Conor hourihane | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Conor hourihane

Aug 5, 2016
He better move in January and activate that sell on clause.

Knowing our luck (with Gosling, Bolasie and our sold-for-peanuts golden youth generation) he will leave on a free to a Prem club and once again we will get diddly squat for our role in producing yet another top tier player.

Feb 21, 2011
Three assists yesterday not bad for a player often berated by the Argyle faithful for being unable to play a forward pass.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
BadBoy":qmncip7m said:
Three assists yesterday not bad for a player often berated by the Argyle faithful for being unable to play a forward pass.

not 'unable' but 'unwilling' is the point I think. If he was unable then he wouldn't have been berated so much. Sheridan's fault but CH was part of keeping Sheridan here way too long ... imho! ;)

G

Greenskin

Pogleswoody":3r1tgyjq said:
BadBoy":3r1tgyjq said:

not 'unable' but 'unwilling' is the point I think. If he was unable then he wouldn't have been berated so much. Sheridan's fault but CH was part of keeping Sheridan here way too long ... imho! ;)

If you look at Hourihane's scoring record pre Sheridan and post Sheridan,then possibly a rethink may be in order on the positivity or otherwise of his contribution to the development of CH as an attacking midfielder.Another slant on the scenario is that if the board had had the bollocks to keep Hourihane instead of selling out,then maybe Sheridan would still be Argyle manager but in a higher division.Interesting stuff,eh.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'd love to know how you keep a young player who's determined to leave your club no matter what.

Perhaps with your vast managerial skills you could explain, and then some of us will listen.

Back to you.............

G

Greenskin

IJN":2s4khr6v said:
I'd love to know how you keep a young player who's determined to leave your club no matter what.

Perhaps with your vast managerial skills you could explain, and then some of us will listen.

Back to you.............

Not like you to slavishly support a boardroom decision.Looking forward to hearing your justification for selling Carey in January,seem to remember you were rather supportive of the fire sale in 2007.Still,always the apathetic janners to blame eh.

May 1, 2011
Greenskin":2x9cu83f said:
IJN":2x9cu83f said:

Back to you.............

Not like you to slavishly support a boardroom decision.Looking forward to hearing your justification for selling Carey in January,seem to remember you were rather supportive of the fire sale in 2007.Still,always the apathetic janners to blame eh.

Carey is not a young prospect on the way up, I wouldn't be so sure he will leave in January.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Greenskin":2mgem9td said:
IJN":2mgem9td said:

Back to you.............

Your memory deserts you then dear boy, hated every bit of that going on. However, unlike you, I didn't support the let's buy £1m pound players and be damned with the consequences.

However, answer the question, how would you get around the fact that a young player wanted to be away from the club?

Would you A) Make him stay, and to hell with the resulting problems B) Hope he changes his mind or C) Sell him for the maximum you can and lump on sell on clauses?

Fancy answering that?

G

Greenskin

IJN":2ipqqbsw said:
Greenskin":2ipqqbsw said:
IJN":2ipqqbsw said:

Back to you.............

Your memory deserts you then dear boy, hated every bit of that going on. However, unlike you, I didn't support the let's buy £1m pound players and be damned with the consequences.

However, answer the question, how would you get around the fact that a young player wanted to be away from the club?

Would you A) Make him stay, and to hell with the resulting problems B) Hope he changes his mind or C) Sell him for the maximum you can and lump on sell on clauses?

Fancy answering that?

:lol: Didn't realise you'd taken Trings mantle,i'm sure he'll be very pleased.

Don't think my memory deserts me at all actually,no doubt there would be some evidence somewhere on the internet but can't be arsed to look.Anyway,Hourihane was under contract and the ball was in Argyle's court.It would have done Hourihane no favours at all to be disruptive and if his performances had declined through attitudinal problems,then he may well have found that he was not such a hot property when his contract ran out.There were numerous previous examples of players whose contracts were running out in a year or so whereby the club put their on field prospects ahead of financial concerns and i seem to remember detailing some of them at the time-if you wish to look back through history to confirm that,your prerogative.I heard all the arguments about "harming career prospects" as well,the self same arguments as were put forward when people like Mariner and Gosling were sold but strangely there seemed to be very little counter argument about looking out for the prospects of Plymouth Argyle and their supporters,just for a fudgeing change.Who knows where the club and indeed Hourihane may have been now? I know one thing-the prospects of promotion in 2015 would have been a damned sight more likely with him in the team.

Feb 21, 2011
Pogleswoody":2gryh5m0 said:
BadBoy":2gryh5m0 said:

To be honest I doubt your average knee jerk moaner in the lyndy can tell the difference between unable and unwilling. Hourihane is easily the best player to pass through Home Park post administration, I take your point about keeping Sheridan in a job though.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Greenskin":1izwjkrd said:
IJN":1izwjkrd said:
Greenskin":1izwjkrd said:
IJN":1izwjkrd said:

Back to you.............

Fancy answering that?

Don't think my memory deserts me at all actually,no doubt there would be some evidence somewhere on the internet but can't be arsed to look.Anyway,Hourihane was under contract and the ball was in Argyle's court.It would have done Hourihane no favours at all to be disruptive and if his performances had declined through attitudinal problems,then he may well have found that he was not such a hot property when his contract ran out.There were numerous previous examples of players whose contracts were running out in a year or so whereby the club put their on field prospects ahead of financial concerns and i seem to remember detailing some of them at the time-if you wish to look back through history to confirm that,your prerogative.I heard all the arguments about "harming career prospects" as well,the self same arguments as were put forward when people like Mariner and Gosling were sold but strangely there seemed to be very little counter argument about looking out for the prospects of Plymouth Argyle and their supporters,just for a flipping change.Who knows where the club and indeed Hourihane may have been now? I know one thing-the prospects of promotion in 2015 would have been a damned sight more likely with him in the team.

I agree with your last sentence that's for sure. I'm positive with him in our team we would have gone up, unfortunately I know the truth behind his transfer and you'll just have to take my word for it, keeping him was not an option, the lad had made top his mind no matter what!

As for being compared with Tring, I can think of no worse insults than that, unfortunately it's one we can't swearcheck out!!

Regarding the fire sale, you can take my word for it, the selling of Norris in particular was like a steak through the heart, and I knew from that day onwards our CCC days would soon end. It was obvious really, the ground had to be paid for, and hence the selling spree. Again from memory that's why Footy stood down and hinted at that at the time.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Greenskin":2ptjsdnt said:
IJN":2ptjsdnt said:
Greenskin":2ptjsdnt said:
IJN":2ptjsdnt said:

Back to you.............

Fancy answering that?

Don't think my memory deserts me at all actually,no doubt there would be some evidence somewhere on the internet but can't be arsed to look.Anyway,Hourihane was under contract and the ball was in Argyle's court.It would have done Hourihane no favours at all to be disruptive and if his performances had declined through attitudinal problems,then he may well have found that he was not such a hot property when his contract ran out.There were numerous previous examples of players whose contracts were running out in a year or so whereby the club put their on field prospects ahead of financial concerns and i seem to remember detailing some of them at the time-if you wish to look back through history to confirm that,your prerogative.I heard all the arguments about "harming career prospects" as well,the self same arguments as were put forward when people like Mariner and Gosling were sold but strangely there seemed to be very little counter argument about looking out for the prospects of Plymouth Argyle and their supporters,just for a flipping change.Who knows where the club and indeed Hourihane may have been now? I know one thing-the prospects of promotion in 2015 would have been a damned sight more likely with him in the team.
There are many, many examples of how the contract situation heavily favours the player. Few (if any) managers, owners or chairmen would insist a player stays and then sit him in the stand and let him rot while his contract winds down. Once a player's mind is made up it becomes counter-productive to make him stay. Generally they become destructive; a distraction that can spread unrest through the squad. All the press coverage of the last few days of the move being discussed clearly indicated that there was nothing Argyle could do to make the player (and/or his agent) consider a further season at Home Park.

Aug 22, 2006
Hourihane.. Yet again another poor bit of business from us, unless we have a 30% sell on fee?