Why we should withdraw from the world cup | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Why we should withdraw from the world cup

Once we have confirmation of Russia’s involvement in the Salisbury incident, I think we should withdraw from the World Cup. I can think of no other way of bringing this to the world’s attention, and convincing Putin we are treating this seriously, unlike the last occasion. I think this is the only action which would properly affect Putin as he attempts to portray Russia as a leading influencer in world affairs. I know that all ‘keep sport out of politics’ believers will disagree, but I really can’t see a more appropriate course of action in preventing state terrorism.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I don't disagree but it has to be done en masse, which isn't going to happen sadly. It is depressing that such a deeply corrupt and dangerous regime keeps getting rewarded with prestige sporting events like the World Cup, the Winter Olympics and the F1, but that's money poisoning for you.

Aug 3, 2017
I doubt the full investigation will be complete prior to the World Cup. I have to ask though, as it’s something that we currently do not know....IF Sergei Skripal was still an MI5 informant, would you consider it any different?

I mean, if Burgess and Maclean - the last known Bristish defectors (though many many years ago and are probably dead from old age) - were still informing the FSB would you care if either ‘disappeared’? Honestly, I wouldn’t. So I cannot be hypocritical.

But it is a big IF!

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
crownhillpilgrim":1htbmqdm said:
I don't get the fuss. I mean, the bloke was a spy. I would be disappointed if someone wasn't trying to of him.

Yeah and the policeman who went to investigate wasn't a spy, nor were the kids walking through the park that day, or the publican/restauranteur or the good people of Salisbury.
British park on a Sunday ?? .. yeah no need for any fuss at all!

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Whatever the rights or wrongs, and wherever blame lies (yes, very likely with Russia on the evidence), does anyone seriously believe for one second that, in the world of realpolitik, England are going to boycott the World Cup over this? It's a preposterous notion, and of course fully in keeping with its originator, our esteemed foreign secretary and duplicitous windbag-in-chief, Boris Johnson.

The world really doesn't give a toss, and why should it when immeasurably worse things happen every minute of every day - just not in little ol' England?

Sep 13, 2003
Well I'm not boycotting the World Cup and I don't see why football is being used as a political tool by the idiots at Parliament.

Do not feel sorry for Mr Skripal at all, he was a Russian spy who pood on his country from a great height. Who I do feel sorry for are his daughter, mop's and the emergency services who were effected. Sounds like Wiltshire Police haven't treated this a full scale CBRN incident straight away...why was the police officer who fell ill also allowed to go to Skripal's home afterwards?!

G

greengiant1886

Clarke_B":1vph3fm7 said:
Well I'm not boycotting the World Cup and I don't see why football is being used as a political tool by the idiots at Parliament.

Do not feel sorry for Mr Skripal at all, he was a Russian spy who pood on his country from a great height. Who I do feel sorry for are his daughter, mop's and the emergency services who were effected. Sounds like Wiltshire Police haven't treated this a full scale CBRN incident straight away...why was the police officer who fell ill also allowed to go to Skripal's home afterwards?!
So you don’t feel sorry for a guy that realised that his country was a menace and tried to help another country that he felt could do better for the world? Bizarre - if i felt my country was being run by a regime that would never give up power democratically I would be the first to turn on it.

He was traded as a political prisoner by the Russian government; not to feel sorry for him is bordering on psychotic as far as I’m concerned.

Sep 13, 2003
greengiant1886":24dzujsm said:
Clarke_B":24dzujsm said:

So you don’t feel sorry for a guy that realised that his country was a menace and tried to help another country that he felt could do better for the world? Bizarre - if i felt my country was being run by a regime that would never give up power democratically I would be the first to turn on it.

He was traded as a political prisoner by the Russian government; not to feel sorry for him is bordering on psychotic as far as I’m concerned.

Well I must be psychotic then. Thanks for the diagnosis doctor.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
greengiant1886":2c200999 said:
Clarke_B":2c200999 said:

Some of the comments on this site really do make me laugh. So, in your view "Russia is a menace". So, was it Russia whose bombs have killed over a million Iraqi's and Afghani's over the last 20 years ?. Is it Russia who have placed ABM shields and troops on the United States border or is it the other way around ?. Is it Russia who saw the overthrowing of democratically elected leaders in Libya, Iraq, Ukraine and have supported terrorists to try and do the same in Syria ?. The attitude of some people in the West truly does astound me. Sadly all it does is show how blindly and willingly some people in the West tend to base their view of the world on what they hear on BBC news, it's no wonder our countries foreign policy is a joke when they have the support of people like you.

The even funnier thing is that people like you that Russia would order a hut on a spy, in Britain, using a nerve agent which could be traced back to the Russian military. Might just be me but I think that Russia's military and Putin have a bit more intelligence than that, but hey what do I know. I would also wonder how many British agents who turned rogue have been killed in a similar manner by MI5 etc.

I am not for one minute condoning what has happened, I hope that those responsible pay a very, very heavy price, but it seems to me that people willingly swallow what you hear on mainstream news without any semblance of critical thinking whatsoever.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
..."That was a party political broadcast on behalf of Motherland Russia for the state presidential election. And now on BBC1, 'Jackanory', sponsored by RT"....

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Emeraldinho":2vf1sfka said:
..."That was a party political broadcast on behalf of Motherland Russia for the state presidential election. And now on BBC1, 'Jackanory', sponsored by RT"....
Governments the world over (especially one-party states like Russia) just love citizens like you - unquestioningly loyal to whatever country you happen to have been born in.

I thought this thread should have started life on the Opinions board, and now I'm sure of it!