Brief Synopsis!!!

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
1) Nice to watch two teams playing decent football. Scunthorpe had probably the bulk of play and created a good first half chance for McSheffrey, who was already celebrating as he put it wide!

2) Argyle had their chances too. Hourihane had a 1v1 well saved but really he probably should have done better. Hourihane and Young had good first 45s as did Nelson after his usual early misplaced pass.

3) Series of corners for Scunthorpe caused concern in the Argyle defence. It was noticeable that Reid rather than Parsons was defending the near post after the debacle at Rovers.

4) My feeling at half-time was that the game could go either way and the first goal would be crucial.

5) Madden looked lively for Scunthorpe until Hayes replaced him and their defence looked strong. Their 'keeper was one of the shortest I've seen at Home Park but his agility was good. Dreadful time wasting from the 10th minute onwards!!

6) Hourihane had a good run and shot in the second and put a good cross in on another occasion but Reid was on his heels rather than attacking the space. Alessandra hit the post.

7) Argyle needed subs and fresh legs but Sheridan was again late with his subs.

8 ) Two slips in the Argyle defence eventually let them in. Trotman committed and missed his challenge and Parsons nowhere again. The second came from Argyle pushing up.

9) Argyle fans got behind the team well at the start but quietened after 30 minutes. Better again in the second. Finished the game in virtual silence. A draw would have been a fairer result, 2 nil loss wasn't the right score but there you go.

Mar 23, 2008
Very unlucky, Lewis and Connor outstanding. Bad management not making subs while they brought on fresh legs lost it for us.

Mar 18, 2006
No complaints ( other than Scunthorpe's appalling time wasting).
Beaten by a better team, with their number 4 running the game.
Hope for better on Tuesday .

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Deacster":328rok0u said:
Very unlucky, Lewis and Connor outstanding. Bad management not making subs while they brought on fresh legs lost it for us.
Scoring NIL vs 2 lost it for us. Nothing more or less really. Did the 3 subs produce a real hatful of chances in the 10 mins they were on ? No !
As Ainsworth said about Tuesday ''not a fair result but there you go its footy'' - move on to the next game. :scarf:

Dec 7, 2006
Ok, Scunthorpe are a decent side but we matched them all over the park - on this performance, it underlines how poor a League this is if they are 2nd in the table. Sheridan, as usual, left the subs far too late but we were already chasing the game after they took a totally undeserved lead. Reid looked knackered from about the 70th minute and fresh legs at that point could well have provided a different result. My MOM was Allesandra hy a country mile.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I deliberately do not comment on the actual play in a match I have not seen, but to be fair to Sheridan the timing of substitutions is tricky when it is 0-0. It is very easy to interrupt the flow of the side and the players' concentration by making changes - there is never a right time when you are holding your own. However, what I do not know from not being there is how the balance of play had been in the period leading up to their opener. Even the great Sir Alf Ramsey never quite mastered it, the finest examples being the 1970 World Cup against West Germany and the Poland game at Wembley in the next qualifiers. Fortunately today neither Oxford or Southend got too much further away from us.

Aug 15, 2008
Miss your chances - lose football games. It is that simple. Scunthorpe are decent side, not great not world beaters but organised and they try and play football in the way it is meant.

I am not too bothered about the result as we have had the rub of the green lately - today we didn't.

We are still in this - we have a game in hand to win.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Easy sitting here knowing what happened but it was another game that needed quicker subs either to go for the win or shore up for the point.

We needed fresh legs about 5 minutes before they scored.

Unfortunate defeat but one that we can chalk off in the 'realistic defeat' predictions that most of us made and turn our full attention to Tuesday night game against another strong team looking at snatching 3 points in our back yard.

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Best game of football I've seen this season. Both teams passing it on the floor ( most of the time ) in perfect conditions. Chances at either end but as we got to the last quarter we tired and started to sit back. They grew stronger and subs were needed as some of our lads had run themselves into the ground. I said to my mate that we would only make the subs if we go 1 down and 5 mins later the inevitable happened.
The subs duly came but the game was gone and they made little impact.
A close game where we matched and at times outplayed the best team I've seen down here this season.
Alessandra again, hourihane, young all had strong games and didn't deserve to end on the wrong end of a 2 nil. Blizzard laboured and seems very one paced and ineffective.

A good game where the rub of the green just didn't quite go our way

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
We didn't deserve that!

In the end it came down to fine margins, we didn't get the luck in front of goal and Scunthorpe did.
Let's be honest, Scunthorpe are a very good team, the best visiting team I've seen at Home Park this season and yet we more than matched them. With their possession football you can see why they draw a lot of games.

There was contrasting styles in the way each team played, Scunthorpe were neat and tidy in midfield playing possession football with little threat in attack while we were content to sit back and contain and play on the counter attack and it's fair to say we had the better chances by being more direct.

Alessandra was a class above the players on the pitch, he had two great chances in the first half but sadly both shots flew over the bar.
His running, control and energy worried the Scunthorpe defence and in the second half he could have grabbed a hat-trick, he had two shots that hit the post, one of those hit the inside of the upright and bounced across the goal and was cleared. So unlucky!

In a very tense game it would be a mistake that would gift a goal and sure enough a slip in the Argyle defence opened up a chance and Syers put it away. We didn't deserve to be behind.

Sheridan brought on the three subs and changed to a 4-4-2 formation and we briefly rallied but Scunthorpe got the killer second goal, once again thanks to a stroke of luck. Adelakun had a shot that hit the post and rebounded back across goal and hit the diving Cole to slowly roll over the line. 2-0.
Remember Alessandra's shot doing the same but bouncing to safety? Fine margins.

It's difficult to fault any player after a good performance like that, Hourihane was everywhere and had a couple of shots that on another day would have beaten the keeper, it looked at one stage that he would be subbed after picking up a hamstring injury in the first half.

Reid was bullish and a lot of play went through him particularly from Young in the quarterback position. Reid would receive the ball to feet, turn and run at the Scunthorpe defence to set up several attacks. He was unlucky to be subbed but it was worth trying something different late in the game.

Nelson and Trotman were solid and Cole made one superb save during the first half that kept us in the game.
Parsons provided lots of width on the left and if we were to score the goal would come from that side of the team, however, he needs to find some bravery in the tackle. After the Rovers game Reid was now on near post duty when defending set-pieces instead of Parsons.

A word for the referee who had an excellent game.

We've dropped a place in the league but nothing much has changed, it's still in our hands although the pressure is now on to beat Chesterfield.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Unlucky today but I felt we were slow to react to changes in the game. We learnt the difficulties of playing 3-5-2 against a good team. It meant for long periods we were actually playing 5-3-2 and allowing their midfield far too much time on the ball. I felt in the first-half we should have switched to 4-4-2 for this one, but I suspect the feeling was that it had been working well and a draw would be a good result.

In the second-half we needed changes after 15 minutes but they only came when it was too late.

Defensively we were solid in the middle but fragile on both flanks - particularly the left. Berry and Parsons are very similar in that they can look good going forward, but really aren't very good defenders.

Having said all of that, it was a good performance against the best side I've seen this season - and it could have gone either way.

I thought Trotman was excellent (though I didn't see his part in the goal as highlighted by MP). Hourihane was again very good. MoM though has to be Alessandra - it just looked like something would happen every time he received the ball.