• Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

England v Scotland

Ponty

English and proud of it
Staff member
R.I.P
Sep 27, 2006
Plymouth
Very disappointed with the performance but we're still unbeaten and we'll win on Tuesday.
What happens when we meet the class teams fills me with dread though.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Iā€™d be going with this on Tuesday:

Pickford

Trippier, Stones, Mings, Chilwell

Mount, Rice

Sancho, Foden, Grealish

Kane

Quite simply I think Gareth Southgate needs to let go of his obsession with cautious slow possession/ball recycling and instead give our attacking players the license to be creative and to play with real flare. If he does that we may then see what this group is capable of.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I can understand why Southgate plays defensively - to protect our weak back 4 (even weaker whilst Maguire is unavailable). But we had Scotland pinned back in their own area, we desperately needed Kane and DCL in the box to win headers or knock-downs... so he brings Rashford on. What is the point?! To utilise his pace... against a team playing a low block?!

Terrible game management.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":33ubixab said:
I can understand why Southgate plays defensively - to protect our weak back 4 (even weaker whilst Maguire is unavailable). But we had Scotland pinned back in their own area, we desperately needed Kane and DCL in the box to win headers or knock-downs... so he brings Rashford on. What is the point?! To utilise his pace... against a team playing a low block?!

Terrible game management.

I had no real issue with Kane going off as he was a mile off the pace and barely touched the ball, but to replace him with Rashford instead of DCL was really, really odd.

Dec 30, 2020
Cobi Budge":fnnqzcwv said:
Iā€™m really concerned that weā€™re about to squander another golden generation because of completely inadequate & overly conservative management. Iā€™m desperate for Southgate to prove me wrong but with the tactical naivety on display tonight, right now I canā€™t see that happening.

"Another"??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I hope Mr Southgate watched the Germany v Portugal match. That's how to play football. None of this petrified to lose possession crap!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Scotland played with incredible determination and motivation. It was England and this was their ā€˜finalā€™. I will be surprised if they play with the same commitment and energy against Croatia.
Similarly, I will be surprised if England are as ineffective against the Czechs.
I will continue to support England and Gareth Southgate until we are out of the Euros and beyond.
There have been some very unreasonable assessments of Englandā€™s performance. This type of performance regularly happens in the early stages of the FA Cup when lower league teams are drawn against Premier League teams.
I think that Southgate has been brave in bringing young players like Foden, Mount, Sancho, Bellingham, Phillips and others into his squad.
Generally, since he has been our manager, he has received a lot of praise and, suddenly, after drawing with Scotland, he is considered a very poor manager with no tactical nous.
We are 2 games into the Euros with 4 points but, to read some comments, you would think that we were on the verge of being knocked out. We havenā€™t conceded a goal yet and I thought that our central defence was our ā€˜weakest linkā€™.
Letā€™s get behind Gareth and his young team.
I seem to remember that our early progress in World Cup 1966 was not particularly smooth in the early stages.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Iā€™ve just read today, a comment by Brian Glanville, a well known and respected football corespondent, about Englandā€™s performance in the first match of the World Cup finals in 1966, a 0-0 draw against Uruguay.
ā€œā€¦dreadfulā€¦the most arid of goalless drawsā€¦with Alf Ramseyā€™s team selection curiously obtuseā€.
Perhaps, thereā€™s still hope.

Dec 30, 2020
The trajectory of hype and then over-correction that England follow through every tournament is predictable, but still incredible to watch unfold in real time.

it isn't just about England. There is an opposition in these games, and they don't passively show up to accept whatever performance we choose to turn in. Scotland have a core of good Premier League players and fought exceptionally hard for their point. Croatia had an experienced side primarily composed of players from top clubs around Europe, one of the best midfielders in the world and plenty of tournament experience.

Even with our 'golden generation' of Jordan Pickford, Tyrone Mings and Declan Rice we don't have the right to be blowing these teams away. No-one does - look at France drawing with Hungary or Spain failing to win a game as yet.

Other teams have looked more impressive but 4 points from 2 games, no goals conceded and needing a win in a home game to top the group is not a bad position at this stage.