Just noticed no diagouragia for fleetwood | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Just noticed no diagouragia for fleetwood

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Daz":ki787xwl said:
Career wise if he had stayed with us he could well have been integral part of a team going somewhere with a longer contract.

At the time he moved we were far closer to the relegation zone than Fleetwood. Career wise he could have stayed with us, and if we had got an injury or two he could have been in League 2 whilst with Fleetwood signing some decent players (like they did) could have kicked on, snuck in the play offs and got to the Championship. Fickle business all these ifs and buts.

May 3, 2017
He rolled the dice and decided to move north for the reasons discussed. He has to live with his decision now. He did a great job whilst we had him but Derek doesn’t need him now.

Jul 3, 2013
Daz":1tbzvyj2 said:
chunkymonkey78":1tbzvyj2 said:
The short term gain not being having to travel hundreds of miles to see his family, working under a manager he knows, more money and closer to home?

Maybe he'd come back and move them down here for a decent length contract if it doesn't work out at Fleetwood but I'm not sure how anyone can criticise the bloke for moving for more money and less travelling.

I’m not criticising him for going at all. I’m pointing out that as football is such a fickle business he is no longer working under a manager he knows, out of the squad for the latest match and could well end up where we found him with no club again in a couple of years. Career wise if he had stayed with us he could well have been integral part of a team going somewhere with a longer contract.

Your shelf life as a footballer is short so of course you chase the money, however if this move goes completely mammaries up he may well be less well off by making this move. All ifs, buts and maybes from me, but just my thoughts on it. I wonder whether he regrets the move right now?

A 2 year deal anywhere up that way would have been more beneficial to him than staying here regardless of his involvement, we are hardly renowned for dishing out contracts of that length.

Oct 24, 2010
He is a decent player but I never quite got the Pasoti love-in for him. I don't think we have lost anything with having Ness in the team instead.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
esmer":2ab8p0jq said:
He is a decent player but I never quite got the Pasoti love-in for him. I don't think we have lost anything with having Ness in the team instead.

Personally I would Diagouragia over Ness anytime . I feel the latter only benefits by being younger, but from the times I saw Dia_______ play I felt he was more than an accomplished player and Argyle were lucky to be able to use his services. He was a catalyst in the team's winning streak. Others os course may well disagree. I will accept that he was playing with stronger players around him and better tactics at Plymouth, and that is why Fleetwood's recent playing results are weak. -

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Quintrell_Green":guuutiu4 said:
esmer":guuutiu4 said:

Personally I would Diagouragia over Ness anytime . I feel the latter only benefits by being younger, but from the times I saw Dia_______ play I felt he was more than an accomplished player and Argyle were lucky to be able to use his services. He was a catalyst in the team's winning streak. Others os course may well disagree. I will accept that he was playing with stronger players around him and better tactics at Plymouth, and that is why Fleetwood's recent playing results are weak. -
I watched the highlights of the Doncaster game. I know that kind of snapshot is not a good place to judge but I did think how slow or leggy he looked. I wonder if having better legs around him here was a factor in him being more effective for us?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Quintrell_Green":3qtl6k7t said:
esmer":3qtl6k7t said:

Spot on OG

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Daz":lm8m9kdz said:
mervyn":lm8m9kdz said:
Why the schadenfreude? He did a great job for us and moved for family reasons. Pathetic posts.

Nobody doubts that, however he was on the scrap heap struggling for a club when we came along and gave him a life line to help him and his family. He played well for us which coincided with an upturn in the whole teams performances and then he moved on as soon as he could. It would be rather ironic if he was not able to get back in their team that he would have made a bad decision for himself and his family.

He was largely credited for our upturn in form, but it’s since been shown that it wasn’t all down to him. He could have been a legend here, but left for short term gain.

I said the same and got crucified for it Daz. My opinion is Toums should have stayed until the end of the season then looked at his options. If we were to go up and Toums had stayed he might have been looking at a wage increase given how integral a part of the team he had became. Can't blame him for wanting to be closer to his family but same as you I feel he could have shown a bit of class to DA and the team given that we got him fit and playing again. Wonder if looking back now he wishes he had given it to the endvof the season before looking at his options.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Argyle-sy":llwv0i2w said:
Daz":llwv0i2w said:
mervyn":llwv0i2w said:
Why the schadenfreude? He did a great job for us and moved for family reasons. Pathetic posts.

Nobody doubts that, however he was on the scrap heap struggling for a club when we came along and gave him a life line to help him and his family. He played well for us which coincided with an upturn in the whole teams performances and then he moved on as soon as he could. It would be rather ironic if he was not able to get back in their team that he would have made a bad decision for himself and his family.

He was largely credited for our upturn in form, but it’s since been shown that it wasn’t all down to him. He could have been a legend here, but left for short term gain.

I said the same and got crucified for it Daz. My opinion is Toums should have stayed until the end of the season then looked at his options. If we were to go up and Toums had stayed he might have been looking at a wage increase given how integral a part of the team he had became. Can't blame him for wanting to be closer to his family but same as you I feel he could have shown a bit of class to DA and the team given that we got him fit and playing again. Wonder if looking back now he wishes he had given it to the endvof the season before looking at his options.

I've worked away to make some money for my family. I've usually been home at weekends tho'. Many others work 'away' for years. My boy is serving abroad at the moment. Just bought a house, three kids at school, gets the keys to the house and next day leaves for a four month posting. No 'choice' in his case.

So it wouldn't have 'killed' Toums to stay until May. First Team football, bit of promotion sniff in the air? Surely other clubs would rather sign a player who showed loyalty, played well and almost/did push his 'adopted team to promotion/near promotion?
"Good player, Boss ..."
"Why does he want to leave Plymouth?""
Family up here Boss, saw out his season at Plymouth tho'.""
Good lad .. let's sign him!"

That's imho anyway! :think:

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Pogleswoody":1ejltlgs said:
Argyle-sy":1ejltlgs said:
Daz":1ejltlgs said:
mervyn":1ejltlgs said:

I've worked away to make some money for my family. I've usually been home at weekends tho'. Many others work 'away' for years. My boy is serving abroad at the moment. Just bought a house, three kids at school, gets the keys to the house and next day leaves for a four month posting. No 'choice' in his case.

So it wouldn't have 'killed' Toums to stay until May. First Team football, bit of promotion sniff in the air? Surely other clubs would rather sign a player who showed loyalty, played well and almost/did push his 'adopted team to promotion/near promotion?
"Good player, Boss ..."
"Why does he want to leave Plymouth?""
Family up here Boss, saw out his season at Plymouth tho'.""
Good lad .. let's sign him!"

That's imho anyway! :think:

At the end of the day this forum is about opinions is it not ?. Toums was on the scrap heap, DA and Argyle gave him the chance to resurrect his career, my personal opinion is that Toums could have repaid the faith shown him by at least staying until the end of the season and then reviewing his options then.i I see people defending Toums choice on a personal level because of his family being up north, yet he had been based in the south for the majority of his career and that hadn't seemed to be such an issue to Toums then which is why I think some are saying similar to what myself, and Dad are saying. Yes Fleetwoods owners have been splashing the cash due to their millionaire owner, but one would think that anyone involved in football or knowledgeable about football like us as fans would know that Argyle still have far more potential than Fleetwood Town. Going from playing in a strong team in front of 9000+ fans every week to playing in a struggling team struggling to get 3000 fans a week seems like a step backwards to me, and I think in hindsight Toums might realise this himself.