The Penalty Taking Drunken Sailor | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

The Penalty Taking Drunken Sailor

Jun 2, 2010
Plymouth or Pacific
I recently saw an article about the period when sailors wore uniform when ashore and around the town.

It reminded me of the Penalty Taking Drunken Sailor. For the benefit of younger supporters this guy used to come over the railings at the Devonport End during half time, in uniform, place his hat on the penalty spot and boot it into the net sometimes requiring a second hoof on the way.

This brought huge applause from people at that end of the ground. The Naval Shore Patrol would then grab him and lead him away to a mixture of "leave him alone" and cheers.
He would then disappear for a while, presumably having his leave stopped, and then return and the whole saga was repeated.

I often wondered whether he got past "able rate".

Does any one else remember this guy? I think it was around 1958.

Jul 17, 2008
Calstock
Those were the days when the MPs would help control the crowd!

Funny, I was telling my daughter recently that you regularly saw sailors - from all nationalities - around the centre wearing their uniforms. You often also saw one of the service's marching bands before the match & at half-time. It was always "amusing" to see the players waiting for them to get off the pitch so they could get on with the game!