Page 10 of 11

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 17:11 19 May 2020
by davegreenarmy
MickyD wrote: Maybe The End or Chelsea Girl by Nico - achingly beautiful melodies and soundscapes coupled with Nico's achingly beautiful delivery.

An acquired taste, perhaps, but worth the effort.

Listen to the full albums here and there.

Edit - oh, they're supposed to be in that 1001 book, aren't they? No idea if either is, but both should be! :clap:


Just heard this for the first time. Definitely acquired.

Her voice and singing delivery reminds me of Anika. Would suggest checking her out given your Nico tendencies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nohvkBvkKRs&list=LLZDGOZQ9XhZBISou7J4ad6g&index=19

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 16:07 21 May 2020
by MickyD
Thanks for the link. It's interesting to hear, but it's basically "Young person channels Chrissie Hynde via Nico."

It's like I've said a few times over the years to my now 25-year-old son: I feel for much of his generation because they have so little original to call their own - they're still listening to what I was when I was their age, or just modern variations on it.

A couple of years ago I saw a crazy band called Moonlandingz in a sweaty dive club with my son. I loved it, and I said afterwards that it was the most punk gig I'd seen since punk itself. Trouble was, I'd actually seen punk itself the first time around, over four decades earlier!

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 10:12 22 May 2020
by davegreenarmy
MickyD wrote: Thanks for the link. It's interesting to hear, but it's basically "Young person channels Chrissie Hynde via Nico."

It's like I've said a few times over the years to my now 25-year-old son: I feel for much of his generation because they have so little original to call their own - they're still listening to what I was when I was their age, or just modern variations on it.

A couple of years ago I saw a crazy band called Moonlandingz in a sweaty dive club with my son. I loved it, and I said afterwards that it was the most punk gig I'd seen since punk itself. Trouble was, I'd actually seen punk itself the first time around, over four decades earlier!


Very true re: very little original to call their own. Could be said that the new incarnations do things (in a lot of instances) better though ;)?

I appreciate earlier bands used polyrhythms. but late 90s/early 00s mathcore stuff was pretty dam original... The Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, even metalcore stuff like early Parkway Drive etc.

Talking of The Dillinger Escape Plan, if you want to see crazy bands definitely check out their gig footage on youtube. Greg Puciato has a well-deserved reputation as one of the most batsh*t crazy front men (not quite on the same level as GG Allin, but getting there).

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 12:37 22 May 2020
by Quinny
Devongreenowl wrote: Don’t know what most of PASOTI have been doing during lockdown, but right at the beginning I decided I was going to spend some time properly listening to some classic albums.

I am a bit of a vinyl nerd and am fortunate enough to have an extensive collection from the 60's to the present day. I decided to start listening to stuff from the 60's/70's first and several weeks in I have only just started on the 80's. My only rule has been that the album must feature in the 1001 albums you must hear before you die book.

I’m almost embarrassed to admit I’ve listened to about 60 albums and done very little DIY!
Albums range from Beatles Abbey Road, Lou Reed Transformer, Dylan Blood on the Tracks, Springsteen Born to Run. As I type this, I’m listening to The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead.

So my question is if you had to choose one classic Album to listen to for the last time, what would it be?


Sorry, seen this thread late (been off this site for a while).

I've done the 1,001... album challenge, except I was so much of a nerd that, at the time (this was back in November 2010) I made a list of all the changes in the previous editions, so it started off being 1,024 albums (IIR). My only goal was to listen to them all within a calendar year.

Which I did.

It wasn't easy - Spotify's catalogue wasn't massive at the time and Napster was better - but not perfect. But between my own album collection (I had over 100 of the albums in my own collection), Napster, YouTube, the now defunct Grooveshark (that was a good streaming service) and other, er, less legal streaming methods, I completed the challenge.

Except I didn't stop there. My addictive brain demanded I create a spreadsheet so I had a date when I listened to each album - even gave each album an out of five rating, but I continued listing every album I ever listen to. For various reasons (marriage, fatherhood, health reasons) my listening rate has dropped but I'm currently listening to album 6,590 since November 2010 (Richard Thompson's Dream Attic). I'm hoping to get to 7,000 by November 2020...

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 12:39 22 May 2020
by Quinny
Oh, best album I'd never heard of when I did the 1,001 album challenge: The Monks - Black Monk Time. The roots of punk are right there. An angry album in the Summer of Love...

