Building on Saturday | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Building on Saturday

• Thread starter A_Proverbial_Avocado
  • Start date
A

A_Proverbial_Avocado

Yesterday was a great day to be an Argyle fan, and a truly great time to be a football fan. I hope that all the fans who came down, from the hero who came down from Falkirk to the coachloads from Brighton, enjoyed their day and appreciated the lift it gave our club. It is difficult to express how good it all felt - after 3 years of utter misery and depression.

How could we possibly build on this?

On the 9th October 1886 Plymouth Argyle played their first ever game of football, against Launceston. Fast forward 125 years and on the same weekend we face Accrington Stanley at Home Park.

First of all, the best gift ever on this day would be for this horrific 'saga' to be over. I'd hope JB would recognise the significance to Argyle fans of finally getting this sorted - it is not his fault that it has dragged out as long as it has, but with the situation we're in things need to move quickly - and he is the one in the position to push this through now.

Secondly, how ace would it be to market this game as the start of the new chapter to the history of PAFC? Let us re-invite the Fans United lot down, see our (paid) players thump Accrington and move out the relegation zone! It is international weekend so the top two tiers of English football are not involved in any games that weekend - surely apart from Brighton (who I'm sure would still bring a few such is their exceptional nature) there are other clubs we have a good relationship with who'd like to get involved having seen the reactions from yesterday- QPR spring to mind, as do Newcastle? Apart from those travelling from upcountry, a proper marketing attempt at getting the interest of the student population (who will all be back in town by then) would be great - a lot of them will never be Argyle fans but still love their football. To support this, the club/JB could make the gesture of knocking off a fiver from ticket prices for the day?

I've not felt this positive about Argyle in 4 years. I hope it doesn't fizzle out, we need to act on this and push it further. This means in the boardroom, on the pitch, and as fans.

COYG

As a footnote, once we're out of this mess, and I truly believe it is not far away now, I now feel utterly responsible to attend similarly desperate occasions for other clubs who might be in the mire in the future. I didn't go to the original Fans United event 14 years ago (though I've attended a Falmer March), but the next time I see a Wrexham, Southend or even a Luton at the mercy of the mess that is football administration I'll almost feel compelled to go. I'd love for other team's fans to think of us the way we feel about Brighton now!

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
With no Premier League or Championship games being played that week wouldn't it be great to get Fans Re-united II on TV. I doubt it would even be a possibility but if it could happen then we could even go as far as advertising nationally via Sky. Nevertheless I'll be going to watch us get our second home win of the season :D