RIP Grandad Stuart Dolton, | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

RIP Grandad Stuart Dolton,

May 30, 2021
Good evening All

Sadly my grandad Stuart Dolton passed away on Friday at the age of 89. He was a life long green and watched pretty much every home game for over 60 years. He started taking me to games when I was six and because of him I’m a green.

Now I know this is going to be a massive long shot but I’m hoping some of you out there knew him and may have some memories or stories you might be able to tell me.

My grandad spent most of his life living in Hooe. He worked for the bus company as an upholsterer and then later as a green keeper at Staddon Heights golf club. I know many an argyle fan often came to the house to have their sofa or motorbike seat recovered. If it helps anyone’s memory his wife was joy and his children Ellaine, Stuart and Matt.

As a watcher of argyle he and we mostly stood on the mayflower terrace near the half way line at the back. He was a tall man (I was often sent to the front so I could see). Not only that but when the argyle scratchcard scheme started he worked selling them to fans often walking miles door to door and had his regulars that he chatted to and became close to. I used to walk with him during school holidays.

My grandad was one of those people that knew everyone and I know my mum and uncles would love to hear any memories that anyone might have of him. A massive long shot I know as he was 89 and so I am hoping perhaps the people that use this forum maybe remember him from when they were teenagers or through their parents.

Thanks in advance

James Thompson

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Very sorry to hear of your loss HoC.

I didn't know Stuart, but his and your story is very similar to mine and a lot of Greens.

As I was advised, when my Dad passed away, on this very site, stay behind after your next visit to Home Park and remember all the great and not so great times you spent there with your Granddad.

RIP Pilgrim

May 30, 2021
Thank you for Your kind words and that is a lovely idea I hadn’t thought of that. That is something I will defiantly be doing come the new season. I
Must say the good times with him at home park defiantly outweighed the bad.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ad astra Pilgrim. :cry:

I've moved this to the main page, as we always allow that for a few days so fellow Pilgrims can pass their respects and then I move it into the RIP Forum.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
One of the very best things about supporting a real football club in person is the memories you make with family.

Hope someone remembers your grandad, I’m sure they will.

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
Sorry to hear about your loss.

My father was a driver for PCT, and through him I met and stood with a a group of driver s and conductors including the (Im) famous Reg Dixon whose berating of officials I believe was in part responsible for the games we had to play away from Home Park in 60/1 season ( well before my time)

They were a fun and raucous bunch and I enjoyed their company so if he was part of the crew that hovered behind the dugouts I may well have met him.

Like your grandfather my father transmitted his love of all things green but the highs forgive the lows!

Peter

Midsomer Green

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 14, 2015
Midsomer Norton, Naperville Chicago
My father had told me that your grandfather had passed away, I am sorry for your loss.

Stuart was an absolute gentleman, I grew up living opposite to him in Hooe in the 80’s and early 90’s and I can remember discussing the Shilton era at the time with him.

I think most of my friends called upon Stuart’s upholstery skills in the early 90’s, there wouldn't have been many Yamaha RD 125 LCs in the Plymstock area that did not have a seat reupholstered by him and what a great quality job he did on them.

RIP Stuart

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
RIP Stuart. Our thoughts are with you and your family James.

Graham Green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
May 26, 2010
Swindon
RIP Stuart,

My father was a driver for PCT, and through him I met and stood with a a group of driver s and conductors including the (Im) famous Reg Dixon whose berating of officials I believe was in part responsible for the games we had to play away from Home Park in 60/1 season ( well before my time)

They were a fun and raucous bunch and I enjoyed their company so if he was part of the crew that hovered behind the dugouts I may well have met him.

I was there parked on the railings by the dugouts in the early 70's while my parents stood back alongside Rex and the others.
Often for Combination (reserves) games too.
The atmosphere was something special where the comedy was often funnier the worse Argyle played.
Long term characters like Stuart, Rex and all the others we have lost left a legacy which,as Biggs said previously, makes us feel we belong to special club despite our general lack of success.
I hope we have a season that they can look down on and be proud,