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 17:00 22 May 2020
by Pogleswoody
Love The Cocteau Twins, after resisting them for a while cos, with a name like that, I ain't gonna like 'em! :eh:

Four Calendar Cafe. The last track - Pur just builds and builds, swirls around in your head, play it loud and it swirl and builds and she's got that other wordly voice and it ends lingering on that note (bit like a Beatle's 'trick') great stuff! A work of art tbh!! :nworthy: (IMHO! :oops: )

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 21:38 25 May 2020
by Forest of Dean Green
Pogleswoody wrote: Love The Cocteau Twins, after resisting them for a while cos, with a name like that, I ain't gonna like 'em! :eh:

Four Calendar Cafe. The last track - Pur just builds and builds, swirls around in your head, play it loud and it swirl and builds and she's got that other wordly voice and it ends lingering on that note (bit like a Beatle's 'trick') great stuff! A work of art tbh!! :nworthy: (IMHO! :oops: )


One of the bands of my youth! Loved them. Liz Fraser is still, for me, one of the finest vocalists when she is in full slight. Treasure would probably be my fave album. Pur is a hell of a song btw!

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 01:48 19 Jun 2020
by Lev Yashin
Just finished listening to the greatest hits of Vera Lynn makes me a very old git but remembering my parents dancing to and singing to these truly memorable songs.
RIP to a fantastic lady.

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 07:55 19 Jun 2020
by Pogleswoody
Lev Yashin wrote: Just finished listening to the greatest hits of Vera Lynn makes me a very old git but remembering my parents dancing to and singing to these truly memorable songs.
RIP to a fantastic lady.


Remember my Mum and Dad singing: 'Whale meat again' as a rationing 'joke'.

Heard: 'When the lights go on again all over the world' on the radio yesterday.
Made me cry just thinking about her and so appropriate for our pandemic times too.
What a 'wrench' (in a nice way) she had in her voice.
Upset me yesterday, imagine guys like my Dad, six years away, VE Day; 'Off you pop to fight the Japs Donald, toodle pip!'

To finally get peace and the start of a return to normality, these lyerics (qv) would have really got to you! :cry:


...... and the boys are home again all over the world
And rain or snow is all that may fall from the skies above
A kiss won't mean "goodbye" but "Hello to love"
When the lights go on again all over the world.

RIP Vera Lynn, Everybody's Sweetheart.

Sorry, carried away, I'll copy this to 'Just stop dying' thread.

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 20:03 23 Aug 2020
by Kentishgreen
Having just seen a Ford ad featuring 21st Century Scitzoid Man one of mine would be King Crimson. One of the first gigs I went to at the VanDyke. Couldn’t hear for days afterwards.

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 18:39 28 Aug 2020
by Pogleswoody
Not sure if it counts as a 'classic' but I listened to 'I trawl the megahertz' by Paddy McAloon today. :nworthy:

I was cleaning the oven so had my head down and in :oops: so I thought I'd move away from screen based entertainment and play a cd!!

Anyway it is certainly 'different' more poetry, classical, soundtrack than pop. But worth a go if you like a variety of music. :thumbs:

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 22:24 28 Aug 2020
by Argylegames
Pogleswoody wrote: Not sure if it counts as a 'classic' but I listened to 'I trawl the megahertz' by Paddy McAloon today. :nworthy:

I was cleaning the oven so had my head down and in :oops: so I thought I'd move away from screen based entertainment and play a cd!!

Anyway it is certainly 'different' more poetry, classical, soundtrack than pop. But worth a go if you like a variety of music. :thumbs:


Glad nobody turned on the gas Pogles!

Re: Classic Albums

Posted: 15:06 29 Aug 2020
by Pogleswoody
Argylegames wrote:
Pogleswoody wrote: Not sure if it counts as a 'classic' but I listened to 'I trawl the megahertz' by Paddy McAloon today. :nworthy:

I was cleaning the oven so had my head down and in so I thought I'd move away from screen based entertainment and play a cd!!

Anyway it is certainly 'different' more poetry, classical, soundtrack than pop. But worth a go if you like a variety of music. :thumbs:


Glad nobody turned on the gas Pogles!


You trying to roast me Ag??

Anyway followed it up with Edwyn Collins:

I've never known a grill like you before. :coat: