Argyle vs Brighton | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Argyle vs Brighton

M

MidtownRules

After everything the Brighton fans are doing for us it got me thinking about past games against them that I can remember.
The one that instantly springs to mind is the 3-3 draw at home, towards the start of our divison 2 winning season. A young Paul Connolly scored a pearler of an own goal from forty yards out right in front of the Devonport. He lobbed Romain perferctly. Coughlan scored but Brighton went 3-1 up. A brilliant finish to the game saw a spirited Argyle score two goals, through Friio and Stoney to draw level. There was still enough time at the death for Lee Hodges (the best one) to run a full 80 yards and smack a left footed effort off the base of the left upright.
A fantastic game which summed up the spirit and never say die attitude of the squad at that time.
Who got Brighton's goals? Leon Knight maybe? Or was this before his spell with you? (Brighton fans)

The second game was a televised away game during Bobby Williamson's tenure. I don't remember this as clearly, I think many pre-match drinks were consumed. I think we lost 2-0? Wasn't it the last game for Bobby? Or at least one of them.

Anyone have any other fond or not so fond memories of meeting between the two sides?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
MidtownRules":ye6aqbei said:
After everything the Brighton fans are doing for us it got me thinking about past games against them that I can remember.
The one that instantly springs to mind is the 3-3 draw at home, towards the start of our divison 2 winning season. A young Paul Connolly scored a pearler of an own goal from forty yards out right in front of the Devonport. He lobbed Romain perferctly. Coughlan scored but Brighton went 3-1 up. A brilliant finish to the game saw a spirited Argyle score two goals, through Friio and Stoney to draw level. There was still enough time at the death for Lee Hodges (the best one) to run a full 80 yards and smack a left footed effort off the base of the left upright.
A fantastic game which summed up the spirit and never say die attitude of the squad at that time.
Who got Brighton's goals? Leon Knight maybe? Or was this before his spell with you? (Brighton fans)

The second game was a televised away game during Bobby Williamson's tenure. I don't remember this as clearly, I think many pre-match drinks were consumed. I think we lost 2-0? Wasn't it the last game for Bobby? Or at least one of them.

Anyone have any other fond or not so fond memories of meeting between the two sides?

It was a baking day in Brighton, we lost the match 2 0 in a dire affair but the 500 green army were in full voice and it was a fantastic day from what i remember and the pictures I have. It was the last game for Bobby at argyle. Taribo West was playing :greensmile:
The 4 0 tuesday night defeat at Withdean last season was much less fun :yawn:

L

Laughter My Ploy

I remember them winning promotion at ours and parading the champions banner in front of their away fans....I wondered then as I do know whether we would ever reach the same heights as them

Also I think it was to be Kevin Hodges last game in charge we lost at Withdean....we were truly rubbish (and I cringe at anyone wanting Hodges back for that memory alone)...one of the only games I've ever left early....I followed a very disgruntled Lee Jameson (I beleive it was anyway) out of the ground....who threw his scarf on the floor in disgust and walk away....only to turn back after a further 50 yards or so to come back and retrieve it

I remember we lost 2-1 up there, think it may have been on sky?

I was there and it was later rumoured that Sturrock first met with Rupert Lowe after this game.

This was followed by the next away game in Tranmere when Luggy was 'ill' and left after the Sheff Wed home game a week or 2 later

A

Anonymous

I can remember the Shilton team hammering them at the Goldstone, but somehow (the ref' missed a deffo penalty on Castle right in front of me) they were managing to draw with us.

I left with two minutes to go as my car was parked behind their end.

Then, Dikov, who was on loan from Arsenal, scored a winner. :twisted:

From memory, Port Vale went their on the Saturday and won, and the rest, as they say, is history.

:|

Jul 29, 2010
Late 80's I think, on the vinegar strokes of an already crappy 0-0 draw at the Goldstone, Gary O'Reilly bundles in a crappy scrambled goal, restart followed immediately by the final whistle. I don't think i've ever experienced such a deflating ending to a game before or since...........even Jimmy Glass felt better.

Then there was the abject performance at the withdean that saw Taribo West at his most crippled and Bobby Williamson waved a cheery goodbye in his last game.

On a better note the Sussex Greens long wait for a win on local soil was sweet, saw the win when they were in Gillingham but that wasn't nearly as satisfying as taking three points IN Brighton.

Edit-

I remember that one too Nai, wasn't Castle sent off at the death too?, or maybe you were in your car by then.

And Cobi, last seasons 4-0 was actually quite enjoyable. No-one really expected anything and the gestures and appreciation from the locals was more what it was all about. Also I coiffed some very fine ales which always makes for an enjoyable experience, whatever the result.

Jul 29, 2010
LG":1h6ld0yq said:
There was an fa cup (replay?) win at the Withdean, that was a happy trip. :thumbup:

Indeed, Darren Bastow scored a free kick if memory serves, shows it's vintage!.

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Haha that 4 – 0 defeat at Withdean last year was the first time I Brought my missus along to an away game, she was generally puzzled as to whether all away grounds are like that!

One thing I remember from that game was being 4 – 0 down and Karl Duguid trotting on. When his name was called, someone jokingly shouted ‘Go on Duguid get up front bey!’

Found it really funny for some reason, typical green army humour :lol:

Sep 6, 2011
I've been to a few games at Plymouth over the years, but the one that stands out the most is when we won promotion. We needed several results elsewhere to go our way on the day, and all of them did!

I remember another one back in the 90's at Home Park. I'm sure it was played on a Sunday, and I took my old man who's not a regular at any football matches .... I remember he wasn't too impressed with standing on the open away end in a howling gale and peeing rain, we got absolutely soaked .... and I can't even remember who won!

Looking forward to this Saturday .... I hope we get to see many more games between our two sides .... at the right end of the league that is! ;)

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, remember your promotion game very well Sid, Zamora played like a possessed being from another world, jaw droppingly envious.............but we only had to wait another year to out point you on the way to our promotion. Interestingly that was actually a protest game too, you won't have noticed, not just because you were busy with your own concerns but in typical Janner style the 'hold up a card to form a message' protest didn't work because hardly anyone was there or bothered to lift their card :doh:.

The two I remember are the 0-0 at home in the Auto Windscreens or whatever it was then. I'd taken a girlfriend with me and stood on the spion kop. Freezing cold, no action (either off the pitch or on it), and we lost on pens after extra time. IBrighton were wearing their pink and white striped Andy Pandy away shirt and were sponsored by NOBO, which I thought was rather appropriate at the time.

the other game was when they celebrated promotion at our place. God, how I hated them that day. I had no inkling that we would be celebrating like that in the not too distant future.

Right, I'm bunking off work early to go and watch my new 2nd team on TV. :D