No recognition for Russell Coughlin

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Such a shame there was no minute applause or silence to honour Russell Coughlin before the Luton game on Saturday.

It was a chance to pay our respects to a fellow Pilgrim.
Exeter City held a minute applause for him before their game on Saturday.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I know the policy is that there will be a round of applause at the end of the season.

I personally think that is a flawed idea and the passing of a great stalwart like Russell would have mean more to us if we had been 'on it' on Saturday.

Blackpool and Exeter did it, we didn't, I think that's sad.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Not quite the same is it?

Many, many people miss anything at half time, getting drinks, having a fag, going for a pee etc.

The time honoured tradition for 'remembrance' is a one minute, players around the centre, showing their respect with the fans.

I don't think Argyle should follow what everyone else does in football, but this tradition is exactly that. Everyone I know recognises it as such.

Russell played for our club with aplomb, he was a great player, we should have shown him that respect, other clubs did.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
It's a terrible thing to say, but I think the impact and meaning of rounds of applause/minute's silence have been hugely lessened in recent years with the regularity in which they are used. Of course, once you start doing it for some people, it's difficult to say another person shouldn't have one. The first time I saw a minute applause was for George Best, which I found very moving because it was a genuine appreciation for the joy he had brought football fans everywhere. Subsequent minute applauses for fans and players who the vast majority of the crowd don't even know (not the case with Russell, but often is), always come off a bit insincere to me.

I personally feel they should be reserved for club legends (be they players or otherwise) or major tragedies. I wasn't at Home Park on Saturday but if, as davie says, there was an applause at half time for Russell then that is wholly appropriate in my view.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's all about opinions Biggsy but a player that played in a triumphant side, for a lot of games by the majority of people that attend Home Park, deserved more than that.

I don't like the word 'legend' but to many of us he was certainly admired and respected for an awful lot of games.

I do see your point but I don't agree with it.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Terrible own goal scored by the club. Now, where's that charter?

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I was surprised there was not a minute's applause to be honest.

I never saw Russell Coughlin play as he was just before my time, but from what I have heard he was an outstanding player and a vital cog in Dave Smith's team. Also, whenever I have heard him spoken about by Argyle fans, it's always in the highest regard, so the fact his sad passing was not acknowledged before kick off is very disappointing.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Biggs":2kidxpyd said:
It's a terrible thing to say, but I think the impact and meaning of rounds of applause/minute's silence have been hugely lessened in recent years with the regularity in which they are used. Of course, once you start doing it for some people, it's difficult to say another person shouldn't have one. The first time I saw a minute applause was for George Best, which I found very moving because it was a genuine appreciation for the joy he had brought football fans everywhere. Subsequent minute applauses for fans and players who the vast majority of the crowd don't even know (not the case with Russell, but often is), always come off a bit insincere to me.

I personally feel they should be reserved for club legends (be they players or otherwise) or major tragedies. I wasn't at Home Park on Saturday but if, as davie says, there was an applause at half time for Russell then that is wholly appropriate in my view.

It's a difficult one and it must be hard for the person(s) who decides who deserves a minute applause before a game but if we can't do it for a player who won promotion and who sadly passed away in such tragic circumstances just two days before then when can we?

May 8, 2011
I think the idea of one game being treated as a memorial game quite good as long as the club do it properly and give it plenty of publicity.
The lack of a big screen doesn't help as at other clubs that do memorial games show films of players who have past away plus photos and names of fans.
Other clubs also lay a reef or bouquet behind the home end goal as part of the memorial and the team wear black armbands.

I was surprised last year how few names were read out, probably due to the lack of pre publicity.

West Norwood Green

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 3, 2004
Not up to us I know, as we are the away team but it would seem appropriate to arrange a tribute this Saturday when we play Carlisle, given RC's strong association with both clubs?

May 5, 2014
Disappointed to read that there was no pre match recognition for Russell on Saturday.He was a key member of Dave Smiths promotion winning team and a really nice guy with it! Half-time applause doesn't cut it for me.A poor decision by the club made worse by the fact that City showed him proper respect He deserved better!

May 22, 2006
What about Alex Govan? Why nothing for him? And why has it taken 15 posts for anyone to even mention him?

The current system doesn't work for players who happen to die in the middle of pre-season, because everyone's forgotten about it by the time the season starts. Surely this isn't fair, and a single memorial to all passed Argyle players and fans would be far more appropriate.