What are your expectations for England? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What are your expectations for England?

How well will England do in Russia?

• Knocked out in the group stage

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Round of 16

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Quarter final

Votes: 42 47.7%
  • Semi final

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Runner up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winner

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Don't care, I'm Argyle and that's it!

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
So how are we gonna do then? High expectations for England, or an early trip home? No prizes, just a bit of fun!

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Getting out of the group will be about as much as I can expect from England. Think the round of 16 is as far as we'll go though.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Logically, the ability to end up leading their table comes down to the result of the Belgium game. To win it should allow an easier game in the rounds proper. When I see the likes of Lukaku, Hazard, Coutois, Fellanini, Vertongan and others in form for Belgium means a win is a hard task

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Out at the 16 stage.

We have a functional team lacking some flair and relying on the pace of the erratic Sterling and the goal scoring skills of Kane and perhaps Vardy.

Which is enough to get out of the group but not enough to go further than the second round of games.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
I think Quarter Finals like we usually do in tournaments. But that would actually be a success considering how poor we are compared to the great generation of 04-10.

Plus that and we haven't got to a Quarter Final since 2012.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
r4h4al said:
I think Quarter Finals like we usually do in tournaments. But that would actually be a success considering how poor we are compared to the great generation of 04-10.

Plus that and we haven't got to a Quarter Final since 2012.[/quote

We don't usually make the quarter finals any more. Haven't done for a long time (2006). We didn't get out of the group in 2012.

Sep 13, 2003
monkeywrench":1tztvs7o said:
r4h4al":1tztvs7o said:

We don't usually make the quarter finals any more. Haven't done for a long time (2006). We didn't get out of the group in 2012.

Monkeywrench, England did get out of the group in 2012...we drew with France and beat Sweden and the hosts Ukraine. We lost to Italy on penalties in the knockout.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
I think we will make it to the quarter finals getting knocked out by either Germany or Brazil.

Saying that we could come unstuck against either Poland or Columbia in the round of 16...

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I'm not making a prediction, because I really don't know.

Tis a funny thing, the World Cup. Every 4 years I spend 99% of the time thinking England have no chance and then, about a month or so before it starts, my heart says "you know, we could win this!" Inevitably however, it ends in disappointment.

You need a bit of luck in any competition and, if we get that, who knows? I really don't think we will win it (sorry heart), but we could go a long way... or we could go out in the group stage.

I would like to see Kane and Vardy start (particularly if we get out of the group). I would be delighted with three 1-0 wins in the group stage. We always start too fast in my opinion - we should save our better performances for later.

Enough of my ramblings, I'm going to enjoy winding up my Italian friends while we are still in it!!

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I think we've got enough to get past whoever gets out of Group H (Poland, Colombia, Senegal and Japan), although we are also perfectly capable of losing to each of them. The problem is that if we get past that stage we're likely to have to play either Germany or Brazil in the quarter-final, which wouldn't be pretty.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Clarke_B":uff6vvxa said:
monkeywrench":uff6vvxa said:
r4h4al":uff6vvxa said:

Monkeywrench, England did get out of the group in 2012...we drew with France and beat Sweden and the hosts Ukraine. We lost to Italy on penalties in the knockout.

My mistake, I was thinking world Cup in 2014.

We've not won a knock out match since 2006. A pretty terrible record in recent years.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
We always start too fast in my opinion - we should save our better performances for later.

That's a very good point. I never looked at it like that before. Then if you like at the winners, for example Greece in 04, Italy 06, Spain in 08 and 10, Portugal 16, They all started very poorly and I think got beaten in the group stages but then they went on to win it.

Brussels Bureaucrat":1cm7awjn said:
I think we've got enough to get past whoever gets out of Group H (Poland, Colombia, Senegal and Japan), although we are also perfectly capable of losing to each of them. The problem is that if we get past that stage we're likely to have to play either Germany or Brazil in the quarter-final, which wouldn't be pretty.

Exactly. Especially if it's Germany. Just look what they did to us in 2010. But I suppose we always have a chance if they play poorly and we take our chances.

We've not won a knock out match since 2006. A pretty terrible record in recent years.

That's a point, and the last time we won a knockout match Michael Carrick played. So underused by England.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Lousy_Pint":2oizff4z said:
I'm not making a prediction, because I really don't know.

Tis a funny thing, the World Cup. Every 4 years I spend 99% of the time thinking England have no chance and then, about a month or so before it starts, my heart says "you know, we could win this!" Inevitably however, it ends in disappointment.

You need a bit of luck in any competition and, if we get that, who knows? I really don't think we will win it (sorry heart), but we could go a long way... or we could go out in the group stage.

I would like to see Kane and Vardy start (particularly if we get out of the group). I would be delighted with three 1-0 wins in the group stage. We always start too fast in my opinion - we should save our better performances for later.

Enough of my ramblings, I'm going to enjoy winding up my Italian friends while we are still in it!!
kevin,you have a PM mate.