✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Seems strange making the decision now seeing that he 's still got 5 months of his contract left.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i am infuriated by this.one of the best young players i have ever seen. :furious: yes i know tyler harvey has yet to be snapped up by a league club but i reckon he and callum will. :furious:

Feb 8, 2005
Gives him time to get hooked up somewhere else. No good waiting until the end of his contract, to be told he is not required, is it?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Mark Matthews in 3...2...1....

A shame, though. Hopefully this can still be the start of a good pro career.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
I agree! I am very surprised to hear this news! Has he really been given a chance? I don't think so.

I never liked him when he played for Brixham as my son came up against him many times and boy did they have a a few battles.

However I have really admired how Callum has progressed and I thought he would have been one for the future.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Strange.. when I've seen him play I've actually rated him higher than Jordan Bentley. He was also doing well out on loan, scoring and putting in MOTM performances. Doesn't really make sense.

Aug 2, 2011
The usual knee jerk reactions from the usual suspects. Nobody on here knows the full facts behind the decision. Does no one think that the club do not give careful consideration to all of the factors before coming to the decision that it has.

Tyler Harvey another youngster whose release has been criticised has had plenty of opportunity both at HP and other clubs to prove his potential and given the comprehensive scouting network within the game other than a couple of posters on here he has not attracted attention from even a league 2 club.

Ratherlike the "players who have gone on to excel away from Argyle but not rated whilst with us" thread this appears to be the other side of the coin. - again showing that fans are not always the best judges of players.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
A blow was dealt to the tender career of teenager Callum Rose last week with the news he will be released by Plymouth Argyle in the summer.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Steve Evans":mwllvxp4 said:
i am infuriated by this.one of the best young players i have ever seen. :furious: yes i know tyler harvey has yet to be snapped up by a league club but i reckon he and callum will. :furious:

Blimey! The Tyler Harvey fan club (members: 1 [Steve Evans]) is still going.

Feb 28, 2016
I've not been shocked by a home grown player's release since River Allen, disappointed yes but not shocked, this one however really did knock me for six for a couple of days. If it had been any of the other five it wouldn't have surprised me as much just because of their current individual situations. I just don't understand how Adams can justify it. You give the lad a professional contract six months ago, send him out on loan for development, he breaks into the team almost immediately, takes over the captain's position, then when the captain came back from injury they changed their formation to accommodate him because Callum is preferred in his old position! Callum is currently miles ahead in their supporters player of the month (currently on 42% of the vote the closest bloke behind him is on 16%.) MOTM performances including this Saturday after he found this out, great to see him come out fighting. He has smashed the loan, I cant remember an academy graduate who has had such a successful loan. Just what more did he have to do to show he was worth another year?

I'm well informed that not once, did an Argyle representative go to watch Callum during the loan and that every single report put in from Dorchester was glowing, singing his praises.

With all due respect to the other five but they may as well pack up now because we are about to see another entire year go by the wayside. Last season we saw Jordan Bentley, Alex Fletcher and Callum Rose come to the fore, over players in the year above them who were on contracts, this season we see the likes of Cameron Sangster and Ryan Law being talked about instead of the first year pros and development lads, I fully expect them to be out in the cold this time next season and we will be hearing how; Tom Purrington, Mike Peck and Rio Garside are the next big hopes and then the same will happen to them. Seen it time and again from Adams empty words to buy more time to allow his dismal record drag on. Its disgraceful, an absolute joke, which makes a complete mockery of the academy, a complete mockery of the work Kevin Hodges and his staff do and the reason why I have previously stated that I would never donate a single ha'penny of my money or a millisecond of time to helping out the academy because there is no point, Adams has no interest in developing anyone under 23 and if we do get an U23 team next season as rumours I've heard say then this will be all the more disappointing. It does highlight to the lads currently on the FA youth cup run, if you can get out to another club on the back of this don't think twice about it, where ever it may be, go for it because it wont be any worse than here.

Good luck Callum, hoping to get up Dorchester on Saturday because I feel so disillusioned at the moment the last place I want to be is Home Park.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
MarkMatthews":23zze8tt said:
Seen it time and again from Adams empty words to buy more time to allow his dismal record drag on. Its disgraceful, an absolute joke, which makes a complete mockery of the academy, a complete mockery of the work Kevin Hodges and his staff do and the reason why I have previously stated that I would never donate a single ha'penny of my money or a millisecond of time to helping out the academy because there is no point.

I understand your disappointment, but you're going way, way over the top there.

It's also worth pointing out that Dorchester aren't in the Conference, or even in Conference South, but the Southern Premier League.

Excelling at that level doesn't necessarily mean too much at an aspiring Championship football club, I'd share your disillusion IF Argyle staff hadn't been to see him once, but I find that very hard to believe.

Disappointing news but I'm inclined to think there must be a good reason for this, especially given the timing.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Biggs":erwh6odu said:
MarkMatthews":erwh6odu said:
Seen it time and again from Adams empty words to buy more time to allow his dismal record drag on. Its disgraceful, an absolute joke, which makes a complete mockery of the academy, a complete mockery of the work Kevin Hodges and his staff do and the reason why I have previously stated that I would never donate a single ha'penny of my money or a millisecond of time to helping out the academy because there is no point.

It's also worth pointing out that Dorchester aren't in the Conference, or even in Conference South, but the Southern Premier League.

Excelling at that level doesn't necessarily mean too much at an aspiring Championship football club, I'd share your disillusion IF Argyle staff hadn't been to see him once, but I find that very hard to believe.

Disappointing news but I'm inclined to think there must be a good reason for this, especially given the timing.

Is the point that he goes out on loan, comes back, goes out again to a slightly better standard... so on and so forth, until he reaches a level where he is deemed good enough for the first team. Most PL youngsters are being loaned in L2 so its common practice that they drop down, prove themselves and move up the ladder.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Biggs":224sng0d said:
MarkMatthews":224sng0d said:

If Dorchester are not good enough for his development then why loan him out to that club? He can only do his best where he was sent, and by reading reports, I think he has done well