VERYrare footage argyle 6 charlton 4 1958 or possibly not? | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

VERYrare footage argyle 6 charlton 4 1958 or possibly not?

G

Greenskin

Before my time-was that the game where Wilf Carter scored five to avenge a 6-4 loss at Charlton the previous day? Shame about the quality of the film but it does give a flavour of Home Park back in those days,looked like a big crowd filling the old Demport end and grandstand.Wonder how the guy managed to wangle a ringside view? He seems to be a westcountryman,there are also some films of Tavistock and Gunnislake in his collection as well as the shots of Plymouth in your other post in the City of Plymouth section.Good find.

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
Yes, a great find, but there are a few problems with it.

Argyle didn't play Charlton in 1958. If it's one of the 6-4s against Charlton, it'd be 1959 or 1960.

It's hard to hear all the voice-over, but there's a mention of Bill Shortt in goal. Unfortunately, his last game was in 1956 and what's more, he never played against Charlton. Also said to have played for N. Ireland, but he played for Wales.

There's also a mention of Mike Trebilcock, but his first game was in 1963.

The opposition's colours are a puzzle too. The film might well have faded - maybe Charlton's red has become orange - but the socks don't look right for this time (see http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Charlto ... hletic.htm) unless they simply wore black socks that day.

Other than that, great film!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
GreensOnScreen":1ivn7uua said:

Argyle didn't play Charlton in 1958. If it's one of the 6-4s against Charlton, it'd be 1959 or 1960.

It's hard to hear all the voice-over, but there's a mention of Bill Shortt in goal. Unfortunately, his last game was in 1956 and what's more, he never played against Charlton. Also said to have played for N. Ireland, but he played for Wales.

The opposition's colours are a puzzle too. The film might well have faded - maybe Charlton's red has become orange - but the socks don't look right for this time (see http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Charlto ... hletic.htm) unless they simply wore black socks that day.

The film is reasonably clear 25 seconds or so in and the goalkeeper in the Argyle goal is definitely Dave Maclaren. He was not at the club for the 1959-60 season so that points towards the five goal Carter game. There is also a clearish shot of the number 3 in green but I cannot tell if it Terry Stacey, who played that day, or Bryce Fulton, who normally dominated the three shirt during that period.

Jul 25, 2011
GreensOnScreen":vkh6wzt0 said:

Mmm I might mail the guy who presumably owns-took the film to see of he has missslabled ?
He did with the 1963 video which has a title 1958 so it's quite possible he mixed this up too?

Jul 25, 2011
Just to add I thought the white ball was odd for the 50's
Sure they didn't become a regular feature until way into 60's ?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
the commentary wherever that came from is definitely misleading..thats not bill short in goal....i saw charlton in the late 50's early 60's and never saw them in that kit...looks to me from the early 60's,will look closer when i have the time.

Jul 25, 2011
oddball":25lh95fc said:
the commentary wherever that came from is definitely misleading..thats not bill short in goal....i saw charlton in the late 50's early 60's and never saw them in that kit...looks to me from the early 60's,will look closer when i have the time.
You can honestly remember what colour socks the away team wore st a random match 50 years ago ?
Fair play, I can't remember what colour the ones I'm wearing are :lol:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
with-menace":a94g936h said:
oddball":a94g936h said:
You can honestly remember what colour socks the away team wore st a random match 50 years ago ?
The Argyle kit is definitely the one they wore from the start of 1959-60 to midway through the 1962-63 season. When the big freeze came they switched to a round neck, long sleeved version but with the same main colour and the same black and white piping around the neck and cuffs.

Jul 25, 2011
memory man":l16twhjc said:
with-menace":l16twhjc said:
oddball":l16twhjc said:
The Argyle kit is definitely the one they wore from the start of 1959-60 to midway through the 1962-63 season. When the big freeze came they switched to a round neck, long sleeved version but with the same main colour and the same black and white piping around the neck and cuffs.

Memory man
Does what it says on the tin :clap:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
with-menace":2f39ea8s said:
memory man":2f39ea8s said:
with-menace":2f39ea8s said:
oddball":2f39ea8s said:

Memory man
Does what it says on the tin :clap:
Was there a Ron Seal playing for Charlton then!!!!!????

Steve Dean

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
memory man":39km8o76 said:
GreensOnScreen":39km8o76 said:

The film is reasonably clear 25 seconds or so in and the goalkeeper in the Argyle goal is definitely Dave Maclaren. He was not at the club for the 1959-60 season so that points towards the five goal Carter game. There is also a clearish shot of the number 3 in green but I cannot tell if it Terry Stacey, who played that day, or Bryce Fulton, who normally dominated the three shirt during that period.
Yes, good spot Steve, that's Dave Maclaren in the warm-up, which, if it is a Charlton 6-4 game, must make it 27th December 1960 - as you say, the day Wilf Carter scored five.
One thing that struck me was the brief glimpse if the loudspeaker enclosure at the Barn Park End. I always thought that was built in the early sixties, but not quite this early. Any idea when that went up Steve?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
GreensOnScreen":2vu8tast said:
memory man":2vu8tast said:
GreensOnScreen":2vu8tast said:

Yes, good spot Steve, that's Dave Maclaren in the warm-up, which, if it is a Charlton 6-4 game, must make it 27th December 1960 - as you say, the day Wilf Carter scored five.
One thing that struck me was the brief glimpse if the loudspeaker enclosure at the Barn Park End. I always thought that was built in the early sixties, but not quite this early. Any idea when that went up Steve?
Definitely during the very early 60s. I found reference to it in the Board minutes where they added a weatherproof structure. All supplied.paid for and fitted by Ron Lucas and his official Supporters' Club committee. I will need to look at a few newspaper photos to see if it features in any of them. That will certainly provide the date. Unfortunately the Board minutes are back with Colin now.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
I would date this footage from the 1962-63 season. Dave Maclaren is clearly identifiable as is Johnny Williams. The loud speaker also dates from that era.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
oddball":2yqe7joc said:
I would date this footage from the 1962-63 season. Dave Maclaren is clearly identifiable as is Johnny Williams. The loud speaker also dates from that era.
You could well be right with the date of the game - we beat Charlton 6-1 at HP that season. (27.10.62 with McAnearney, Carter (3) and Jackson scoring the goals). There is the briefest of glimpses of the number 11 shirt which would have been worn by Micky Lill that day. But the speakers were definitely there much earlier. I have found a piece by Pilgrim written in February 1960, in his Football Herald round-up, where he reports that Ron Lucas, secretary of the Supporters' Club has received planning permission to transfer the speakers from their temporary scaffold to a permanent structure.