

linky

Yes - I think that's the one. It was the confidence with which he ran through and tucked it away that impressed me at the time. It was a statement that he had "arrived". Given that the opposition were in blue I guess it was the Rochdale game.

I was at that Rochdale game, from what I remember it was a bit soft from their point of view.

I agree with the comments about the Colchester game - that was such a relief! I'd had a headache all day with the tension! For sheer drama, that was probably my all-time favourite game.

The goal he scored at Chesterfield in 1997, aka The Battle of Saltergate, was pretty good too. He lobbed the goalkeeper from quite a way out. Mark Saunders then scored an emphatic volley to put us 2-0, when we were down to 10 men after a menacing tackle from Ronnie Mauge. Of course, we finished the game with significantly few players...

B

BFG

The first year I was allowed to do away games we managed promotion and I will always remember a cracker Trigger scored at Bury when he lobbed the keeper from 35/40 yards out. That season we had a nightmare start with this game starting us off on a good run. His last goal that season was quite special too.