Remaining old stand demolition | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Remaining old stand demolition

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
mervyn":1xf5yrfi said:
Is the remnant of the old stand being demolished in one go, with explosives, or knocked down piece by piece? I ask the question because if the former I’d like to go and watch. Anyone know?

It's not going anywhere, the current structure will remain with a new roof, seats, concourse etc.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
I must admit, there is hell of a lot more of it 'gone' than I imagined.
What was the 'extra' cost for a total rebuild? It has gone so far that I was beginning to wonder whether modern materials and methods would have made the total rebuild 'easier'.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
It was planned to be "knocked down piece by piece" by explosions going off every time Argyle scored at Home Park, but then they realised it could take all season to finish the job. :coat: :coat:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Pogleswoody":1t2uiuvn said:
What was the 'extra' cost for a total rebuild? It has gone so far that I was beginning to wonder whether modern materials and methods would have made the total rebuild 'easier'.

It would have costs between £4m and £4.5 million EXTRA to build new apparently.

That's helluva lot of money that we haven't got! :shock:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":3jc8eh97 said:
Pogleswoody":3jc8eh97 said:

It would have costs between £4m and £4.5 million EXTRA to build new apparently.

That's helluva lot of money that we haven't got! :shock:

Thanks Ian. Not suggesting that we do that, as I say, I'm just surprised at the extent of the demolition.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I know when it was seen how bare bones it was, loads and loads of people have asked the same question.

It almost seems to make sense to build new, I certainly thought that, but no one can argue with the finances, although I have no doubt that certain people will.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Just think to start again the existing concrete and metal frame would have to be removed, foundations dug up (and think of the drainage if the foundations are removed), all of the above then subsequently replaced with new foundations, structure etc.

Always looks simpler I'm sure but once you think about what needs to be done it's easy to start adding up the cost.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Exactly. The foundations, steel structure and concrete terracing make up the majority of the building itself.

I don't understand how anyone can say that's such a trifling thing that you may as well knock it down. If the grandstand were a human body, what we have at the moment is the skeleton and muscles. Now we need to put in the brain, skin and the mother of all penis extensions :coat: