England Squad | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

England Squad

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
macleanie":2fmx1d2v said:
Does anyone else hope we play Pope in goal ahead of Butland and Pickford?

For me he's been one of the best keepers in the premier league this season. Butland and Pickford have been scrapping bottem end most of the season with quite a few errors. I understand he has little international experience but what does experience of international football matter when you're in goal. He stops shots for a living and has been the best English keeper at doing so this season. Why should he be 3rd choice?

Fair point.

I don't really care I'm just delighted that Hart isn't going BUT I'd go Butland to be honest. But you could make a case for a number of goalkeepers besides Hart to be starting. There's also Heaton, Scott Carson and Ruddy who have played well this season.

Adam_R":3uxh9hbi said:
Fat_green_belly":3uxh9hbi said:
I dont watch premiershite but have watched england on itv regular. I did watch one spurs/millwall cup game though
the season before last when pocchetinos lot won 6-0 using a 3421 with very attacking wing backs constantly on the ball.
Rose and trippier playing the roles that day for the lillywhites.
To me, southgates england look to be mirroring that system with similar emphasis on spurs ability that day, of passing and
playing it out from the back.
So my team on what ive seen, in a 3421 formation is.
Pickford in goal for his distribution. Not seen enough of him or the others to be entirely sure though.
Walker and rose as the attacking wingbacks. Trippier, young and trent-alexander as back up.
Cahill, stones and jones at centre back. Walker, maguire and dier as back up
Dier and henderson controlling in centre mid. Loftus-cheek, delph and trent-alexander as back up.
Sterling and ali as roving no 10 types. Lingard and rashford as back up.
Kane as the target man. Vardy and wellbeck as back up.
Gonna be a interesting one for me as still unsure about southgate at this level after witnessing some of his games in
charge of england u21s.
Tbf though he has done well with eng up to now, especially whilst blooding newer younger faces into the team and squad.
So fingers crossed and ever hopeful.
Whatever, looking forward to watching yet another WC. This will be my 14th. 1966 being my first.
Just a pity about the location this time though, and the next one come to think of it.
Bleddy blatter.

The problem i see with the 3421 is that out play is so pedestrian that the opposition will easily be able to cut off supply to those attacking wingbacks. Unless the ball gets out to them quickly their effectiveness is nullified.

People like Eriksen and Dembele allow them to be bought into play easily but will Dier and Henderson have the ability to do that?

If the opposition nullify that threat then our only option is for Alli or whoever to drop deeper to try and link up play with Kane which is also not as effective as Alli playing just behind him.
Yep fair point. Southgate does have previous on footie pedestrianisation. Time will tell i guess.
3421 is a possession based formation, as potentially you could have 6 players involved in midfield areas controlling
the game and tempo. If its not effective though it will be seen as pedestrian.
That 6-0 game was a perfect example of effective possession based footie. A bit of an eye opener for me at the time,
having been brought up on good old english bog standard 442/4411s.
Millwalls 2 banks of 4 were being ripped apart continuously whether they defended narrow(WBS left in space) or
wide(no 10s in space inside).
The quality of the football was just sublime at times. All pass and move.
Erikson and ali were the 2 no10s for spurs.
In the engine room that day was a big powerful ball winner(wanyana?) who could play a bit as well.
So dier taking that role is fine with me. I assume he plays that role for spurs as it is. The other guy was a very young
playmaker called harry winks and he had a really good game. Think of him as like a much younger/better version of foxy.
I believe winks is out injured otherwise he might have been considered for the WC as backup on that performance.
So henderson to play that role. Which he does pretty well for liverpool and england when ive seen him play.
Foxy plays sideways and backwards at times as well. Thats what playmakers do. Its all about retaining possession
and dictating the play.
If eng are to do well then the front 3 of kane, ali and sterling are the ones who have to hit it off together as an
effective attacking unit imho.
A bit like TLC did for us last season when finally joined in partnership. Up to now i dont think SAK are as effective
as we need them to be. Still pretty young and inexperienced tbf.
The rest of the team is pretty solid and we do have some really good attacking WBs out wide so you never know.
Having said all this southgate will probably start with a 442. :lol: