The CiderMan promotion season..1985-1986 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The CiderMan promotion season..1985-1986

O

oggyale

What a season that was for sure.

We won 26,lost 11 and drew 9 in the League Division Three campaign. Scoring 88,and conceding 53. Total points was 87.

Kevin Hodges was the leading goalscorer (16).

Tommy Tynan came back for the final nine games and scored nine goals.

Argyle lost just once in the final 16 games,and that was against Wigan Athletic away,i was there and we must have had 2000+ there for sure,possibly more.

Biggest crowd was for the visit of Bristol City,the night we got promoted - 24,888,but many have said it was over 30,000.

The trip to Darlington was like one giant party.

Ah,what a season,what memories..... :grin:

May 3, 2009
perlymuff
My first season supporting the Greens. I was 9/10.
Great times, feel sorry for any youngsters watching this rubbish as their first season!!

A fantastic season, missed just 2 home games all season. The Bristol City game was probably my favourite Argyle match ever, a brilliant performance when it mattered most. The official attendance for years was 19900 but it felt like much more. I stood on the Lyndhurst but managed to clamber onto the pitch over that huge maybe 8-foot fence, couldn't manage that today even if it was still there!

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
The promotion season that changed my life.
When the season started i was doing my first year of A levels.
When the season finished i had decided that studying was not for me and I needed to get out there to earn some money to follow the greens around the country in Division 2.
Sad really i suppose.
But at the time the club meant that much to me.
I think in times like we are currently going through it's maybe good to look back and personally reflect and remember why we got into the green army in the first place.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
LG":1hm1zco9 said:
I think in times like we are currently going through it's maybe good to look back and personally reflect and remember why we got into the green army in the first place.

Now that could be a very revealing question LG :)

So, I'll skip it for now.

Feb 23, 2008
kingsy
oggyale":3bggqfhj said:

We won 26,lost 11 and drew 9 in the League Division Three campaign. Scoring 88,and conceding 53. Total points was 87.

Argyle lost just once in the final 16 games,and that was against Wigan Athletic away,i was there and we must have had 2000+ there for sure,possibly more.

Biggest crowd was for the visit of Bristol City,the night we got promoted - 24,888,but many have said it was over 30,000.

Will never forget that trip to Darlington in a coach aged 14 .........Got too the ground pretty early and was moved to a home stand as there was so many off us ..... The thought of this old wooden stand colapsing due to the ammount of argyle fans there that day will always live with me ............. didnt we win 2-0

Apr 21, 2005
Plympton
Dave Smith's Promotion Diary presented by Harley Lawer...

That book has been out more than once recently to remind me of better times.

As far as the Darlington game goes Dave Smith said: "And without our great support of fans at away games, we wouldn't have done it. We had another marvellous following here today. Must publicly thank them on behalf of players personally and in the media." - Great man!

The gate for the Bristol City game is also quoted at 19,900 in the book, but it did feel like their were many more to me at the time.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
greenmarc":tfb5rex4 said:
oggyale":tfb5rex4 said:

Will never forget that trip to Darlington in a coach aged 14 .........Got too the ground pretty early and was moved to a home stand as there was so many off us ..... The thought of this old wooden stand colapsing due to the ammount of argyle fans there that day will always live with me ............. didnt we win 2-0
Was stood at the front of that wooden grandstand with the rest of my mates.
(Think we were on travel club coach 22 or something like that.)
When everyone was stamping their feet and making a right old racket it did seem like the stand was going to collapse.
Of course being young, free and careless, we were just laughing our heads off and joining in :lol:

Apr 21, 2005
Plympton
DSCF0201.jpg

DSCF0206.jpg

DSCF0205.jpg

DSCF0207.jpg

DSCF0209.jpg

Photos of the pics of the Bristol City game from the book. If you look at the background you can see that HP was somewhat crowded! Sorry, can't get the book in the scanner without damaging it so not the best quality.

R

RWW

I remember that there were about 50 Bristol City fans in the away end which must have held 3000 at least...and yet the attendance was the exact mirror of the capacity!

The gate was at least 30 000. I was 10 or 11 and was in the Mayflower and for large parts of the game my feet were not touching the floor it was that tight.

I can still remember Tommy's flying header in front of the Devonport End.........

Happy days...........