Will funds be made available? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Will funds be made available?

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Hi all,

I wanted to ask James Brent this question personally on Saturday but unfortunately couldn't make it so I'm going to ask on here,

I know January is a long way away but if we have realistic expectations of a respectable finish we need to strengthen our squad. I think by then our current young team will have gelled a lot better and we will be seeing good performances on a consistent and regular basis, but we all know the areas for improvement.

I'm aware James Brent was clearly stated he won't be splashing the cash in January and his priorities lies with paying the staff and players and ultimately stabilising the club financially, but my question to you is if he does make funds available for January how much will we get to spend? Personally I think somewhere in the region of £500,000 would suffice if you think that we have a capable team assembled from loans and freebies.

I'm very excited for the window this year as for the last 2 years we haven't exactly had much to spend and hopefully by then we will be relishing the thought of safety and NO CONFERENCE FOOTBALL! :)

S

Steve Bond

Would love to see some 'realistic' signings, on 'sensible' money, but, as you state, Brent isn't going to splash out. Would like to see a 20 goal a season striker

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Greenbondy":2xgx7g04 said:
Would love to see some 'realistic' signings, on 'sensible' money, but, as you state, Brent isn't going to splash out. Would like to see a 20 goal a season striker
You mean like Kevin Phillips and Robbie Fowler? :lol:

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
matteh.":2gg4yi5u said:
I personally think Feeney's good enough to get 10-15 goals in this league he just needs service.
I agree, he showed Saturday that he is capable of getting into dangerous positions (not the best opposition admittedly) and I think if we could get a pair of decent wingers then not only would that provide better serivce for Feeney but it would add that strength in depth factor with Daley and Atkinson (until he goes back to Hull) that we haven't had in a while.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
matteh.":1t7ex0p8 said:
Fergy.":1t7ex0p8 said:
matteh.":1t7ex0p8 said:
I personally think Feeney's good enough to get 10-15 goals in this league he just needs service.
I agree, he showed Saturday that he is capable of getting into dangerous positions (not the best opposition admittedly) and I think if we could get a pair of decent wingers then not only would that provide better serivce for Feeney but it would add that strength in depth factor with Daley and Atkinson (until he goes back to Hull) that we haven't had in a while.

Atkinson's here for the season.
Oh, I was getting confused with Hitchcock who I believe is only here until December or January?

Mar 21, 2008
Feeney scores 1 goal off his shoulder, his first in what, 30 plus games? And suddenly he's going to be our 15-a-season goalscorer?

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Rob_GT4":y6lplluw said:
Feeney scores 1 goal off his shoulder, his first in what, 30 plus games? And suddenly he's going to be our 15-a-season goalscorer?
All me and Matteh said is that the potential is there, is he someone who is going to make a dazling dribble and score from outside the box, no, he's a poacher. He has the potential to be a player who can latch onto scraps in the penalty area but only if the service improves.

B

Benji

Rob_GT4":1u5hv7ju said:

Exactly, if you had seen him at Shrewsbury and Barnet, he will not set the league alight, he will not get 15-20 goals,
We need a couple more in now

Mar 21, 2008
Fergy.":1dhxaamv said:
Rob_GT4":1dhxaamv said:
All me and Matteh said is that the potential is there, is he someone who is going to make a dazling dribble and score from outside the box, no, he's a poacher. He has the potential to be a player who can latch onto scraps in the penalty area but only if the service improves.
Not from what i've seen, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

The kind of poaching, goalscoring feeding off scraps type player you're describing would be someone like Wright-Philips, can get in front of a man, read a ball coming in his direction and get a touch to put it in.

Feeney isn't. He's more of a slow, weak, winger in my eyes, feeding off scraps in the channels, Maclean had more goal threat, and that's saying something.

G

GreenArmy1986

the one thing you can say about feeney he puts a shift in I cant believe oldham fans said he was lazy but he not a lone striker and we need to someone up there to help him and hitchcock is not the answer

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I'd primarly thought of Feeney as a link up man, due to his scoring record but perhaps all is not all it seems.

With full fitness and better service, maybe he could get a few more. Always said he is a good player for this level.

Oct 24, 2010
Fergy.":2qb0ow4r said:
Hi all,

I wanted to ask James Brent this question personally on Saturday but unfortunately couldn't make it so I'm going to ask on here,

I know January is a long way away but if we have realistic expectations of a respectable finish we need to strengthen our squad. I think by then our current young team will have gelled a lot better and we will be seeing good performances on a consistent and regular basis, but we all know the areas for improvement.

I'm aware James Brent was clearly stated he won't be splashing the cash in January and his priorities lies with paying the staff and players and ultimately stabilising the club financially, but my question to you is if he does make funds available for January how much will we get to spend? Personally I think somewhere in the region of £500,000 would suffice if you think that we have a capable team assembled from loans and freebies.

I'm very excited for the window this year as for the last 2 years we haven't exactly had much to spend and hopefully by then we will be relishing the thought of safety and NO CONFERENCE FOOTBALL! :)
We will still be heavily in debt, I doubt very much we will be paying a transfer fee for a long, long while. We will be signing League 2 players at League 2 wages.