The Verdict so far? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Verdict so far?

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Well we’ve seen all the teams now – so what’s the verdict?

IMO it’s been a great start – really enjoyed it so far. It looks more open than expected with all the big guns struggling to some extent. The one classic game that stands out was the Spain – Portugal thriller. I can’t stand the bloke but boy, didn’t Ronaldo really deliver at last in a WC …… maybe this will be HIS tournament like Maradona in ’86 or Pele in ’70 or Cruyff ’74 ? The Mexico-Germany game was amazing …….. who’d have thought the Germans would look so tactically inept? Felt sorry for Columbia last night losing a player so early but played well with 10 men and Peru really unlucky I thought ……. The South American fans have turned up in huge numbers and bring a lot of colour to the tournament in contrast to the English who have clearly been scared off by all the pre-tournament bad publicity about Russia. But it seems that to our surprise the Russians have been great hosts according to virtually all reports – very hospitable, friendly and well organised with Moscow acting as a hub for all sorts of fans to mingle.

Still can’t see anyone stopping Spain ….. and Costa to be top scorer.

Can't wait for more.......

Sep 13, 2003
Ave it...I dont agree that the English fans have been scared off by going to Russia in the slightest. That is the view by the media, in particular the Red tops and most other papers on both side of the political fence.
The English travel club has been in decline for years....ever since Germany 2006. Its more to do with the terrible tournament performances, ever increasing costs and finally the perception that Russia is not easy to navigate around. Funnily enough its pretty easy to get around ! If anyone has ever thought of coming here, then do it!
My favourite tournament experience so far. Its a history boffins dream come true !
One surprise for me....its so flaming cheap! For tourists anyway...not for the locals, so I am tipping well.

May 22, 2006
is that true? always wanted to visit Russia but almost every blog i've read talks about how expensive it is. maybe that's just Moscow.

As for the tournament, having a good old time so far. I'm usually flagging by now, desperate for the riff raff to go home so that we can get on with the knock-out stage, but right now it's hard to see who the riff-raff actually is (all right, Saudi Arabia aside...). Most of the underdogs are giving good accounts of themselves.

They can chuck VAR in the bin, though.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Clarke_B":u8ogjs0j said:
Ave it...I dont agree that the English fans have been scared off by going to Russia in the slightest. That is the view by the media, in particular the Red tops and most other papers on both side of the political fence.
The English travel club has been in decline for years....ever since Germany 2006. Its more to do with the terrible tournament performances, ever increasing costs and finally the perception that Russia is not easy to navigate around. Funnily enough its pretty easy to get around ! If anyone has ever thought of coming here, then do it!
My favourite tournament experience so far. Its a history boffins dream come true !
One surprise for me....its so flaming cheap! For tourists anyway...not for the locals, so I am tipping well.
Good to hear but the numbers of England fans are way down and can't be just down to bad performances. We have had a barrage of stories about racist, homophobic Russians who may target England fans. When Arsenal played there last season there were all sorts of warnings - even from Russian authorities about where not to go & not to walk to the stadium etc. etc. That must have had a big impact - I would guess many more may belatedly try to get there now we've seen a much friendlier Russian face presented.

I went to Moscow on business two years ago. The people I met were all friendly enough - but people generally are all over the world I find. Can't say I noticed it being particularly cheap though - although i guess i was either with business types or in touristy areas. Easy to get around? ......Not with my sense of direction! I got horribly lost on the underground :facepalm: but kind of enjoyed it (some amazing stations I wasn't actually planning to visit).

Anyway, have a great time mate.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Nearly all of the top strikers have already come to the party by banging in the goals and in most cases they have hardly touched the ball during the game but when it matters they score.
It's Messi's turn today.

The tournament seems well organised, the TV camera angles and super slow motion are excellent and the predicted hooliganism just hasn't happened.

And unusually the group games have been entertaining with no 0-0 draws so far

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I don't bet but I wonder what the odds would have been if someone had forecast 3 x 1-0 scorelines in yesterday's games when each game was almost a David v Goliath scenario.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Looks like Messi is going home early - C'mon Iceland!! They were a shambles - if Croatia hadn't played safe first half they could have really hammered them on a par with Germany-Brazil last time I reckon. Croatia looked good when they went for it - solid, skillful, organised, street-wise. Dark horses?

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
Watching Argentina getting hammered by Croatia last night, I was surprised at the general tone of the pundits/commentators etc along the lines of, "how sad/ what a pity/ shadow of their former selves/ demise of a great football nation" etc etc. Unless I'm overlooking something, this IS the Argentina who's World Cup Final record reads as follows:

* in 1966 attempted to kick England out of their own World Cup and were referred to by Sir Alf as 'playing like animals'.
* in 1978 delayed the kick off to their own Group 2 match until they knew the result of the Brazil game and how many goals they needed to beat Peru by. Needing to win by four clear goals they 'miraculously' won 6-0 amidst rumours (never proved!) that money or threats had played a part in the result...
* in 1986 made their way to the Final courtesy of 'the hand of God'.
* in 1990, versus Germany had two players sent off in what was described as the 'most cynical' of all World Cup Finals.
* in 1994 had our 'hand of God' friend expelled for drug misuse.
* in 1998 defeated 10-man England courtesy of a Simeone Oscar-winning collapse to the ground when 'touched' on the leg by a prone David Beckham. Simeone later admitted that he had deliberately schemed to get Beckham sent off.

Hmm... don't think I'll be crying for YOU, Argentina - the Wycombe Wanderers of world football.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Enjoying it, especially the Croatia Argentina game last night. Maybe Germany Sweden will have a similarly pleasurable outcome?

Can't stand the continuous replaying of tackles/fouls, especially when it means missing the following action... it happened two or three times last night.

And, silly me, as each day passes, my hopes for England increase!!!